Daniel Estrem - Bach

oldjazznut

Reaction score
Member? He has several preludes of these Bach cello suites, numbers 1-6.

Estrem is fabulous. He’s playing this in fifths. For those who play the standard low G tuning—that is, NOT tuned in fifths but in the normal ukulele intervals— there’s a wonderful (and in my opinion better) arrangement of that Bach prelude in Jeff Peterson’s classical book for low G (Graded Repertoire for Classical Ukulele).

Hello, just to add that our fellow member Jordi Vives i Battle (is he still active?) transcribed all the cello suites for low G uke in standard tuning. These are to be found on the site Musicexchange.
On the other hand, Daniel Sellman transcribed all the sonatas and partitas for solo violin and the cello suites for fifth tuning (notes and tabs). easy to find at Am*zon.

Playing Bach in fifth on the uke is particularily rewarding, because you can work with the original fingering and have a better understanding of the phrasing.
Hope this helps, regards.

@dear Patty,
You are perfectly right, Jeff Patterson's transcription is of the highest quality.
I don't know if you play high G uke as well but, if so, there's an equally jawdropping transcirption of the 1007 prelude by Ms Sam Muir available on her Patreon's page. So much cleverness in the full use of campanela scales (all the original notes are here, which is a real challenge) must be praised by any uke player.
Other great Bach pieces are to be found on her site.
Without any John King's transcriptions currently available, she is the most reliable source for the advanced player, in my opinion.
All the best — please permit me to acknowledge your wonderful smile (and pardon my french !)
Gilles

Last edited:
@dear Patty,
You are perfectly right, Jeff Patterson's transcription is of the highest quality.
I don't know if you play high G uke as well but, if so, there's an equally jawdropping transcirption of the 1007 prelude by Ms Sam Muir available on her Patreon's page. So much cleverness in the full use of campanela scales (all the original notes are here, which is a real challenge) must be praised by any uke player.
Other great Bach pieces are to be found on her site.
Without any John King's transcriptions currently available, she is the most reliable source for the advanced player, in my opinion.
All the best — please permit me to acknowledge your wonderful smile (and pardon my french !)
Gilles
Hi, @gilles T. You’re right—Samantha Muir is a genius. But most high-G transcriptions of classical pieces turn the music on its head.

For example, there are high-G versions of Bach’s Prelude in C (from the Well-Tempered Clavier) in which the arpeggios begin in the middle (!) then drop down to the second note and continue, because in re-entrant tuning there’s no low note. Sounds absurd!

I truly admire Sam Muir for what she does, though. She doesn’t mutilate a classical piece to force it into re-entrant tuning.

Estrem is fabulous. He’s playing this in fifths. For those who play the standard low G tuning—that is, NOT tuned in fifths but in the normal ukulele intervals— there’s a wonderful (and in my opinion better) arrangement of that Bach prelude in Jeff Peterson’s classical book for low G (Graded Repertoire for Classical Ukulele).

Please explain what you meant by playing in fifths but not tuned in fifths...

Thanks! There's always something challenging to comprehend and you're all keeping me young. 🌱

Please explain what you meant by playing in fifths but not tuned in fifths...
By “playing in fifths,” I mean that his ukulele is tuned in fifths. Instead of the usual low-G ukulele tuning, GCEA, where the intervals between the notes of the open strings are a fourth, a third, and a fourth, he tunes his strings in intervals of a fifth, like a violin (GDAE).

Thanks for the clarification, Patty! I read it several times over, but I just wasn't following for some reason.

Top Bottom