DGBE Tuning On a Tenor

Aquilla 11U-ATGT is a set made for DGBE on a tenor. Replace the high D with a classical guitar A string single. can't help with the color
As someone who spent countless hours and dollars to get tenors (and concerts) tuned linear DGBE, I support this as one of the best ways.

Any normal tension classical guitar "A" string (5th) will give you low D.

Any normal tension classical guitar "D" string (4th) will give you low G.

In fact, despite your realizations you may still be overthinking things.

Want the easiest, laziest way to tune Tenor uke to linear DGBE? Buy any normal tension classical guitar set, and use the middle 4 strings (ADGB) and find that it conveniently tunes up to DGBE.

My preferred brands are D'addario Pro Arte nylon (if i want roundwound) or Thomastik Classical N if I want flatwounds.

As someone who spent countless hours and dollars to get tenors (and concerts) tuned linear DGBE, I support this as one of the best ways.

Any normal tension classical guitar "A" string (5th) will give you low D.

Any normal tension classical guitar "D" string (4th) will give you low G.

In fact, despite your realizations you may still be overthinking things.

Want the easiest, laziest way to tune Tenor uke to linear DGBE? Buy any normal tension classical guitar set, and use the middle 4 strings (ADGB) and find that it conveniently tunes up to DGBE.

My preferred brands are D'addario Pro Arte nylon (if i want roundwound) or Thomastik Classical N if I want flatwounds.
Using the 5th through 2nd of the La Bella 820s is more or less the same thing you're suggesting isn't it? The reason I took the plunge on those strings, was partially the red color, but what really drew me in was that they labeled them flamenco strings, which is a style of music that I like quite a bit.

They also said, despite the high tension, that "this set produces extremely brilliant tones with only the slightest left hand finger pressure".

Using the 5th through 2nd of the La Bella 820s is more or less the same thing you're suggesting isn't it? The reason I took the plunge on those strings, was partially the red color, but what really drew me in was that they labeled them flamenco strings, which is a style of music that I like quite a bit.

They also said, despite the high tension, that "this set produces extremely brilliant tones with only the slightest left hand finger pressure".
Yes, as far as I can tell the La Bella 820s are a classical guitar string set. So installing the 5th to 2nd should achieve low DGBE on a tenor.

I have a Kamaka Tenor tuned that way. It sounds better in DGBE than GCEA in my opinion.

I agree with Kissing that the Pro Arte is a great and easy solution. I, however, am not so particular about tension as long as it isn’t too loose.

Personally, I play a semi hollow Pono electric tenor and I tune up and down depending on what I want. I guess my set is tenor, I can’t remember, but don’t find it too loose when I tune down to DGBE. Sometimes I tune in between the two depending on what I need.

I don’t play Hawaiian or classical uke though I really like how uke sounds playing lute like pieces. I indulge in some strumming, some picking and some lead parts.

I go for more of a jazz/rock sound for my uke with it fed through various effects. People often think I’m playing electric guitar when they hear my recordings.

I play a lot of ubass and people say my sound is that of a stand up bass which is what I like. My bass hero is James Jamerson, the great Motown bassist, who played jazz when off duty, as did many Motown champs.

They asked Jamerson how often he changed his bass strings. He said never. That’s my philosophy these years.

I read that when Carl Perkins first started out he was so poor, coming from a sharecropper background, that when he broke a string on his guitar he had to tie it back together. Didn’t seem to hurt him too much. I, however, have never gone down that lonesome country road, even if I do occasionally wear blue suede shoes.

Just got the strings in the mail, and put the third on as the second string. The tension is actually extremely low though. Like borderline unplayable. I did want lower tension, but this is too much.

You think I should go through with putting on all four strings anyway?

Also, the strings aren't quite as big as I imagined, so the nut filing probably won't take too long. I do prefer smaller strings generally anyway.

I think I am going to just go ahead and string it up. It's not like I can return a string I've already put on the instrument, so I might as well test out the whole set.

Got it fully stringed up and holy s* I hate the sound hole on the Nova.... Which was the primary reason I wanted it. If I hadn't seen that flame shaped sound hole, I probably would never have tried ukulele. It makes changing all 4 strings a huge hassle though.

The wound strings gave me much less sound hole trouble than the nylons, but I had to use my fingers to pull the wound strings as taut and straight as I could.

Either way, time to learn some baritone songs.

Edit: the 2nd string being loose was just it needing to stretch... A lot.

Nice! I was about to say you just needed to stretch it out to bring it up to tension. Nylons stretch a lot.

Nice! The strings will need some time to stretch and settle. I’m curious to read your thoughts on the quality of the low-pitched tones when played on a Nova once the strings settle.

‘Ukulele looks like it belongs in a biker gang! You were on to something with the red strings on a black uke.

