Drill hole for strap button?

You will probably want a small-ish strap button, if you buy guitar buttons.

Sometimes referred to as a "Gibson style" button.

You can buy Gibson brand buttons. Notice that in such a set, one of the provided screws will be huge, because som Gibson guitars are made with a huge hole in the bottom bout from the manufacturing process. You will want to get a smaller screw.

Gotoh also makes some.
Gotohs size guide, that will be somewhere in the model name:
1: Small Gibson style
2: Bigger average guitar size button
3: Huge, probably for a bass guitar

Last edited:
I learned a trick from Rich Davis. Use a push pin instead of a drill. It's way easier and more precise to get the hole exactly where you want it and keep the diameter small enough that it will snug up nicely.

I learned a trick from Rich Davis. Use a push pin instead of a drill. It's way easier and more precise to get the hole exactly where you want it and keep the diameter small enough that it will snug up nicely.
A good way to start/mark the pilot hole, no doubt. But if the screw is a lot bigger that the pin, seems there might be a risk of cracking the wood.

A good way to start/mark the pilot hole, no doubt. But if the screw is a lot bigger that the pin, seems there might be a risk of cracking the wood.
After I tried this once, I do it with the push pins exclusively now. I've done a few this way. A firm wiggle after the depth is reached probably helped. No cracks so far. Oddly, the average screws for strap buttons are about the perfect size for the resulting push pin hole. I'm one of those people who think strap buttons should be mandatory on all ukes as standard, not options. Strap buttons and side fret markers are the first two things I look for when considering a uke purchase these days. So, it's been a while since I installed one.

That is also what I read last time Installed a strap button.
To have some safety against splitting the wood, it should be best to drill a 3 mm hole.
Well, I dont remember the Imperial measures.
It converted to 2.8 to 3.2 mm when I translated it. So I went with the 3 mm metric drill.

Some have said that the floor side of the heel is the best place to put the strap button, or I should say the second strap button, but a reviewer had said it was a bad place because it interferes when your hand goes up the neck and it’s annoying. Thoughts?
I am a big believer in the floor side of the heel. That's because the opposite side of the heel isn't secure. The strap can just slip off whereas with the floor side of the heel, the strap wraps around the heel and the tension of the strap on the button keeps it secure.

As for it being a hindrance...I suppose it depends on your uke. I play all 19 of my frets and the strap isn't an issue but I have cutaways. I do have one traditional uke, my kamaka, and its upper bout gets in the way of playing the highest frets. Maybe the position of the strap contributes to that problem but its impact pales in comparison with that of the bout.

I had a strange burst of energy and installed a bunch of strap buttons when I was in the middle of being sick with pneumonia and did not realize it. Most were ok, but a few I look at now and think, “Well I guess that uke is now a keeper.” Perhaps the low oxygen levels in my blood and brain were not great for the measuring and decision making process for installing those. Also, probably should not have been using power tools in that state😆

I do find them annoying. If it has a neck button, this is the first thing I do upon receiving a uke. It is a trade-off of how you prefer your strap to position the instrument. Neck to bout, or heel to bout.

In many cases when you are buying, it's like Neil Diamond sang, "you simply got no choice."
Several of mine are now like this.

Attachments

• Remove Neck Button.JPG
    Remove Neck Button.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I do find them annoying. If it has a neck button, this is the first thing I do upon receiving a uke. It is a trade-off of how you prefer your strap to position the instrument. Neck to bout, or heel to bout.

In many cases when you are buying, it's like Neil Diamond sang, "you simply got no choice."
Several of mine are now like this.

Right now I only have the one strap button it came with on the lower bout and I’m just trying to find the best position to complement it, so that I can use a strap without having the dreaded string above the nut. I even tried the little leather strap holder instead of the string and both of them annoy me to no end!
I have enough to be concerned with singing and playing the instrument and don’t want to have to be concerned with holding the uke without a strap and having it crash to the ground! I sure wouldn’t go without a strap on my guitars. Yeah, I know they’re a lot heavier though. Lol.
Clumsiness is unfortunately a way of life for me. :giggle:

Right now I only have the one strap button it came with on the lower bout and I’m just trying to find the best position to complement it, so that I can use a strap without having the dreaded string above the nut. I even tried the little leather strap holder instead of the string and both of them annoy me to no end!
I have enough to be concerned with singing and playing the instrument and don’t want to have to be concerned with holding the uke without a strap and having it crash to the ground! I sure wouldn’t go without a strap on my guitars. Yeah, I know they’re a lot heavier though. Lol.
Clumsiness is unfortunately a way of life for me. :giggle:
That’s why I strap at the heel. I haaated any variation of the headstock strap, but going strapless is not an option (in ukulele or life 🤣)

Plus one here. Dropped my Jasmine S35 guitar in my garage yesterday and busted the bottom out of it. It's a cheap guitar. But, it played nice and sounded pretty good with decent strings on it. I'll harvest some parts from it I guess.
Oh cheap or not, that hurts. Jasmines are perfectly respectable guitars! ☹️

I try to make it a point to check my strap buttons every time I pick up my guitars because I know my luck. I have a fair number of guitars and they’re like my kids to me. Lol. If I crushed any of my instruments, I would be miserable! 😖

Right now I only have the one strap button it came with on the lower bout and I’m just trying to find the best position to complement it...
Like others above, I prefer the button to be placed on the floor side of the heel if I'm not tying to the headstock. It helps prevent the uke from rotating downward and doesn't get in my way (although I don't mind tied at the headstock, so take with a grain of salt).

Top Bottom