Does my bridge need to be reglued?

ukeclass

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Here is the bridge on my HB-2D. Notice the lighter color around the base of the bridge. It does not lift up, but is the discoloration crystallizing of the old glue, meaning it needs to be redone?

Attachments

• IMG_2428.jpeg
    IMG_2428.jpeg
    145.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2427.jpeg
    IMG_2427.jpeg
    151.9 KB · Views: 50
If it does not lift up and there are no gaps around the corners/edges where the glue has broken off, then I would keep an eye on it, but I don't think it has to be repaired immediately.

It was likely reglued previously. The light wood showing on the edges could be the result of scraping the old glue off before regluing.

I don't think it's glue, but rather the finish of the top...

There shouldn't be glue exposed outside the bridge. And from what I can tell (better pictures next time ;)) it's not going anywhere.

Since the top expands and retracts differently than the bridge (dimensional ratios of thickness vs surface, grain direction et al.) means that there is stress on the finish around the bridge on every cycle: the bridge that is glued on, keeps that part of the soundboard from following the rest of it - your soundboard is "laminated" there with the crossgrain bridge. The finish has to follow one or the other, which causes these markings, that look a bit glassy.
That same cycle of expansion and retraction has also caused that nice checking you have on the rest of the top.

IMO nothing to worry about. Just keep an eye on it if the finish should really crack and open up or start to shard. In that case you could seal it up again with some shellac or seep in some CA-glue. You should check if the finish is a nitro or a poly, or what have you. Since the checking, I would guess more likely on nitro. Poly doesn't check, but it can get the same marks around the bridge.

If in doubt about my exposé: drop it (gently! figurative speach 😎) at a luthier. And then please give feedback on that, always willing to learn 😌...

Last tip: please do me a favor, and keep it out of the sun like that in the pictures, and do not keep it in your car like that, OK? Case, humidifier, you know the drill right 🤨?

Right?! 😁

It was likely reglued previously. The light wood showing on the edges could be the result of scraping the old glue off before regluing.
It doesn't look like bare wood to me, but the pictures could be taken more up close.

Adding to my previous post: if it is bare wood (and not the clear having a crack) try to slip a piece of paper under it.
  • If that doesn't work: you're all good.
  • If that does work however: come back. With better pictures 😁.

I really can't tell from that picture to be honest.
Sure that's wood?

Damn, I need glasses?!

Really...

Top Bottom