Facebook group mothballed

I didn't even know UU Forum had a Facebook page. I've never been a fan of Facebook, find it extremely cumbersome and inefficient, especially for keeping up with valuable information, I much prefer a real forum format. I was a member of UBass Fanatics, but dropped out a short while ago in favor of this forum and the Talk Bass forum.

Great shame that the Facebook group is now mothballed.
I didn't even know UU Forum had a Facebook page.

The two are very different. The page is still around, and with 71,000 followers, one of the largest ukulele followings on Facebook.

The private group was 29,500-ish, and as Aldrine noted in his message last week, it had been stagnant for years. Pulling the plug was prudent, because as has been proven over and over, groups can't run themselves, and Aldrine's focus has to be a LOT of other places, not least of which is the new AG Ukulele Academy on Kauai and the in-person uke group he and Aaron started there....plus the podcasts, livestreams, and song lessons at YT, posted along with the courses at UkuleleUnderground.com....plus his life as a working musician. Plus his second kid arriving. :) Not only was pulling that plug a good idea -- it was the right plug to pull. :)

There was a period a couple of years ago when things were pretty grim here, as I know many of you remember. There was a very legitimate question over whether the forum would survive at all. One of the cofounders actively tried to transition us to Discord (not a good fit at all -- the name should have been tipoff enough: you can't build a healthy community around discord!!!!), and there was some thought that maybe a Facebook group (not a page; they're really only barely related) could pick up the slack....but no. Facebook groups have their uses, but they're not a straight swap for forums....and I don't think I need to add anything more to that observation. :ROFLMAO:

(And of course it's not an either/or thing. I would expect that most of us feed our uke hunger from more than one source. I certainly do!)

This is a good time for me to thank you all again for letting me try to wrestle the tech back into shape here, an ongoing and occassionally ugly process, and thank again my colleague @ploverwing for helping me rebuild a garden of fun, openness, and respect that had been withering a bit from lack of tending. She and I have been on the case for a year and a little, and we've seen the community here grow by 150% year over year to date. It's amazing and delightful to me that in a time when forums are supposed to be dying that we're showing that it doesn't have to be like that when you take care of the basics, and create a pleasant place for pleasant people to gather.

Lots of good stuff ahead! With some tweaking of how our various communities across UU, YT, IG, Facebook and the rest are balanced still to come. :)

Cheers,
Tim

Thanks for all you do, Tim and @ploverwing!
Pete, I know there are legitimate reasons to do business through Facebook and, apparently, even through TikTok but, IMHO, much of the discord in our society starts with and is fomented through Facebook and its ilk. The less it gets used is 100% fine with me.
Just one man’s opinion.

Facebook is a graveyard. I miss when it was actually lively. It wasn't always the boring cored-out necropolis it is now.

Interesting comments. All of my business comes through building my 'tribe' on Facebook. I have tried other platforms and as frustrating as Meta is, it's where I have staked out my tent. One thing I will dispute is its so-called 'toxicity'. I don't know about you but muddy shoes are not allowed in my house. Likewise, I keep my group 'clean', insist on civility and limit uncensored postings. Draconian? Makes for a nice atmosphere and if you don't like it go somewhere else... Social media works if you control it. You have an off button. Use it. Don't complain, just move on.

I am also this forum was rescued. I had earned a reputation for being confrontational when this forum was going through an endless cycle of posts by people asking for 'advice' when they wanted vindication for their ideas. Well, that has largely gone and I no longer comment on the advice of my peers. Just want to let you know that I am still shaking but not moving so much. I still have ideas and techniques to share. And I always learn from your postings.

Interesting comments. All of my business comes through building my 'tribe' on Facebook. I have tried other platforms and as frustrating as Meta is, it's where I have staked out my tent. One thing I will dispute is its so-called 'toxicity'. I don't know about you but muddy shoes are not allowed in my house. Likewise, I keep my group 'clean', insist on civility and limit uncensored postings. Draconian? Makes for a nice atmosphere and if you don't like it go somewhere else... Social media works if you control it. You have an off button. Use it. Don't complain, just move on.

I am also glad this forum was rescued. I had earned a reputation for being confrontational when this forum was going through an endless cycle of posts by people asking for 'advice' when they wanted vindication for their ideas. Well, that has largely gone and I no longer comment on the advice of my peers. Just want to let you know that I am still shaking but not moving so much. I still have ideas and techniques to share. And I always learn from your postings.

The two are very different. The page is still around, and with 71,000 followers, one of the largest ukulele followings on Facebook.

The private group was 29,500-ish, and as Aldrine noted in his message last week, it had been stagnant for years. Pulling the plug was prudent, because as has been proven over and over, groups can't run themselves, and Aldrine's focus has to be a LOT of other places, not least of which is the new AG Ukulele Academy on Kauai and the in-person uke group he and Aaron started there....plus the podcasts, livestreams, and song lessons at YT, posted along with the courses at UkuleleUnderground.com....plus his life as a working musician. Plus his second kid arriving. :) Not only was pulling that plug a good idea -- it was the right plug to pull. :)

There was a period a couple of years ago when things were pretty grim here, as I know many of you remember. There was a very legitimate question over whether the forum would survive at all. One of the cofounders actively tried to transition us to Discord (not a good fit at all -- the name should have been tipoff enough: you can't build a healthy community around discord!!!!), and there was some thought that maybe a Facebook group (not a page; they're really only barely related) could pick up the slack....but no. Facebook groups have their uses, but they're not a straight swap for forums....and I don't think I need to add anything more to that observation. :ROFLMAO:

(And of course it's not an either/or thing. I would expect that most of us feed our uke hunger from more than one source. I certainly do!)

