Endpin Jack preamp?

michaelc1945

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with this type of preamp? The install seems fairly easy and I think having been a toolmaker for thirty years I able to do it myself. I am thinking of purchasing a six string tenor and one without the factory install is less expensive. I have to watch with the surprise purchases that unexpectedly appear at our front door.

I think you are speaking about an active pickup. One that is powered by a battery or capacitor. Often a 9 volt or 2032 wafer battery. Or a rechargeable capacitor. These act as a preamp by sending a powered signal to your amplifier or PA.

A passive pickup does not produce a powered signal. You use an external DA box or Preamp to boost the signal, or use the built-in preamp on your amplifier.

There are pros and cons for each type of pickup. Check out the TUS (theukulelesite.com) website about the pickups they carry and install. Gotaukulele.com also has a good summary about pickups.

I think you are speaking about an active pickup. One that is powered by a battery or capacitor. Often a 9 volt or 2032 wafer battery. Or a rechargeable capacitor. These act as a preamp by sending a powered signal to your amplifier or PA.

A passive pickup does not produce a powered signal. You use an external DA box or Preamp to boost the signal, or use the built-in preamp on your amplifier.

There are pros and cons for each type of pickup. Check out the TUS (theukulelesite.com) website about the pickups they carry and install. Gotaukulele.com also has a good summary about pickups.
It is an active pickup, uses a 9 volt battery. I already have a tenor with an active pickup and am acoustic amp I use with it. I am thinking of purchasing a 6 string or maybe an 8 string and I am thinking of installing the pickup myself. This endpin jack pickup only requires minimal work on the uke's body and I was curious as to how good they are at sound reproduction. It has an under bridge pizeo pickup.

One of the TUS podcasts has a comparison of several pickups and amps for accurate acoustic sound reproduction.

Basically, undersaddle piezo strip, piezo pads that stick to the underside of the soundboard, or internal mic/piezo combination.

The aNueNue Air Air pickup that has both a piezo and mic has gotten top reviews for accuracy and replicating acoustic sound.

Top Bottom