Corey Fujimoto's personal gear

bdjansen

Reaction score
I think I would say that Corey Fujimoto is my favorite ukulele player. (I'm sure he's in most of your list of favorites too :))

He obviously sounds great playing anything as he demos ukes on YouTube, but I'm wondering if anyone knows what he's actually chosen to own?

I watched him and Kalei play on the "Music & Meals for Maui" concert just recently thinking maybe I'd see his personal uke when they came on but he played a sweet little anuenue guitar instead :).

It would be great if Corey and Kalei did a segment on one of their shows about the ukes they own, strings they prefer on them, that kind of stuff. Would that compromise the sales aspect of the broadcasts?

While I was at the shop Kalei mentioned he has played a Kamaka tenor for many years .
He also plays Anuenue since becoming the USA distributor .
I think he said he prefers D'Addario Clear Nylon on his Kamaka but does play other strings .

Last edited:
Would that compromise the sales aspect of the broadcasts?
I think it would cause a run on whatever products are mentioned, fairly or unfairly....so AK better make sure TUS has the stock to handle it!

I'm sure they would respond to an email inquiry to the shop .

Last edited:
Corey is my favorite player too! I love his style and I love how he picks with all 5 fingers.

I don't think Corey has many ukes. He has sold his ukes on this forum at times. Last year he did get a custom Kamaka with a Cedar top and walnut back and sides. It is beautiful!!

Kalei on the other hand has a bunch. I remember when they had flooding in Haleiwa some years back Kalei was commenting on saving his ukes and he had about 15 at the time (if my memory serves me right).

Last edited:
Since Corey and Kalei work for aNueNue now, they are probably not too interested in endorsing other brands, especially for new products.

I'm guessing that they both got started with ukulele during the 1970s or 1980s. That is long before most of the modern brands were founded (Kanilea, Koolau, Koaloha were all founded in the mid-1990s; the Chinese import brands didn't start until the 2000s). In the 1970s, the most popular good quality ukuleles in Hawaii were Kamaka and Martin and a few smaller brands that don't exist any more (G-String, Imua, Tangi, Kelii, etc). If Corey and Kalei showed off their favorite childhood ukuleles, I bet they would be Kamakas. Same is true of Aldrine, Jake, Taimane, Brittni, Herb Jr, etc.

I did think I was watching one video when Corey said his favorite wood combo was cedar over rosewood. I think it was when they were reviewing a bunch of the lattice braced Ponos.

And anuenue does make a cedar over rosewood bird series 🤔

I think I remember an episode where Corey mentioned he was gifted a Moore Bettah after their friend, Uncle Len passed away. I'm sure that's up on his list!

I did think I was watching one video when Corey said his favorite wood combo was cedar over rosewood. I think it was when they were reviewing a bunch of the lattice braced Ponos.
At the LA Uke Fest last weekend, I heard him say he has recently shifted to liking Cedar/Ebony more than rosewood. I think he said because the ebony brings a bit more clarity and brightness to better balance the cedar while rosewood might be a little warmer.

Thoughts above are right, where it seems they play mostly aNueNue for events, as that's who they're repping.

I know Corey also has a Chambered Electric (CE) Ko'olau.

I watched him and Kalei play on the "Music & Meals for Maui" concert just recently thinking maybe I'd see his personal uke when they came on but he played a sweet little anuenue guitar instead :).
I'm pretty sure his aNueNue guitar of choice lately has been the LS600.

When he's on the podcast and they have a guest to back, he usually picks up Andrew's personal Ko'olau guitar that Noa made him for his bday. When I see that guitar and Kalei on his personal spruce Moonbird, I know the episode's gonna be good!!

I suspect these guys both play Kamaka as a baseline. I recall a video where they were joking about a Kamaka “feeling like home.” I also imagine that they (like many of us) have a variety of instruments in their stables. And I am guessing they keep their opinions a little quieter since they have business relationships to nurture.

Lots of great instruments in this world!

He had two Ko'olau's CS and a Deluxe model, I think 8 years ago. I don't think he is a collector like Kalei.

Last edited:
Top Bottom