CONTEST: win a free Makala Tenor Ukulele

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently just joined the forum a few days ago for some advice about ukulele's.

There aren't much music stores around my area. With the few that are in my area, I found that the ukulele's were very overpriced for my budget and simply did not sound good to my ear. I have never seen nor touched a ukulele in my life and actually was inspired from the many ukulele players on youtube ( Jake S. IZ etc. ). With youtube being the only way for me to get a taste of what kind of ukulele to get, I found that I fell in love with pitch of the tenor ukulele. After posting my thread a few days ago I was quickly told about a tenor ukulele that was going to be given away. I thought that this would be a perfect opportunity. I thought to myself " Why not start off with my first ukulele that has been in someone else's hands? " I thought that if I were to start off with an experienced ukulele that has been in the hands of an experienced player that it would even help spark my interest even more and bring my playing to the next level.

I know that If I were win this ukulele I would take full advantage of it. Already I have been excited to get my hands on an ukulele to just jam with my friends. I love how the ukulele is so small and portable that I could just bring it with me anywhere and start playing. The only instrument I have played in my life is a piano, and well, we all know that pianos aren't exactly the easiest things to lug around. I have even found myself looking on youtube and even here for tabs on how to play some songs on the ukulele even though I have nothing to practice on.

I wish the best for whoever wins and thank you Deach for giving everyone a chance for an awesome gift!

-Jeremy

J,

I dont mean to call you out, but I just thought this post was kind of funny. How did you see and hear the overpriced ukes that didnt sound right to your ear, and also never see or touch a uke in your life? haha thats great! In another thread you said that while shopping for your first uke, you had picked out one for $100-ish. You aren't alone though, I think Phatso, who plays a similaryly crappy uke to what I have, is a 'firemedic'. That sounds like it comes with a paycheque. Others who submitted have a supporting cast of players with instruments to learn on.

I think the point of Deach's gesture was to give it to someone that really needs it, and either doesnt have a uke or badly needs a decent one to get any better, a la the junk $20 crap some of us play. Deach probably isnt giving it to me, but I figure if you have the skrilla to pick up a makala or better on your own, or if you have the support of other uke people, have atter and let us know how that goes. Leave this one for someone who without this gesture won't be able to grow their skills and share their enthusiasm with others. I surely cannot learn 'Guitar gently weeps' in half an hour, especially not on my junky $20 soprano, but when I eventually get a decnt tenor, and with some good practice I might learn it eventually, and the practice and patience, and enjoyment, is kind of what its all about... isnt it?

That's my take on it. I hope it doesnt sound like sour grapes. Everyone on here needs a decent uke, and I am pretty pumped that someone on here is so generous, and I will be glad to see how it helps the deserving winner.

Phil

Song Entry

This goes to the tune of Robert Johnson's 'Red Hot Tamales' -

Got a cheapie ukulele and I love it a lot
Got a cheapie ukulele, it's the only one I got.
My son laughs and says it's a toy
With his Fylde Falstaff he's one spoilt boy
Got a cheapie ukulele and I love it a lot.

Got a cheapie ukulele cos my money's all spent
Since my poppa left me, I can't find the rent.
I beeswaxed the fretboard and I bought new strings
Wanna learn to play just everything
Got a cheapie ukulele cos my money's all spent.

Got a cheapie ukulele, my niece has got a beaut.
Her vintage Favilla sounds just like a lute.
She plays in the family band and I will too
Sister Sarah's gonna play a song for you
Got a cheapie ukulele but my niece, she has a beaut

Got a cheapie ukulele, I think you get my drift.
A fine Makala tenor, that would be a gift.
This is no essay and I'm in the UK
Though the extra shipping costs I'd gladly pay.
Got a cheapie ukulele, I think you get my drift.

By the way, the pics of my cheapie uke failed to download - don't know why -but I hope to upgrade next month anyway. Someone else deserves the Makala far more than I do. I just had fun writing these lyrics and wanted to share.

Great song! Yours is certainly the most creative so far... Thumbs up for going a bit off the map like that.

Deach, It is very commendable of you to have this contest! Heres my 'essay'

I actually want to vouch for someone else to get an ukulele. I think EleoCasil's nephew Andrew should get this ukulele. Andrew is actually a member of this forum under the name 'skaterboy'.

This kid has a real talent for music. He loves to play the guitar AND the ukulele but he just doesn't have a uke. I was hanging out over at their house yesterday preparing for eleo's birthday party and I was able to teach Andrew some stuff on the ukulele. What's crazy is that yesterday I taught him While my guitar gently weeps AND Dragon. He picks up on stuff so fast. To learn the songs it probably only took him 30 minutes EACH. I was like WOW this kid learns fast. :eek: The entire time I was there he was playing ukulele from 12pm until 10pm. He played and played until his fingers hurt.

For now I let him borrow my terrible soprano Hilo ukulele which sounds like a toy. I can just imagine if he had a decent uke to learn on. If you saw him play you would see that he has so much potential and just needs to be given the opportunity with a decent ukulele. I do hope you consider Andrew. He's a good kid who loves to learn and aspires to become a great uke player one day. Personally, I don't know anybody who is more deserving of an ukulele than Andrew.

I JUST LOVE YOUR ESSAY!!!!!!

