Curious about "Sold" Items in the UU Market Place

jopatm

Reaction score
Aloha all.
Does the forum have any suggestions or rules that If an item is sold, bought, and paid for the seller should remove said post?
This would certainly "clean up" the site quite a bit. I know that on FB Ukulele Marketplace there is a rule that the post should be
removed if an item sells. Is that not the case here?
Curious,
Pat

I think the old posts are a good reference for specifications and pricing for vintage instruments. I don't think they clutter the forum since they float to the bottom of the forum if they are not updated.
Their presence also creates a "digital" paper trail as it were so any interested party can see the uke's history on the site.

Their presence also creates a "digital" paper trail as it were so any interested party can see the uke's history on the site.
This is true - a lot of people who resell ukuleles previously purchased on Marketplace reference the original or previous Marketplace posting.

Since we've recently added the labels to the thread titles, that helps a lot to determine the current status of a Marketplace posting, and those bright red sold labels are pretty obvious now.

As to the OP's question, no, it is not currently a requirement on the Marketplace forum to require sold posts be removed by the seller. Would you like to offer this as a suggestion, or are you just sussing out thoughts on the idea?

a lot of people who resell ukuleles previously purchased on Marketplace reference the original or previous Marketplace posting.

Since so many sales in the Marketplace are between members, I really WANT to see those old listings -- not just for the price (although that's very worthwhile to have!), but also for the conversations on the threads.

Facebook is stream-based, so whether or not they get rid of old posts is kind of irrelevant. Here, those old posts are our equity. They're how people make their way to us, typically by searching for specific information. Sure, if it's about general questions, we'll have plenty of threads about it, but if it's about a specific ukulele, people will often land on a Marketplace listing, even if it's sold. The information is still good.

So I'm going to put a firm close on this and say that it would be A Very Bad Thing to delete "old" Marketplace listings for the same reason that it is A Very Bad Thing to delete "old" threads. The information is still solid, and if you find that information for the first time tomorrow, then it's new to you! "Old" posts really are the reason why we're still around for people to make new posts! :)

And that most definitely includes Marketplace posts, which tend to be hyper-specific in ways that regular threads aren't, making them uniquely valuable in their own special way!

Mahalo,
Tim
Mod

Last edited:
I believe the person who originally posted an item on UU Marketplace can change part of the listing, such as the price, or delete the whole posting if they so desire.

I believe the person who originally posted an item on UU Marketplace can change part of the listing, such as the price, or delete the whole posting if they so desire.

They can, and sometimes do, but I don't want to encourage it. I certainly don't want to make a policy moving in that direction.

I'd honestly rather not delete anything for any reason than propriety's sake. Our best efforts at diligence notwithstanding, we do come across older posts now and again that definitely need deleting. :)

Otherwise, as @man0a noted above, if nobody's posting on the thread, it naturally drifts down the stack, out of everyone's way, but if anyone wants the information later, it's available.

I like to see the old ads very much, and even more so if they don't delete the price. I know it's 100% the sellers choice to delete the price, but it seems so cruel, like ripping apart a history book to remove certain info, for no discernable reason whatsoever. Who seemingly benefits from removing prices?

I know you can filter posts and they are otherwise by last comment date, but I'd love to see all marketplace posts that are marked as "Sold," "Acquired" or "No longer Available" be immediately demoted to below active listings. That way the first few pages are always the stuff that's still available (or still wanted), and not 1/3 "Sold" posts.

It might also solve the complaints about "bumping" that were discussed in a different thread. If your older, active sale post isn't buried under a bunch of "Sold" listings, there won't be as much of a need to bring it to the front.

I know you can filter posts and they are otherwise by last comment date, but I'd love to see all marketplace posts that are marked as "Sold," "Acquired" or "No longer Available" be immediately demoted to below active listings.

An interesting idea that I'll look into, but I'm not hopeful. My understanding is that the sorting is handled by one parameter at a time, and the controlling parameter throughout the site is time. Most recent on top.

