Emergency Lighting

Timbuck

Reaction score
Just to give myself a rest from woodwork I have been restoring these two beauties to get them up and running again ..What with the energy crisis and all the problems going on in the world , who knows but they could come in handy one day.
44C2FC55-1FC8-4398-AF31-0904474463AA by Ken Timms,

They look good - well done - and yes you never know when the mains electricity might go down. Due to a freak event in the recent stormy weather my electic power ‘went down’ for the best part of two days: the house got cold and eating by candlelight no longer has the appeal that it once did.

Very illuminating! I have a Tilley lantern, just like those, out in the shed. I used to race motorcycles, back in the 1960's, and the place where I prepared my bike had no power supply. I've spent many a happy evening tinkering with oily components to the soothing hiss of a paraffin lamp.

Well done, Ken - nice work!

And, if you have a handy Geiger Counter, you can test it using the mantles! That's what we used to do in the HazMat Response Team. Minimally radioactive, not going to do anything to you unless you choose to eat it.

And, if you have a handy Geiger Counter, you can test it using the mantles! That's what we used to do in the HazMat Response Team. Minimally radioactive, not going to do anything to you unless you choose to eat it.
The new type mantles are not radioactive these days...But i'm told they are not quite as bright.

Nice job you did there Ken. I have a couple of emergency lanterns for when we lose power also. Heaven sent when needed. You sparked my interest, I'll start searching the flea markets for some lanterns.

From the National Library of medicine
Abstract
Gas lantern mantles containing radioactive thorium have been used for more than 100 years. Although thorium was once believed to be indispensable for giving a bright light, non-radioactive mantles are now available. From the radioactivities of the daughter nuclides, we estimated the levels of radioactivity of 232Th and 228Th in 11 mantles. The mantles contained various levels of radioactivity from background levels to 1410 +/- 140 Bq. Our finding that radioactive and non-radioactive mantles are equally bright suggests that there is no advantage in using radioactive mantles. A remaining problem is that gas lantern mantles are sold without any information about radioactivity.

As far as radioactivity goes, I wasn't losing any sleep over it. My intake of Glenlivet 12 Year is probably doing me more harm. ;)

Nice job you did there Ken. I have a couple of emergency lanterns for when we lose power also. Heaven sent when needed. You sparked my interest, I'll start searching the flea markets for some lanterns.

From the National Library of medicine
Abstract
Gas lantern mantles containing radioactive thorium have been used for more than 100 years. Although thorium was once believed to be indispensable for giving a bright light, non-radioactive mantles are now available. From the radioactivities of the daughter nuclides, we estimated the levels of radioactivity of 232Th and 228Th in 11 mantles. The mantles contained various levels of radioactivity from background levels to 1410 +/- 140 Bq. Our finding that radioactive and non-radioactive mantles are equally bright suggests that there is no advantage in using radioactive mantles. A remaining problem is that gas lantern mantles are sold without any information about radioactivity.

As far as radioactivity goes, I wasn't losing any sleep over it. My intake of Glenlivet 12 Year is probably doing me more harm. ;)
That will absolutely do you harm! You should be drinking Auchentoshenn instead!

-Kurt​

(Disclaimer: I generally cannot drink Scotch Whiskey - it does not stay down, although I love the aroma. I've happened upon a couple that do not immediately erupt, and I've discovered that the two I can drink are triple distilled, while most Scotch is double distilled. Interestingly enough, all Irish Whisky is at least triple distilled, and I've never had a problem drinking that! Bushmill's 1608 being my favorite... As soon as I have a clear liver fiber scan, I will open one of th ebottles I've been hoarding since 1995...)

Top Bottom