I was thinking they’d sound good; I like bright strings on Novas.
Yeah I'm liking them quite a bit. I almost want wound strings for the trebles too. Is that a thing anyone actually does? Too bad it would make them not red though.

The tension isn't an issue at all. It's actually noticeably lower than the daddario fluorocarbon strings that were on it before. Maybe tenor isn't as hard to play as those strings made me think.

Got it fully stringed up and holy s* I hate the sound hole on the Nova.... Which was the primary reason I wanted it. If I hadn't seen that flame shaped sound hole, I probably would never have tried ukulele. It makes changing all 4 strings a huge hassle though.

The wound strings gave me much less sound hole trouble than the nylons, but I had to use my fingers to pull the wound strings as taut and straight as I could.
I’m really confused - why does the sound hole affect changing strings? Does the tenor Nova have a string-through bridge?? (If so, yikes!)

Experimenting is fun, glad yours seems to be going well!

I’m really confused - why does the sound hole affect changing strings? Does the tenor Nova have a string-through bridge?? (If so, yikes!)

Experimenting is fun, glad yours seems to be going well!
Yeah it has a pull through bridge with holes to more easily put the string through (and more importantly, to take the knotted ends out), but the sound hole is on the side right next to the fretboard (not counting the flame design sound hole in the center, because you can't fit your fingers through it).

I've run into a problem though. Because of my bad dexterity and low strength (I guess I must be an int class lol) I can't make the knots very tight. There's extra string hanging down in every ukulele I've restringed. This is never been a problem before, but I've noticed a transient rattling sound that I think is caused by ends of the two wound strings touching on the inside. It doesn't rattle most of the time, just sometimes when I play a note on one of the wound strings. Especially if I pluck hard.

My reason for thinking it's the wound strings touching, is that I looked inside with a flashlight, and although it's hard to tell, it does look like they're very close to each other.

Edit: had a brainblast and made a hook with a paper clip. I was able to move the strings around, and I don't hear the rattle anymore.... so far.

Last edited:
Yeah it has a pull through bridge with holes to more easily put the string through (and more importantly, to take the knotted ends out), but the sound hole is on the side right next to the fretboard (not counting the flame design sound hole in the center, because you can't fit your fingers through it).
That’s different than the Nova soprano. Sounds painful!

I almost want wound strings for the trebles too. Is that a thing anyone actually does? Too bad it would make them not red though.

The tension isn't an issue at all. It's actually noticeably lower than the daddario fluorocarbon strings that were on it before..
Read on only if you’re serious about wound trebles (warning: fear of missing out ahead)…

Look into Thomastik-Infeld and Guadalupe Custom Strings. They both supply wound trebles in certain product lines, and Guadalupe may even be able to supply them in red. These strings are expensive and unlikely to be worth the investment at this stage of your musical journey.

Another somewhat more affordable option are Kala Pearls (discontinued but likely still available as new old stock if you seek them out). These strings are white-ish and available only in complete sets; you’d need to harvest only 2 of the strings from a complete set.

Read on only if you’re serious about wound trebles (warning: fear of missing out ahead)…

Look into Thomastik-Infeld and Guadalupe Custom Strings. They both supply wound trebles in certain product lines, and Guadalupe may even be able to supply them in red. These strings are expensive and unlikely to be worth the investment at this stage of your musical journey.

Another somewhat more affordable option are Kala Pearls (discontinued but likely still available as new old stock if you seek them out). These strings are white-ish and available only in complete sets; you’d need to harvest only 2 of the strings from a complete set.
I paid $15 for the la Bella's, and the brands you mentioned don't seem to be much higher. I definitely want to know more about wild strings, and have played them quite a bit before I splurge that much.

I found this set of just trebles that are nylon, and are labeled as flamenco strings. Only $7, though with tax and shipping, it would be more like $12-13. Not too bad. I noticed that they say hard tension, but the nylons on the bari-tenor are a bit lower tension than the wounds, so I think it might work out... Maybe? I would love to have all wound strings on a low G concert too though.

I'd probably keep the red trebles on the bari-tenor for the dog whistle colors, so maybe I should make a separate thread for discussing all wounds on a GCEA concert or tenor.

Edit: not sure what listing I looked at initially ,but both of those brands are around $40. I definitely want to know more about wound strings, and will play them quite a bit before I splurge that much.

Last edited:

I mean it's just something I want to try out, so $40 seems a bit unnecessary. It doesn't have to be silver, although I like that color a lot, but there's a lot of other metals and alloys that can achieve the same color.

I've noticed that all wound strings are precious metals, gold, silver, bronze and copper. I saw one that was steel. Is there a meaningful difference between these at all? (Other than price.)

Once I get my new higher quality tenor and concert(s), I may put all wound strings on at least one of them them, if I do end up liking it as much as I think I will.

Last edited:
Top Bottom