Distribution of playing across your collection?

Currently, I play low G concert the most, but I'm starting to get into baritone. I have a high G soprano, but that only comes out when I want to do strumming practice, and even then the low G concert is usually adequate.

Violins all look and sound the same? 😆😆😆😆. That sentence would cause a war in a violin forum 😁. They actually really vary in tone (separate from quality).
You bet it would! My cheap (but pleasant sounding) student violin looks nor sounds anything like my teacher's $10K custom built violin. Bows vary just as widely, I recently played with a $3K bow and just absolutely fell in love. True, most fiddlers own one fiddle, but some own two, in case a string breaks during a performance. Or Sometimes they want to play a different style of composition. My teacher owns two, and about 5 bows.

I can easily imagine that a violinist would want a more monogamous and intimate relationship with their instrument than us "promiscuous" ukulele players! 😄 I currently have 5 concerts and two sopranos though one of those has a concert scale. I confess that I bought 2-3 of them based on looks alone thinking that they looked so cool and I was reasonably sure that they would sound good too. (online buys) Each one is of a different tone wood, one carbon/plastic and one a brass resonator. I think each has it's own voice and a couple of them significantly so. All but one is tuned GCEA and that one is tuned down a half-step which is really nice on songs that are high for my limited vocal range and that particular uke has such a wonderful voice tuned down. I've found that the soprano scale is nice on songs that have 4 finger chords that require a stretch because they are easier to play. Overall I love having a variety of looks and sounds available to pick up and play at any time. I don't have any set schedule but I keep two by my chair in the living room and play those for a couple of weeks or months and then I'll switch them up for two different ones. It's always exciting getting back together with an old friend I haven't played in a while!

Last edited:
I play the newest one and let the old ones collect dust. After a while I dust them off, play them a bit, and go back to the newest one and let the older ones collect dust again.

I used to rotate through all of my 3 ukes pretty evenly, play each uke 2 or 3 days then switch to another. Then a few months ago, I bought a new uke and played that one only until I bought another uke earlier this month. Now I switch off pretty evenly between the new ones and play the old ones very sparsely...maybe two or three songs every third day. I try to play them all. But it's not equally distributed these days.

I have the following 27 ukes:
Tenors- 7 (Koaloha, Pops Customs (2), Kanile'a, Kamaka, Romero, Vintage Martin)
Special Edition tenors- 6 that I rarely play/if ever play (koaloha 6-string, Juke-a-lele, new Martin '68, KoAloha Pineapple Sunday, Koaloha Anniversary))
Concerts - 3 (Koaloha Red label, Pops wow - being built, Ukesa Sceptre) I recently had more but gifted a Pono and sold 2 Koalohas
Soprano- 5 (Pops Wow, Pops Harmony wow, Pops Banger, Vintage Martin, KoAloha Pineapple)
Special Edition sopranos - 3 that I rarely/if ever play (Early Koaloha, Sceptre, Pineapple Sunday)
Ukes I never play - 2 (Islander Super tenor, Kala thinline travel)
1 Outdoor tenor that I leave at my house at the Jersey shore

I basically play very few types of music: Early 20th Century, Hawaiian, Singer/Songwriter/folk, The Great american songbook and anything in the two Daily Ukulele Books.

I have my ukes in cases in a room in the basement. Upstairs, In the living room, is my music stand, chair, lights, and three uke stands. Each week I select a tenor, concert, and soprano and put them in the stands and play only them, choosing what I think is the best scale for each song.

Last edited:
I play five or six different ukuleles almost every day. I play my tenors and concerts and baritones. Most of my sopranos are played much less frequently, but I only have a few of them that I bought because they are beautiful and I adore them.
I switch around from day to day so most of mine get played a few times a week.
I won’t even say how many I have….

Mwahahahah!! You THINK that's true, but we have your number... And it ain't three 🤣
It might be! They’re pretty awesome. And I mentally petted the moon bird and let @SkeeterAB buy it and it didn’t even hurt too much.

I’m not a collector. At some point I tip very hard into “too much clutter”. But ukes are pretty. It’s gonna be a journey.
Currently, I play low G concert the most, but I'm starting to get into baritone. I have a high G soprano, but that only comes out when I want to do strumming practice, and even then the low G concert is usually adequate.
Don’t you have an avalanche of ukes coming in the mail?
You bet it would! My cheap (but pleasant sounding) student violin looks nor sounds anything like my teacher's $10K custom built violin. Bows vary just as widely, I recently played with a $3K bow and just absolutely fell in love.
Bows are a whole different story. And they’re expensive for good ones. And they break as easily as a freaking pencil.
I can easily imagine that a violinist would want a more monogamous and intimate relationship with their instrument than us "promiscuous" ukulele players! 😄
☠️☠️☠️🤣
I play the newest one and let the old ones collect dust. After a while I dust them off, play them a bit, and go back to the newest one and let the older ones collect dust again.
This will not work for me. I hate dusting. Do they sneeze at you when you finally come back to them?
I used to rotate through all of my 3 ukes pretty evenly, play each uke 2 or 3 days then switch to another. Then a few months ago, I bought a new uke and played that one only until I bought another uke earlier this month. Now I switch off pretty evenly between the new ones and play the old ones very sparsely...maybe two or three songs every third day. I try to play them all. But it's not equally distributed these days.
Is there a point where it feels stressful to try to rotate them all, or is it fun to change the one you’re playing?
Special Edition tenors- 6 that I rarely play/if ever play (koaloha 6-string, Juke-a-lele, new Martin '68, KoAloha Pineapple Sunday, Koaloha Anniversary))
Concerts - 3 (Koaloha Red label, Pops wow - being built, Ukesa Sceptre) I recently had more but gifted a Pono and sold 2 Koalohas
Soprano- 5 (Pops Wow, Pops Harmony wow, Pops Banger, Vintage Martin, KoAloha Pineapple)
Special Edition sopranos - 3 that I rarely/if ever play (Early Koaloha, Sceptre, Pineapple Sunday)

I basically play very few types of music: Early 20th Century, Hawaiian, Singer/Songwriter/folk, The Great american songbook and anything in the two Daily Ukulele Books.

I have my ukes in cases in a room in the basement. Upstairs, In the living room, is my music stand, chair, lights, and three uke stands. Each week I select a tenor, concert, and soprano and put them in the stands and play only them, choosing what I think is the best scale for each song.
New goal, teleport to efiscella’s uke dungeon.
I play five or six different ukuleles almost every day. I play my tenors and concerts and baritones. Most of my sopranos are played much less frequently, but I only have a few of them that I bought because they are beautiful and I adore them.
I switch around from day to day so most of mine get played a few times a week.
I won’t even say how many I have….
Confessions not required. But six a day, the mind boggles, lol. I imagine those videos of parents feeding quintuplets…

This has been challenging for me. Too many interests!

I have gone through a buying, selling, and donating phase over the last 9 months or so.

I’m down to my older Kala travel tenor that I got off of goodwill and repaired.

That’s my only Uke. I do have access to my wife’s long neck soprano, which is maybe my favorite Uke that I’ve owned. Probably would not have it around if I hadn’t given it to her!

My tenor is high g, tuned down to e A c# f#

Hers is low g Gcea.

I struggle to focus and follow through on goals.

I’m spending time with my guitar again, and then re entrant ukulele. The low g will fill in when I want to play stuff I already know that needs a low 4th.

Trying to be content, consistent, and stay on course.

Just packed up my little electronic drum set to send to my grandson. He will love it, and one less distraction for me.

Focus… simple….

I can’t make ALL the music! But I want to make more progress with my favorite music.

🙂

ModWitch said:
Don’t you have an avalanche of ukes coming in the mail?
Yeah basically haha. The five string hasn't shipped yet, because Skeeter is pretty sick right now. I told her just to not worry about it until she's well. The tenor @mlolya gave me coming from new york, but it's been a while and it's still in New Jersey. I'm a little worried that it might also get lost in the mail, but it says delivery is on Wednesday. I hope that's actually true, because I'm very excited to try a tenor that is actually high quality(and not plastic). The other two I have received already, and have already posted one NUD. The other one I'll do it tomorrow.

I can’t blame violinist for having just one. They don’t have an awesome forum like this where awesome people encourage each other all the time and share openly to stir and feed each others UAS. 😂😂😂. Plus they don’t have a weekly podcast from TUS to continuously feed more UAS. 😄

Wow Ed, I think your collection of Koaloha and UkeSA might be more than Koaloha themselves! 😂. Impressive.

I can’t blame violinist for having just one. They don’t have an awesome forum like this where awesome people encourage each other all the time and share openly to stir and feed each others UAS. 😂😂😂. Plus they don’t have a weekly podcast from TUS to continuously feed more UAS. 😄
Yeah I was given more ukuleles than I already owned at the time. Very wonderful community.

Focus… simple….

I can’t make ALL the music! But I want to make more progress with my favorite music.
That, in all seriousness, is the danger for me, and the place I want to get to. I create better in minimalism. I learn better with lots of experimenting, so there’s an early stage here where I need to try some things, and I can already feel the value of that under my fingers. But I need to remember that in the end, I will likely be a person with a very small number of ukuleles. I like the idea of giving one to someone nearby, though 😁
I can’t blame violinist for having just one. They don’t have an awesome forum like this where awesome people encourage each other all the time and share openly to stir and feed each others UAS. 😂😂😂.
Oh honey. We so do 🤣. We just enable the collecting of bows and strings and shoulder rests and chin rests and rosins, because most people can’t afford a herd of actual violins.

Herd size - 9. Too many. I’d like to get down to 4-5.

I typically choose what’s nearest or whatever the day’s whims call for. I will frequently grab several and rotate until one "clicks.” I have no idea what makes a ukulele feel perfect at any one point in time. I also don’t know why the same uke will feel meh the next day. Though, honestly, they all do the same thing, so it doesn’t matter which one I grab.

The ones I play least are my 12-fret sopranos (because more frets is more better-er). I also rarely play my Koalana, because the neck is too wide for me to play comfortably.

Top Bottom