Do you ever feel guilty?

Thanks for helping me feel less guilty. :)

Yes, it absolutely will be played and not stored away or used to hit anyone. :ROFLMAO: I wouldn't want to harm a ukulele!

Now it just needs to arrive safely and I'm ready to enjoy it fully.

I don't think there's such a thing as being "deserving" of an instrument. If you can afford it and you like it, then get it. I bought a $1300 Koaloha one month into learning how to play. Was my skill level that of someone who could take full advantage of such a nice uke? Absolutely not, but it certainly didn't stop me from enjoying the heck out of a beautiful instrument that was miles easier to play and nicer-sounding than the $100 Kala I started with.

Two years later is my skill level that of someone who can take full advantage of such a nice uke? Absolutely not but I still enjoy the crap out of playing it! :ROFLMAO: 😂

Also, just to be clear, I believe that tourists buying expensive instruments and keeping our favorite shops/luthiers in business is also a perfectly fine thing, even if the instruments never leave the wall. Does Marlene from Des Moines deserve that Kamaka hanging in her office? Yes. She went to dental school, and has been pulling teeth for 25 years and she earned that vacation with Terry and that instrument reminds her of the great time they had on their one trip to Hawaii.

If you are frugal by choice, then I guess this is the end result. You saved all that money elsewhere and thus were able to afford such a nice instrument! Enjoy!

Wow! What a beautiful instrument!

I am blessed to see it, and glad that you can enjoy it!

😀

Well, guilty might not be the best word Self-indulgent is probably the better word. And conflicted.
I've definitely had those feelings... and I've done it over and over and each time is a bit of an internal struggle. But, as it's been said, i love each one and I play the heck out of em. Smiles each time I bring em out of the case and they put my spirit at ease as the sounds eminate and I feel the vibrations in my hands and torso. Just typing this makes me smile!

I also feel bad for the trees!! I own a couple that have Brazilian Rosewood and have had the feeling that supporting that aspect of the industry might be frowned upon by Mother Nature, knowing that the trees have been endangered.

That all said, you've got a beauty coming your way way! I've still yet to own a redwood uke and have definitely eyed and been tempted by many from Petros. Hearing em played by Kalei and Corey doesn't make it easy to fight off the UAS!!

Can't wait til it's in your hands, bringing smiles and easing your spirit!!!

Whether or not you feel guilty really only depends on whether the money was supposed to be used for something else. Like, if you have kids, and you can’t afford to buy them food or clothes, then it’s right to feel guilty about spending $7800 on a ukulele. In that scenario, it would probably be wrong NOT to feel guilty.

But if the $7800 was just going to sit there in your bank account indefinitely doing nothing, then I would think there’s nothing to feel guilty about.

If youre guilty of spending $7800 on a ukulele when the $7800 was supposed to be used on something else, like feeding your children or paying for your spouse’s medicine or something, then definitely, yeah, feel guilty. Otherwise, it does not seem as though a wrong has been committed.

Enjoy the new uke!

I need a new refrigerator. The main reason I don't want one above my skill level because it seems the fancy ones break down more often.
Is there a skill level for refrigerators? It’s true that the more bells and whistles, the more they break down. I still yearn for that old Whirlpool of long ago. Same for the old Whirlpool washing machine of the 1990s. Lost forever. 😢

Edit: Sorry. The pre-dinner wine was unusually effective this evening.

Wow! That’s a stunning Uke! Good for you, we only live once that we know off surely.. and if we return we really don’t remember our past lives 99% of the time! I say celebrate and take care of that beauty I’m sure you’ll enjoy it! ❤️

The money was spare cash put aside for a rainy day. And we've had a lot of rain lately. :LOL:

So no necessities will be left hanging. So that's not the reason for my "guilt", if that's the correct word. (My dogs, however, think that there must be some super expensive treat that they must have That would sure be a LOT of treats.)

The shipping label has been created, so hopefully it will soon be in hand and well worth my rainy day fund.

Thanks to you all for being supportive of this self-indulgence.

The money was spare cash put aside for a rainy day. And we've had a lot of rain lately. :LOL:

So no necessities will be left hanging. So that's not the reason for my "guilt", if that's the correct word. (My dogs, however, think that there must be some super expensive treat that they must have That would sure be a LOT of treats.)

The shipping label has been created, so hopefully it will soon be in hand and well worth my rainy day fund.

Thanks to you all for being supportive of this self-indulgence.
When the self-indulgence involves purchasing a musical instrument, you are acquiring a highly effective, and immensely satisfying, way of surviving in today’s world. Congratulations on your self-care impulse!

I have ukulele guilt but it doesn't stem from the financial side. My latest ukulele will exceed the blue book value of my car, so I have committed acts that should be shameful but my guilt comes from not playing a uke regularly. I have a Kamaka and it is my re-entrant uke. However I really dislike re-entrant, so I don't play it too much. But I force myself to play it periodically because it seems obscene to me to have a $2000 ukulele that I don't play. I play it out of guilt...or is it shame? I cannot remember which is which. I think one is external and one is internal but now I forget.

I have ukulele guilt but it doesn't stem from the financial side. My latest ukulele will exceed the blue book value of my car, so I have committed acts that should be shameful but my guilt comes from not playing a uke regularly. I have a Kamaka and it is my re-entrant uke. However I really dislike re-entrant, so I don't play it too much. But I force myself to play it periodically because it seems obscene to me to have a $2000 ukulele that I don't play. I play it out of guilt...or is it shame? I cannot remember which is which. I think one is external and one is internal but now I forget.
So out of curiosity.. which is your favorite Uke in your possession? Kamaka’s are awesome so you much have some crazy custom as your favorite..

My favorite is my Rob Collins custom tenor.

View attachment 173869

As you can see it is beautiful but it also has a cutaway, no fret markers, and tuners behind the headstock...the kamaka hasn't any of these qualities
Wow that is one sexy instrument! 😍 mind sharing more details? Type of wood? Low G?

Wow that is one sexy instrument! 😍 mind sharing more details? Type of wood? Low G?
I'm OG so, or course, it is low G. It is made of plane wood harvested from trees chopped down in a London park. The fretboard is English walnut. The nut and bridge are laburnum. There is also some cherry wood in the rosette and trim. You may have noticed a theme. All the woods are british. Often people obsess about getting a uke from the islands. They of course are meaning the Sandwich Islands. Instead of the islands of sandwiches I opted for the islands of roast beef and Yorkshire pudding.

I think I recently saw photos for another London plane tenor go by on Rob’s Facebook. Maybe a lefty?

Editing to add, yup, already for sale!

I'm going to sound like Debbie Downer, but let me preface this by saying that I believe people should spend their money on whatever they wish. It's not for me to judge anyone else or dictate what they do.

That said, I've come to a point in my life where I personally do feel rather guilty about buying unnecessary things (things I would deem unnecessary for me) when I know there are people within five miles of me who don't know where their kids' next meal is coming from.

Especially after I lost everything in a flood I just became less interested in and enamored with "stuff." I became somewhat of a minimalist. Easy to do when you see up close how transient and easily vanished our possessions really are.

Top Bottom