Very cool thing to do. I don't have any reason to deserve this uke, so I won't even try, but I commend you for looking for a deserving person to receive it.

I'm ending this contest at 5 PM EST Friday. This means less than 48 hours to get your entry in. Once time is up, I'd like everyone to vote for the winner. That's right, I'm copping out, I have a difficult time making decisions. Good luck to everyone!

HELLO...I VOTE FOR DAVOOMAC ESSAY!!!!!!!!!!

Hope you find my vote helpful!!

HELLO...I VOTE FOR DAVOOMAC ESSAY!!!!!!!!!!

Hope you find my vote helpful!!
[/SIZE]

there's still another day left for submissions. let's hold off on the voting until Friday night.

is this the ukulele you bought of ebay for about $60??

Cause its a good sounding uke and the winner is lucky :D

It was about $100 US. It included aquila string, a case and a chord chart.

J,

I dont mean to call you out, but I just thought this post was kind of funny. How did you see and hear the overpriced ukes that didnt sound right to your ear, and also never see or touch a uke in your life? haha thats great! In another thread you said that while shopping for your first uke, you had picked out one for $100-ish. You aren't alone though, I think Phatso, who plays a similaryly crappy uke to what I have, is a 'firemedic'. That sounds like it comes with a paycheque. Others who submitted have a supporting cast of players with instruments to learn on.

I think the point of Deach's gesture was to give it to someone that really needs it, and either doesnt have a uke or badly needs a decent one to get any better, a la the junk $20 crap some of us play. Deach probably isnt giving it to me, but I figure if you have the skrilla to pick up a makala or better on your own, or if you have the support of other uke people, have atter and let us know how that goes. Leave this one for someone who without this gesture won't be able to grow their skills and share their enthusiasm with others. I surely cannot learn 'Guitar gently weeps' in half an hour, especially not on my junky $20 soprano, but when I eventually get a decnt tenor, and with some good practice I might learn it eventually, and the practice and patience, and enjoyment, is kind of what its all about... isn't it?

That's my take on it. I hope it doesn't sound like sour grapes. Everyone on here needs a decent uke, and I am pretty pumped that someone on here is so generous, and I will be glad to see how it helps the deserving winner.

Phil

Haha true, i totally contradicted myself there. But what I meant was upon those few ukulele's I bumped into at the guitar shops for a short while (where I basically had a choice between a blue or pink plastic body with plastic string across them that sounded like rubber bands across a tissue box; basically looked like something I could purchase at a souvenir shop in a Hawaii airport ) I have never really touched one nor own one. True, my reason for entering is very different from most of the other entries, but I'm truly someone who would greatly appreciate and put to use an awesome instrument. And I'm pretty sure whoever wins will really deserve it and appreciate it as much as I would.

Uke giveaway

What an awsum jesture!!! Soooo cool.
I'm am entering for my son. He is talented and the father of 3 grade school age kids. He is playinf a piece or crap uke that he bought off of E-Bay. Strings like fishing line! Wood like cardboard. His wife doesn't work so that she be a stay-at-home mom. NO extra money in that house! The kids all want to play his uke, but he is afaid for it's life. Getting this uke would be a true win-win deal as both my son AND the grandkids can play together. I hope this idea of yours catches on. Many folks would benifit. I wish I had a uke that I could also give away. Great job!

For a friend

What a great opportunity this is, to win a beautiful instrument that only seems to bring people joy. I’m writing on behalf of my dearest friend, Jimmy Nguyen. He’s a simple, sweet, and caring guy who loves nothing more then to be with family and friends, constantly smiling. A few years ago, his brother bought him a toy ukulele – he hasn’t been able to put it down since. I’ve seen him stressed and upset about a lot of things since I’ve known him – school, family, LIFE – but the one thing that makes him forget it all is that ukulele. He just picks it up, puts on a good song, and jams out. It’s one of those things he runs home to, a chance to play some tunes with his buddies accompanying him on drums, guitar, bass, maracas, and tambourine. Nothing else matters when he plays, and I’ll admit, its contagious. Seeing him, like a kid, so happy making lighthearted music, really does make me feel the same. Unfortunately, his current uke really is just a toy, and it has suffered some heat damage. I know he’d be thrilled with a new, ‘real’ instrument to call his own. So, on his behalf, I’ve briefly sketched out an “ode” of what I believe the ukulele means to Jimmy. Hopefully it’s enough to convince you that this instrument really would mean the world to him.

Music from my uke,
A sound so sweet.
The melodies created,
Carry through the street.

As a student, its tough,
Finding purpose in life.
But playing my uke,
Helps to rid of the strife.

My heart takes over,
What my mind cannot do.
It dreams a sweet tune,
That my uke makes true.

The music surrounds me,
It rings in my soul.
Rules are forgotten,
And I just lose control.

Grey skies clear,
The sun seems to smile.
I should be in class,
But this is much more worthwhile.

Nothing else matters,
I am truly content.
Hours with my uke,
Is a life well spent.

Less than 90 minutes left to submit your essay. Good luck to everyone!

Good luck to everyone who entered, I've read most and they're all worthy entries. I think the lucky winner should at least post Deach a thanks card back!

It was really hard to pick someone to vote for. There are so many worthy recipients. After thinking it through, davoomac's entry gets my vote.

Good luck to all.

P.S. The two song/poem entries are awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom