Daniel Estrem's arrangements

hello,

I'm also very interested by Mr. Estrem arrangements and found nothing on the net. Any clues welcome...
That said, the Bach cello suites transcribed for low- g uke by our fellow member Jordi Vives i Batlle are very good too. You can download them here : http://www.scoreexchange.com/search?q=jordi+vives

Cheers,
Gilles

Thank you for posting this question. I had never heard of him before, but I really like his playing and arrangements! It seems he is just starting to become active on Youtube, user name : "pluckedstring"
If anyone knows how to get a hold of him, I am sure many of us here would love to purchase some of his arrangements.
:D

Hi....Daniel Estrem here.
Sorry there are no arrangements available. I performed the 6 Bach cello suites on YouTube (36 videos) and was reading from violin scores with the ukulele tuned in fifths. One can find online transcriptions of the suites from cello to violin. Both instruments are tuned in fifths, which complicates things a bit. I had to create my own set of strings using a guitar string for the low and a lute string for the high. Maybe someday a string company will make a set for this purpose. The next challenge is to find out where the notes are. I tune the ukulele a third lower than a violin so the high string won't break so often and read as if the uke is a violin (or mandolin).
Tuning in fifths dramatically increases the range of the ukulele and allows one to play all the notes that are on the score without having to mess with "arranging".
It would be quite useful (if somebody has the spare time) to put the cello suites into tab. I actually prefer tab if tunings deviate too much from the normal.

The Magnatune recordings are done with low G and high G tunings. There was a bit of music in tab, but most was read from the score. ...hope this helps

Thank you so much for sharing with us your process. This is very insightful. Maybe it is time to restring one of my ukes...
Keep up the good work with the playing and arranging! I will be following you on your Youtube channel. :D

Stenuke,

Rob McKillop has spared you the work of putting them in tab. He tabbed them out for tenor banjo (also tuned in fifths) in his book, Bach's Cello Suites I-III Arranged for Tenor Banjo. The book assumes CGDA tuning, but it works equally well in GDAE (Rob even plays some of the music in AEBF#).

Hope that helps!

Great! That should make some people happy. I wasn't planning on doing the task myself....too busy playing music. Hopefully Rob will get to Suites IV-VI. They
are a bit more challenging to play. The cello suites are some of the best and most accessible music of Bach and have been played on an amazing array of instruments. This is the perfect excuse to go out and buy another uke--then you can string it in fifths and leave it be.

Many thanks to Mr. Estrem for his insightful answer. I think many forumers around will be very grateful if he lets us know what gauges are the best suited for a tenor tuned in fifths, but the are quite a few informations about this online, especially at the Mandolin Cafe forum.

That said, now that we know that that the key is a fifth tuning, some of you may be happy to know that the suites for cello, and all of the sonatas and partitas for violin have been carefully transcribed in staff AND TAB by Daniel Sellam, in two volumes, nice and very friendly priced, available for purchase online.
I don't know if I can put a commercial link here, so on the "big river" site, just search the key words "bach for mandolin" in the books sections, and you'll find them quite easily.
Regards,
Gilles

Amazing! Thank you all, for introducing me to this subject. Now I have to decide which to do first, listen to more recordings, buy tabs or strings. I love the cello suites.

Hi....Daniel Estrem here.
I performed the 6 Bach cello suites on YouTube (36 videos) and was reading from violin scores with the ukulele tuned in fifths. Both instruments are tuned in fifths, which complicates things a bit.
Hi,
I’m trying my hand at Cello Suite 6 and am wanting to clarifying the tuning in relation to octave references. Is the Uke tuned 1 octave higher than the cello? See below:

Uke: G3-C4-E4-A4 (Low G tuning)
Uke: C3-G3-D4-A4 (Cello tuning)
Cello: C2-G2-D3-A3

I tune the ukulele a third lower than a violin so the high string won't break so often and read as if the uke is a violin (or mandolin).
Tuning in fifths dramatically increases the range of the ukulele and allows one to play all the notes that are on the score without having to mess with "arranging".

And for the violin sheet music, tuning a third lower than standard tuning would result in this (tuned in fifths still):

Violin: G3-D4–A4-E5
Uke: E3-B3-F#4-C#5 (violin tuning, a third lower)

Which tuning was used for the Cello Suite - the one in fifths relative to standard cello tuning or the tuning a third lower than violin but still tuned in fifths?

Thank you

Hi,
I’m trying my hand at Cello Suite 6 and am wanting to clarifying the tuning in relation to octave references. Is the Uke tuned 1 octave higher than the cello? See below:

Uke: G3-C4-E4-A4 (Low G tuning)
Uke: C3-G3-D4-A4 (Cello tuning)
Cello: C2-G2-D3-A3

And for the violin sheet music, tuning a third lower than standard tuning would result in this (tuned in fifths still):

Violin: G3-D4–A4-E5
Uke: E3-B3-F#4-C#5 (violin tuning, a third lower)

Which tuning was used for the Cello Suite - the one in fifths relative to standard cello tuning or the tuning a third lower than violin but still tuned in fifths?

Thank you
Could I ask a question in regard to this? I haven’t played fiddle in about 20 years and have zero desire to learn chord shapes in fifths. When playing, for example, this piece, are you basically just following the tabs? I could do that.

OK, two questions: when tuned in fifths, what do you think of the sound and playability of your uke? Do you think you maybe should just get a mandolin? (Also in the zero desire category).

If this works, it seems exciting. Maybe I should post this generally, don’t mean to be a hijacker.

I can’t answer for Daniel but you could look up his hundreds of ukulele videos on YouTube to see what it sounds like, not sure all of them will be tuned in fifths though. I can say one thing about fifths: it adds more range to it, like, a fifth more range.

Daniel says in his original post that he’s reading off violin sheet music for most of his cello suites pieces.

I can’t answer for Daniel but you could look up his hundreds of ukulele videos on YouTube to see what it sounds like, not sure all of them will be tuned in fifths though. I can say one thing about fifths: it adds more range to it, like, a fifth more range.

Daniel says in his original post that he’s reading off violin sheet music for most of his cello suites pieces.
Thanks I’ll check them out.

I saw that and would have a really hard time learning another fretboard map.

Top Bottom