Do you ever feel guilty?

Joyful Uke

Reaction score
Well, guilty might not be the best word Self-indulgent is probably the better word. And conflicted.

I have a super high end ukulele heading my way soon. I've been drooling over these for a long time and all the stars lined up to make it doable. I'm super excited about it - but also feel kind of odd about it.

It''s not my style. I don't like bling. But it's got bling and I really love it. I don't "deserve" such a high end instrument. (Who does?) I shop at Target, my car is 15 years old, don't have a smart phone, and so on - I'm not a high end person. But I totally fell in love with this ukulele. The sound - oh, my - the sound.

I've determined from my ukulele experiences that a 35 mm nut width is what I need. This has a different nut width, though not by much. But the luthier kindly and patiently explained why this should work for me anyway, and would be preferable to him making one for me with a 35 mm nut width. (String spacing would be altered, and the strings would be too close to the edge, making it too easy for them to slip off.) With the neck profile, it should be good. So I decided to take a chance on it.

I was literally about to head out the door to mail a check to the luthier when he contacted me to say that the one that he was close to finishing had a terrible mishap. He sent me a couple photos of the cracked top, and I could feel his distress. Ouch. So, after a little more discussion with the luthier, I bought one from TUS.

I'm feeling like this is so self-indulgent that I hesitated to post anything about it. But the luthier, Bruce Petros, seems like such a great guy that I wanted to have that on record here on UU.

And while most everyone here loves purchasing from TUS, I had a bad experience a few years ago that made me vow to never buy a ukulele from them again. (That ukulele never ended up in my possession. I have bought strings from them since, though.) I won't share the bad experience. Things happen sometimes. But, so far, the purchasing experience has been good now, and I anticipate that it will work out this time, so I also want to encourage anyone who had a less than satisfactory experience with them to give them another chance. When there are good things to say, I want to say them, even if it's in the midst of a super self-indulgent experience.

So, no doubt, someone must be wondering what my super self-indulgent purchase is. This one:

YOLO. And I wanted to go on record to say what a good experience I had in my communications with Bruce, and to encourage anyone who had any misgivings about TUS to set them aside.

Hopefully the stars will stay lined up to make this all work out well.

Congratulations! No need to feel guilty! Some people spend their extra money on lavish vacations, luxury watches, sports cars, etc. and then some of us splurge on something unique for ourselves. If it brings you joy (haha pun intended), then I wouldnt think twice about it. I know it’s hard and a lot of money and seems self-indulgent but no one else knows the right answer for you. Enjoy the ride!

The wonderful thing about instruments is they last a lifetime, several lifetimes if cared for.

So no need to feel guilty, yes it's a lot of money but it sounds like you are frugal and sensible in all other areas of your life. As said before many people spend that much money on a one week vacation and then it's over and done.

You will enjoy that instrument every time you pick it up and play it, over and over for years and years. Congratulations it is absolutely gorgeous

Well, guilty might not be the best word Self-indulgent is probably the better word. And conflicted.

I have a super high end ukulele heading my way soon. I've been drooling over these for a long time and all the stars lined up to make it doable. I'm super excited about it - but also feel kind of odd about it.

It''s not my style. I don't like bling. But it's got bling and I really love it. I don't "deserve" such a high end instrument. (Who does?) I shop at Target, my car is 15 years old, don't have a smart phone, and so on - I'm not a high end person. But I totally fell in love with this ukulele. The sound - oh, my - the sound.

I've determined from my ukulele experiences that a 35 mm nut width is what I need. This has a different nut width, though not by much. But the luthier kindly and patiently explained why this should work for me anyway, and would be preferable to him making one for me with a 35 mm nut width. (String spacing would be altered, and the strings would be too close to the edge, making it too easy for them to slip off.) With the neck profile, it should be good. So I decided to take a chance on it.

I was literally about to head out the door to mail a check to the luthier when he contacted me to say that the one that he was close to finishing had a terrible mishap. He sent me a couple photos of the cracked top, and I could feel his distress. Ouch. So, after a little more discussion with the luthier, I bought one from TUS.

I'm feeling like this is so self-indulgent that I hesitated to post anything about it. But the luthier, Bruce Petros, seems like such a great guy that I wanted to have that on record here on UU.

And while most everyone here loves purchasing from TUS, I had a bad experience a few years ago that made me vow to never buy a ukulele from them again. (That ukulele never ended up in my possession. I have bought strings from them since, though.) I won't share the bad experience. Things happen sometimes. But, so far, the purchasing experience has been good now, and I anticipate that it will work out this time, so I also want to encourage anyone who had a less than satisfactory experience with them to give them another chance. When there are good things to say, I want to say them, even if it's in the midst of a super self-indulgent experience.

So, no doubt, someone must be wondering what my super self-indulgent purchase is. This one:

YOLO. And I wanted to go on record to say what a good experience I had in my communications with Bruce, and to encourage anyone who had any misgivings about TUS to set them aside.

That is a beautiful ukulele. Yes, it has additional decorative elements. But they are gorgeous and tastefully done. If you find something that is your passion and spend more on that passion than you ordinarily would in other aspects of your life, I don’t think that it is overindulgent. If you can afford it, it is your passion, and it brings you joy to play it, then it is not really self-indulgent. It is just following your heart.

As an aside, even some of Bruce Petros’ strap buttons are like mini works of art. I have been thinking of buying one just to admire it. Not sure what uke it would go on.

Last edited:
You're a fortunate guy! Beautiful instrument! May it bring you many years of enjoyment!! :love:(y)(y)(y)

I wouldn't feel guilty.
Hi end instruments can also be (in some instances) better sounding.
I can't wait to hear your review after it breaks in a bit.

Perhaps because you are (dare I say) frugal you're able to go for the dream ukulele. I would suggest let go of the guilt. We're allowed to enjoy life and take pleasure. And gain enjoyment from a favorite hobby or passion that is not harmful to self or others.

Enjoy your new wonder uke.

Don’t worry. Be happy.

(From someone sinning above his station uke-wise.)

I've definitely felt guilt, conflicted and self-indulgent over some of my purchases though my bar is quite a bit lower than yours. My most expensive uke is one I won and currently retails at $700+. The most expensive uke I've ever purchased was in the $500+ range. I felt the same way that you do, that I'm not worthy/deserving of such an instrument and that my playing skill certainly doesn't warrant such a nice instrument though they are sure nice to play. I've also felt guilt at owning as many ukes as I do. When I try to get around to playing them all and spend a lot of time with one of my cheaper ukes then I feel guilty for not playing the expensive ones more. I also share your thoughts about TUS after a bad experience but I won't ever buy from them again. To their credit, they were willing to make my situation right but I was so disgusted over a careless mistake that should never have happened in the first place that I returned the uke involved and closed that door. It's like you say though, YOLO. If you can afford it and it's not coming at the expense of your life necessities then play and enjoy! I have little doubt TUS will do right by you. It's a beautiful uke and I doubt that anyone you encounter will ever have seen anything like it.

Over time I've found it easier to enjoy my ukes without feelings of guilt but I'm not sure if those feelings will go away totally. I blame it on my nature. I tend to be frugal and generally tend to avoid excess. (He says as he looks over at his 1000+ CDs. 😄) This discussion is putting me in the pathway of temptation. There's a uke that's been continuously popping up and falling off of my radar for years. So far I've denied myself but it's only $200-ish. For that amount I should just scratch that itch and be done with it. There have been many ukes that have tempted me and then totally fell off my radar but this one has staying power and keeps popping up.

Last edited:

I struggle with this too and I have quite a few nicer ukes. My spouse thinks it’s interesting for me, as well, because usually I’m not a spender but I always buy from either Hawaii Luthers or Hawaiian family businesses… a place I spent my childhood, while my father was stationed there. I feel connected to the culture and community in this way, even from Brooklyn. It’s also art - they are magnificent - and these companies do great things for the keiki. I’ve also learned from the UU community to use some instruments and share them… my family, kids in the local community here my instructor helps me gift to as well.

I'm not a bling person either, except in wood grain, then I'm kinda Liberace level bling. That is so sophisticated and elegant, I would be delighted to own such a beautiful example of craftsmanship. I hope that this ukulele and you become firm partners, and enjoy making beautiful music together. And if it doesn't work out, that's ok too because that is an investment instrument if I ever saw or heard one, but you will have a chance to enjoy a magnificent ukulele. Wow. I look forward to the NUD.

I’ve felt guilty for almost every uke I’ve bought, even though I know intellectually that the guilt is irrational. It has 2 causes, I think:

(1) I grew up in a working-class family and money was always tight. Most of us played instruments, but they were usually either dirt cheap or free. (2) My husband never buys anything for himself. He’s not stingy with me, but he’s extremely frugal with himself.

However, I’m gonna remind myself of THIS every once in a while …
Some people spend their extra money on lavish vacations, luxury watches, sports cars, etc.
And this …
As said before many people spend that much money on a one week vacation and then it's over and done
There are people out there who spend five figures just to go to the Olympics (you’d have to pay me to go to the Olympics).

Nah, you're good.

People waste that much money all the time, and you definitely aren't wasting it. They get the apartment that's $200 more per month even though they don't need the extra space, which is $2400 the first year and $10K four years later (or sooner depending on the landlord). Or they get a new car instead of a used one, and you know you lose thousands every time you drive off the lot with a new car. Or they let their mid century glassware collecting hobby get out of contro—NO, THAT ONE IS FINE, NEVER MIND.

Also keep in mind, if you're as old as I am, the cost of everything has doubled since we graduated from high school. So this is really a $3500 ukulele. Seems pretty reasonable.

I'd never feel guilty about owning a fine instrument, unless I didn't play it, or like some collectors of fine violins do, loan it to a virtuoso player for performances.
They need to be played, someone has to do it.
They don't belong in closets or glass cases.
Play the heck out of it.
Congratulations!

Petros masterpieces have always taken my breath away. I bought a strap button. 😊

ENJOY your new baby and just know that you deserve it!

I know the feeling. I've/we've lived a very conservative life, but as a result now that we're retired, we are sitting pretty well. I have indulged in quite a few very nice instruments, and feel weird and guilty about each of them. But my husband is my biggest fan and he supports and encourages me 100%. He did it again today, as a matter of fact. I have a new one coming too.

You have a gorgeous instrument there, and to quote my husband "enjoy it, you deserve it"! :)

Top Bottom