Crack in top worth worrying about?

engravertom

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I got this online from goodwill. $65 shipped. Sounds great. Didn’t see the crack in the photos on line.

Should I try hydrating it? Glueing it? Not worry about it?

I know it’s not worth investing $$ in repairing it, but it might be worth the effort for me as a learning experience.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7111.jpeg
    IMG_7111.jpeg
    82.6 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_7115.jpeg
    IMG_7115.jpeg
    173 KB · Views: 105
Hello everyone,

I got this online from goodwill. $65 shipped. Sounds great. Didn’t see the crack in the photos on line.

I know it’s not worth investing $$ in repairing it, but it might be worth the effort for me as a learning experience.

Thanks!

Don't worry about it. Gives it character.

It Might start running along the wood grain lines and get longer. But it's so close to the edge of the bout and all that glued on stuff underneath it so doesn't have far to run. That uke still might outlive us...

Is this that Kala SSTU-t that was on eBay a couple of weeks ago? I almost bid on that one... the tops on those rival a potato chip for thickness as well. If so: Expect the crack to get a bit longer, and deal with it.

It Might start running along the wood grain lines and get longer. But it's so close to the edge of the bout and all that glued on stuff underneath it so doesn't have far to run. That uke still might outlive us...

Is this that Kala SSTU-t that was on eBay a couple of weeks ago? I almost bid on that one... the tops on those rival a potato chip for thickness as well. If so: Expect the crack to get a bit longer, and deal with it.
Actually I got it on goodwillfinds.com Usually I wait for them to discount stuff before I buy anything from them, but once I saw that the shipping was reasonable I jumped on it.

I had just passed on a mint Martin OKX on reverb, so I didn’t want to wait.

Thanks for the info!

You could just rub some wood glue like Titebond into the crack to keep it stable
Thanks!

I found a good tutorial covering that. I will probably try that. Maybe I will eventually back my way into building something…but I have commitment issues…🙂

It doesn't look like a shrinkage crack to me - probably caused by a knock or undue pressure. It's in a position that is hard to reach inside, to fit a cleat, so I would echo the advice of EDW. (y)

Hello everyone,

Thanks!
If it was mine, I'd work on it.

I would either leave it alone, or percuss some HHG into the crack. With Titebond you only have one shot at it and if it doesn’t work you have done more harm than good. HHG can always be reconstituted with heat and moisture, so you can repeat the process as necessary.

I went ahead and did some work on it.

I went with some titebond in the crack in the top. I used a light clamp to make the two sides of the crack set at the same level.

The glue held, and the crack has held together.

There was still some roughness on top of the crack, plus the long scratch along the edge.

I decided to try a superglue fill.

After that cured, I did the razor blade scrape, sand, and applied some clear spar varnish.

I steel wooled that down to cut the shine, and I am calling it done.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about how to approach it!

Attachments

• IMG_7111.jpeg
    IMG_7111.jpeg
    82.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_7128.jpeg
    IMG_7128.jpeg
    139.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_7212.jpeg
    IMG_7212.jpeg
    134.9 KB · Views: 55
Looks fantastic. Nice job. I have an all solid Acacia Concert with a crack on the line where the top was joined below the bridge. You have given me the confidence to give it some CA and sand down and polish the area.
Good on you for getting it done.

Top Bottom