Creative outlets

Yeah, Laura, my wife was interested in those adult coloring books too, but she doesn't have time any more. She usta do Zentangles and Sudoku too. She also draws stuff in an old Bible; I dunno what she calls it.

As I said before, I'm looking for something besides music to do. I like to do stuff with my mind rather than build stuff. The trouble with building stuff is that then you have find somewhere to put it and the machinery you need.

I guess we're all lucky that we have too much leisure time on our hands. It could be much worse-a busy, busy, busy! :eek:ld:

I guess we're all lucky that we have too much leisure time on our hands. It could be much worse-a busy, busy, busy! :eek:ld:

Too much?? What is this "too much" of which you speak?? :) Hmmm, I don't feel as if I have nearly enough! I mean - I suppose it could be worse (I realize not everybody has the luxury of "only" having to work 40ish hours a week) but man, I constantly dream about all the things I could do if I wasn't chained to a desk for most of the day Monday thru Friday. First world problems, I know, I know...

Well, work now, and, someday, you'll be old and bored by having already done everything, as we oldies are. :eek:ld:

Ha ha, I think you're a few years older than me, but not much (I'm 50) - you're probably part of the last generation in the U.S. for whom "retirement" may have been an option! Those of us on the slightly younger side will probably have to keep working - on the plus side, boredom has never been an issue for me and probably never will be :)

Well, janeray1940, I'm waaaaay older than you. I retired when I was about your age and went to college for a BA and MA. Then I did other unproductive stuff for a while and retired again for good.

They say that work is good for us, though I never really thought much of that idea. Anyway, if you're working 40 hours a week, save as much $$$ as you can and find someone to help you invest it. Fifty is still young; you've got plenty of time to improve your future.

We only live one life, so we oughta make it as nice as we can! :eek:ld:

Ha ha, I think you're a few years older than me, but not much (I'm 50) - you're probably part of the last generation in the U.S. for whom "retirement" may have been an option! Those of us on the slightly younger side will probably have to keep working - on the plus side, boredom has never been an issue for me and probably never will be :)

I agree with you. I am 57. My dad worked for NOAA, and had been retired for two years by the time he was 57. Before retirement, he banked his vacation and took real time off. I remember several four week cross country trips we took every few years - no checking in or answering phone calls etc. either. So, his generation had real time to recharge and to have creative outlets.

For me, "retiring" will consist of only working my 9 month teaching contract, instead of doing all the overload, course reviews, tutoring etc. that I am doing now which keeps me working 12 months (and which pays for my UAS). My target is to slow down to just the nine month contract when I am 60, and retire at 67, but do adjunct online classes in lieu of being a Walmart greeter.

I thought this thread was about being creative with ones's free time.

We're born, life's "what one makes it", and then we die. :cheers: :eek:ld:

I just added Sudoku to my iPad and played a game--piece of cake, but my wife says "no, wait'll you get to the difficult ones!" Hmmm, we'll see.

I do a lot better with puzzles than I do with games. I always lose my cool with games when I don't win. :eek:ld:

I like word games more than Sudoku. My current favorite is Cricklers - I like the News puzzle.
http://www.crickler.com/
The person that runs the site is named Crick. His father was one of the pair - Watson and Crick - who discovered DNA.

Top Bottom