D'Addario J71 = D'Addario EJ65T Pro-Arte ?? (String inquiry)

aarondelacruz

Reaction score
Aloha,

Had a question recently about strings. I know Jake Shimabukuro specifically used the J71 set by D'Addario (he gave a set when I asked him what set he uses), but when I look around, especially locally, I can't find the "J71" set. Now going online, I found that the EJ65T Pro-Arte is very similar. I think it literally has the same strings, but it is branded a different name.

So I have to ask: are the D'Addario J71 the same as the D'Addario EJ65T Pro-Arte?

Mahalo nui.
Aaron

Yea ... one and da same. I forget when they went through the redesign and repackaging.

Yes, they're the same and I don't understand why the re-naming of the strings. Too confusing.

I read on another forum that the old numbering contained guitar-length strings while the new numbering contained strings that were the correct length for the advertised ukulele type (tenor, soprano, etc...). Any truth to that?

Probably. Doesn't really make a difference to us, other than guitar length is better value as you might be able to string 2 ukuleles.

I read on another forum that the old numbering contained guitar-length strings while the new numbering contained strings that were the correct length for the advertised ukulele type (tenor, soprano, etc...). Any truth to that?

I've had the old J71, I think, twice before and I don't recall them being guitar-length (I could be wrong). I think now that I have an EJ65T set and experience with both, I can speak a little bit about each set.

The J71 has 3 of the exact same gauge strings. I believe the 1st string for the J71 was 0.0290 inch in diameter while the EJ65T is 0.0285. Where they differ is string tension. The J71 has lighter tension on the 1st (11.6840 lb) and 4th (10.0000 lb) strings than the EJ65T (1st 13.170 lb)(4th 11.040 lb) while the EJ65T has lighter tension on the 2nd (9.590 lb) and 3rd (9.340 lb)(vs J71 2nd (10.6310 lb) and 3rd (10.6400)).

From my experience, the middle strings (2 and 3) for the J71 felt better than the EJ65T and the other two's differences are hardly noticeable. Now felt better is 100% subjective and unique to the individual. Personally, I like higher tension strings as they perform better when really digging in.

If I could, I would choose J71 every single time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom