curved fretwire on uke

Be sure and heat each fret with a soldering iron before trying to pull them. Here are some pictures of a fret hammering caul that I make and sell to the students of my lutherie school. You first seat one end of the fret in the slot, place the caul over the fret and three quick, moderate blows with the hammer and the fret is fully seated. Because you are hitting the caul and not the fret there is no chance of dented fretboard, or bent or kinked frets.View attachment 171239View attachment 171240View attachment 171241
What type of wood did you use for the caul?

I don't think things will turn out too great if you already glued in the frets. How thick did you leave the fretboard? I just made a fretboard that is 7/64" thick, and my Martin Soprano is 3/32" thick. If you have enough fretboard left over after removing and replaining frets, it could still work with flat frets (unradiused).
I did manage to get them out and the fretboard was thick enough to deepen the frets and sand down the fretboard...it is pretty thin now, but should work...will get some flat frets and try again...thanks for the advice

What type of wood did you use for the caul?
The caul itself is 1/4”x1”x 2 1/2” steel. The wood handle is some local monkeypod. In this case the caul has a 12” radius, but I can do flat, 9”, 12” or 16”. It is important when hammering in frets that your base, that you are hammering on is as heavy and flat as possible. A concrete floor works well. I use my very heavy cast steel table saw to hammer on.

You could try grabbing the frets with a flush ground end nipper, they should come out even with glue. I would not use a chisel!
View attachment 171195
I managed to get them out- deepended slot and sanded down....do you think i can re-use the frets removed or will the "grips" on the tangs no longer grab the wood?

I managed to get them out- deepended slot and sanded down....do you think i can re-use the frets removed or will the "grips" on the tangs no longer grab the wood?
The barbs on the tangs would still probably be good, but aren't they kinda bent up? I would just buy new fret wire and toss the old frets.

Top Bottom