Donner Rainbow Series Soprano Kit - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
I somewhat disagree that this ukulele may be okay "for the price". A new player buying this for their first ukulele may never progress beyond "Oh well, I tried it and am glad I only spent this much". High action is a good reason they might quit. Now it does not sound awful (and with awful strings and little sustain) is not any justification for a musical instrument purchase. In a case such as this, the failure rate of continuing as a hobby must be significantly higher. And if they continue, they will pretty quickly want a better playing and sounding uke, so this will be money down the drain.

When more dollars spent translate into better playing and better sounding (and the increased costs are not enormous), then that should be the recommendation. There should be minimum standards to recommend on a first ukulele.

I somewhat disagree that this ukulele may be okay "for the price". A new player buying this for their first ukulele may never progress beyond "Oh well, I tried it and am glad I only spent this much". High action is a good reason they might quit. Now it does not sound awful (and with awful strings and little sustain) is not any justification for a musical instrument purchase. In a case such as this, the failure rate of continuing as a hobby must be significantly higher. And if they continue, they will pretty quickly want a better playing and sounding uke, so this will be money down the drain.

When more dollars spent translate into better playing and better sounding (and the increased costs are not enormous), then that should be the recommendation. There should be minimum standards to recommend on a first ukulele.
I kind of agree. I think that cheap ukes like this that need work/tweaking are not what a beginner needs, and will result in them quitting the uke, as they don't know what they can do or how to make it better. Or even that ukes can and should be better.

Isn't that what the review says? - it needs work. Most in this category are far worse, but this comes close to being acceptable, yet not so much as some others?

As for increased costs - there are some people in the UK with so little money they can't afford food...

Isn't that what the review says? - it needs work. Most in this category are far worse, but this comes close to being acceptable, yet not so much as some others?

As for increased costs - there are some people in the UK with so little money they can't afford food...
Baz runs the gambit of Ukes for reviews - from the econo lines to the big dollar. All the reviews are informative and useful. You can glean something even if it's a uke not for you and it may help others decide if considering a particular model. I enjoy all the reviews for what they are - reviews. Baz points out the good and also the areas of a uke that are less than optimal or could use attention or could have been better.

Some of those cheap ukes get people in the door playing. Would it be nice if they had better - sure. But some times funds or just doing the journey the long way is ok. If they stick with it and with a little initiative people can take a cheap uke and attempt to make it a better instrument if they stay in for the long haul. That cheap uke can come in handy later when trying to adjust your first set up, string changes, etc. It also becomes a candidate to pass on later to give another newbie an improved cheap uke that might be more up to better playing standard.

Baz runs the gambit of Ukes for reviews - from the econo lines to the big dollar. All the reviews are informative and useful. You can glean something even if it's a uke not for you and it may help others decide if considering a particular model. I enjoy all the reviews for what they are - reviews. Baz points out the good and also the areas of a uke that are less than optimal or could use attention or could have been better.

Some of those cheap ukes get people in the door playing. Would it be nice if they had better - sure. But some times funds or just doing the journey the long way is ok. If they stick with it and with a little initiative people can take a cheap uke and attempt to make it a better instrument if they stay in for the long haul. That cheap uke can come in handy later when trying to adjust your first set up, string changes, etc. It also becomes a candidate to pass on later to give another newbie an improved cheap uke that might be more up to better playing standard.
And it is all relative of course (as the OP and the review says!). Is this as good as a £100 ukulele? No - it's easily beaten. Is this as good as other £30 ukuleles? I think it's beaten there too - however - only be a small number.

I try to review this sort of uke regularly - the misses far outnumber the hits. This one is nearer the hits than the misses.

All points valid. Baz does qualify his reviews as always. I tuned in just to see how bad the instrument would be. From a beginner standpoint, not the ukulele you want to start with for sure if longevity and progress in playing is the goal.

So, two thing occurred to me………a home tweaker with some knowledge might make this passable instrument for a new player…trouble is most people can do that. But, maybe they have a friend who could help out!

Second thought……….Baz, it would be cool to do a follow up to this video ….after you Or someone else gets out the files, tweak the nut. Put on some real Aquila or whatever strings make it sound good……stretch them out so it plays in tune and see how it sounds.…….just to show what it could be.

I know it would take time and you state you don’t normally change strings when doing a review , let alone tweak the faults, but it would make an interesting video to watch.

As always, thanks for the review……you show us lots of interesting models that most of us would never be able to see, hear or play!

All points valid. Baz does qualify his reviews as always. I tuned in just to see how bad the instrument would be. From a beginner standpoint, not the ukulele you want to start with for sure if longevity and progress in playing is the goal.

So, two thing occurred to me………a home tweaker with some knowledge might make this passable instrument for a new player…trouble is most people can do that. But, maybe they have a friend who could help out!

Second thought……….Baz, it would be cool to do a follow up to this video ….after you Or someone else gets out the files, tweak the nut. Put on some real Aquila or whatever strings make it sound good……stretch them out so it plays in tune and see how it sounds.…….just to show what it could be.

I know it would take time and you state you don’t normally change strings when doing a review , let alone tweak the faults, but it would make an interesting video to watch.

As always, thanks for the review……you show us lots of interesting models that most of us would never be able to see, hear or play!
I've been asked by a couple of people to do that. Would be interesting - but... I'm falling well behind with the reviews as it is (and the day job!)

I've been asked by a couple of people to do that. Would be interesting - but... I'm falling well behind with the reviews as it is (and the day job!)
Looking forward to the next review - whatever is. Good, Bad, and/or the Ugly. ( Clint Eastwood western movie analogy )

Top Bottom