This is a good time for me to thank you all again for letting me try to wrestle the tech back into shape here, an ongoing and occassionally ugly process, and thank again my colleague @ploverwing for helping me rebuild a garden of fun, openness, and respect that had been withering a bit from lack of tending. She and I have been on the case for a year and a little, and we've seen the community here grow by 150% year over year to date. It's amazing and delightful to me that in a time when forums are supposed to be dying that we're showing that it doesn't have to be like that when you take care of the basics, and create a pleasant place for pleasant people to gather.

Lots of good stuff ahead! With some tweaking of how our various communities across UU, YT, IG, Facebook and the rest are balanced still to come. :)

Cheers,
Tim
Thank you for all your hard work!

Cheers,
Tim
I was in the UU fbook group for a while, but left when I had my "dark night of the ukulele" period and almost sold all my ukes. I stayed on as a member here and am so glad I did.

@TimWilson and @ploverwing -you've done so much for this community, the improvements in the site are remarkable! If there were more sites like UU forum, the internet would be a better place to be.

I am also this forum was rescued. I had earned a reputation for being confrontational when this forum was going through an endless cycle of posts by people asking for 'advice' when they wanted vindication for their ideas. Well, that has largely gone and I no longer comment on the advice of my peers. Just want to let you know that I am still shaking but not moving so much. I still have ideas and techniques to share. And I always learn from your postings.
I appreciate the discourse and will explain the basis for my opinion. I live in a neighborhood of 300 detached single family homes in a relatively rural area. The place was developed in the late 1990’s. We have covenants that are routinely and fairly enforced but not to the extent of so- called “lawn nazis”. Around 10 years ago I was encouraged to “join” the community’s Facebook group.

I remained a member around 3 months and have not used it since because it was nothing but a forum for name- calling jerks, constantly sniping and complaining.

My brother, on the other hand, regularly buys and sells farm equipment through FB Marketplace, shares family photos and such and is very happy with it. Meanwhile he also regularly posts and chimes in with wacko ultra conservative “influencers” who might be able to come up with a full set of teeth if you gathered them all in one room. Though I understand the basis for their gripes, most such “influencers” are simply mean- spirited separatists looking for someone to prop up their vitriol. I’d much rather be left alone than chime in.

Just not my thing, but I understand where you’re coming from.

Last edited:
I have a policy about FB and social media in general. In spite of all the political, sociological, and theological ranting on social media, my hunch is that the number of folks who have actually changed their mind on some issue they feel strongly about, based on something they read on social media is negligible. As such I decided years ago that on social media I will remain silent about politics and religion. And since my work is religious in nature, I also don't comment about my work. The only stuff I post on FB is when I'm out playing in nature or gathering with family/friends etc. And I generally don't accept friend requests from people who post a lot about politics or religion. It makes my experience with FB and other social media formats quite pleasant! :) I am also pretty quick to block people whose posts or comments are of the nature that make my experience unpleasant.

Last edited:
I don't know what a Facebook page is, how is that different from a group? I just clicked the Facebook icon below, but it didn't go to a UU page. How do I get there? I just searched Google for Facebook ukulele, of the many it found, Ukulele Lovers shows it has 156,372 members.

Last edited:
I don't know what a Facebook page is, how is that different from a group? I just clicked the Facebook icon below, but it didn't go to a UU page. How do I get there? I just searched Google for Facebook ukulele, of the many it found, Ukulele Lovers shows it has 156,372 members.
I did the search from within FB. In the upper left corner of any FB screen there is a "Search Facebook" button. I searched for Ululele Underground and it came right up. 71k members.

… i don't know about you but muddy shoes are not allowed in my house. Likewise, I keep my group 'clean', insist on civility and limit uncensored postings. Draconian? Makes for a nice atmosphere and if you don't like it go somewhere else... Social media works if you control it….
I took a quick peek - you have about 1,800 folks in your group. That’s a size one person can keep civil with a modest amount of time and energy. Speaking from hard-earned experience, it doesn’t scale. Get bigger and you attract an avalanche of dick pics, bots, and shitposting.

Forums feel very old school, but I like it here :)

A page represents a single entity, usually along the lines of a company or public figure. So the UU Facebook page is UU itself, as an entity. It's similar to a profile (which is for people) in that it makes posts and those posts show up on a feed. It's different from a profile in that it doesn't have "friends" rather has people who "like" and/or "follow" to see what the page is sharing. Pages can also utilize Facebook marketing tools to promote their posts. Only pages can post to their own timelines, there is sometimes a community section where followers can share a post but it doesn't show up on the pages timeline. Profiles on the other hand can have friends post on their timeline. Profiles can set privacy to determine who can see what or post what on their timeline.

Groups are, well, groups of people who typically join from their personal profiles (though some groups allow pages to join.) Anyone in the group can post for everyone in that group to see. It can be confusing because often a page named for a specific entity will have an associated group with a similar or even the same name. They're similar to forums in that they are for community dialog but they're not at all organized like forums are.

I agree but...you can control toxic, you can't control boring. So many groups have turned into graveyards where no matter what, the most engagement any post gets is a few likes.

I mainly use it to keep up with Ukrainian friends I can't contact elsewhere.

Now you mention it I'm honestly weighing up deleting Facebook. I find all I really seem to do is log on...look at pictures of moths...get into a few pointless arguments and log off again. Why not save that mental energy for something more productive such as my writing?

Top Bottom