Does the Key of D “suit” my high-G soprano uke or is it just my imagination?

Oldscruggsfan

Reaction score
For a far longer span than I prefer to admit, aided by patient input and guidance from a very kind and talented UUF member, I’ve worked on a finger style version of Its Only A Paper Moon, first in the Key of F, then briefly in E and finally in G.

Per my aforementioned UUF mentor, I settled back to F and this is the most recent version.
View attachment IOAPM standard C6 tuning.m4a
Meanwhile, I’ve learned and practiced several other tunes for SOTU entries, one of which was made famous by country & bluegrass star Kathy Mattea, “18 Wheels and A Dozen Roses”. I learned it in the key of D because it seemed to ALMOST fit my extremely limited vocal range. (Almost)

Below is 18WADR, recorded with intentional pauses within the verse and between verse and chorus to enable future collaboration.

Does the Key of D “suit” my little reentrant uke, is there really no difference, or does the audible difference reflect that I simply need to rework my arrangement of IOAPM to include a greater number of notes played on the C string?
View attachment Eighteen Wheels for Chris667.m4a

Last edited:
I'm about as far from an expert as you can get, but I have two thoughts. One: Your playing is a lot smoother in the second song, seems to have a little bit of "swing" to it, good stuff. And two: I do like the sound of the Key of D better, seems to be more resonant.

Maybe a third thought... you might be slightly out of tune somewhere. :) I'm not good enough to identify which string, but something seems a little off. If it's not out of tune, then maybe you're over-fretting and bending some notes out of tune? Or, I could be completely off-base. (See: not an expert)

But, still... great progress!

I'm about as far from an expert as you can get, but I have two thoughts. One: Your playing is a lot smoother in the second song, seems to have a little bit of "swing" to it, good stuff. And two: I do like the sound of the Key of D better, seems to be more resonant.

Maybe a third thought... you might be slightly out of tune somewhere. :) I'm not good enough to identify which string, but something seems a little off. If it's not out of tune, then maybe you're over-fretting and bending some notes out of tune? Or, I could be completely off-base. (See: not an expert)

But, still... great progress!
Thanks for listening & responding! There is definitely some sort of unintended dissonance in IOAPM, likely the A string. My next step (other than tuning) is to try it in D, in the hope of gaining similar resonance.

I originally included some swing / melody roll but went back to the basic notes to nail down the 114bpm Ella Fitzgerald tempo.

I'm going out on a twig:

Perhaps some chords are generally easier to form in some keys. The harder ones may require more force (pressing too hard), or weird angles that take more effort and cause sideways "bending" of strings as LorenFL noted.

In my case, I sing better in A vs G as I rarely can sing that low G with confidence. In group strums, I have to deal with whatever key the leader chooses. Most are in C, D, or G with a few in F. On rare occasions, A.

Last edited:
Top Bottom