For all that those colored prefixes LOOK like separate objects -- and act something like objects, in that you can click on one and call up all the posts in that forum with that prefix -- all they are, technologically speaking, is styled text in the thread name. It's just an HTML block. I don't think that sorting threads by name is even an option that's currently built into the system. It would require a fundamental rewrite of the system. Even if I could do that, once you selected that "sort alphabetical" option, you'd no longer be able to sort by date, so it wouldn't solve the problem of pushing sold listings below open ones.

Now that I think about it, since it's an HTML block, it'd start with a symbol, which would put it at the TOP of the list, so that it'd take a reverse alphabetical sort to put them at the bottom.... which might be the least useful way imaginable to view a forum with 16,000 posts in it. :)

In the meantime, it's an inevitable side effect of the recent uptick of ukuleles for sale that we're going to have more ukuleles sold! And I'm going to guess that in the next six weeks or so, that number will go up even farther as people use the holidays as motivation to finally get around to listing the ukes they've been meaning to rehome. The only solution I see for now is to let the cycle of the seasons do its thing, and wait for the balance to shift back to a more typical mix.

Mahalo,
Tim
Mod

I think leaving things alone right now is the way to proceed.

Otherwise, the first thing we might see are 22 pages of ukuleles that never had a "Sold" sign (most before current changes). Then we get a bunch of "Is this still available?" posts, then....

And, besides, I like the time sorting of posts in all the different forums best. Currently, bumping is not an issue.

Tim has the solution right there is his post. OP just needs to click on the green FOR SALE tag on a post and all the rest go away.

This is one of my favorite features in the whole site, and I don't think many people use it! It's like magic!

Check it out. Here, I've clicked on "For Sale", and this is what it looks like on mobile.

Screenshot_20231012-083907.png

Only stuff for sale: no solds, no withdrawn listings, no trades -- just sales.

One I use a LOT is the Price Drop prefix. I do this at Amazon and other places, too -- "Start by showing me what's on sale, and ONLY what's on sale." Surely I'm not the only one, yes?

Here, you click on the Price Drop prefix, and THIS is what you get:

Screenshot_20231012-083923.png

Nothing but the stuff that's priced to move! At least in the seller's eyes, but it's a great start. 😁

The prefixes work the same way everywhere in the site. It really is an awfully handy way to filter forums on one click, especially in the Marketplace where we've tagged pretty much every listing made in 2023, and certainly all of them going forward.

Thanks for bringing it up, @badhabits!

Mahalo,
Tim
Mod

Last edited:
A little late to the conversation but let me be another vote to keep the old posts. Just earlier this week, I bought a ukulele from someone who listed it in the Flea Market. Thanks to an old UU post from 2018, I was able to obtain an idea of its history, starting from the store it originally was purchased, to a well known UU member whose hands it passed through, and to the most recent owner. I even was able to source a sound sample. Talk about a trail of digital bread crumbs! This is a perfect example where an old marketplace thread continues to help both buyers and sellers.

Last edited:
I even was able to source a sound sample. Talk about digital bread crumbs! This is a perfect example where an old marketplace thread continues to help both buyers and sellers.

That's what I'm talking about! Thanks so much for such a thorough, specific, practical example!

I think this board is one of the best sources of (recent) ukulele history. Even if a particular thread is not relevant because the instrument has sold, the initial post, description, and any conversation is relevant information that can't be found anywhere else. I'll add my name to the list of those who have found great benefit from looking through an old UU post to learn more about the ukulele!

Aloha all.
Does the forum have any suggestions or rules that If an item is sold, bought, and paid for the seller should remove said post?
This would certainly "clean up" the site quite a bit. I know that on FB Ukulele Marketplace there is a rule that the post should be
removed if an item sells. Is that not the case here?
Curious,
Pat

I agree. If I'm looking at what's for sale, I don't have to see what's been sold. As for pricing, I can see that when the item is still up for sale.

Would we want to see ukes included that people are not interested in buying? 😂

Top Bottom