Famous FS-1 vs Martin S1

Being the author of the video, I am pretty sure that if you compare equivalent Kiwaya vs. Martin, such as solid mahogany vs. solid mahogany, the Kiwaya will win in just about every scenario--except smell. Martin mahogany models have a unique smell that doesn't fade. The only other things that could steer you to the Martin would be either the availability of the Kiwaya (not as easy to get in the US as a Martin) and then, of course, the desire for a Martin, due to its history.

Incidentally, I was going to sell the long-neck soprano, but couldn't, and decided to keep it. The S1 stays in my collection--along with a Model 2 concert--not only because of the sound and playability, but also because of the Martin name, and that's okay!

If anyone is interested, Kiwaya just posted a review of the Martin 0XK "Life is good" soprano. If you don't understand Japanese, the second half of the video has more playing and less talking. I think the ukulele has a rich sound for a laminate ukulele and a nice clear tone when played up the neck, which is where cheaper sopranos usually fail. A few years ago, Martin did make a version of the 0XK soprano without the front graphics. Those are now discontinued and sold out and are surprisingly hard to find on the used market, which probably means that the owners like them enough to hold on to them.

Last edited:
Being the author of the video, I am pretty sure that if you compare equivalent Kiwaya vs. Martin, such as solid mahogany vs. solid mahogany, the Kiwaya will win in just about every scenario--except smell. Martin mahogany models have a unique smell that doesn't fade. The only other things that could steer you to the Martin would be either the availability of the Kiwaya (not as easy to get in the US as a Martin) and then, of course, the desire for a Martin, due to its history.

Incidentally, I was going to sell the long-neck soprano, but couldn't, and decided to keep it. The S1 stays in my collection--along with a Model 2 concert--not only because of the sound and playability, but also because of the Martin name, and that's okay!
The solid mahogany Kiwaya may win against the S1 but it is also in a noticeably higher price range, no? It makes sense it would win when it is several hundred more :) Unless there is a made in Japan solid mahogany Kiwaya I‘m not aware of that is in the S1 price range...

The solid mahogany Kiwaya may win against the S1 but it is also in a noticeably higher price range, no? It makes sense it would win when it is several hundred more :) Unless there is a made in Japan solid mahogany Kiwaya I‘m not aware of that is in the S1 price range...
Cheapest solid wood Kiwaya that I know of is the well-regarded KTS-4, which retails for about $600 in the USA. That is 50% higher than the Martin S1.

Martin does make some really excellent solid wood ukuleles, like the new 0 Soprano and the 2K models, but those are more than double the price of the KTS-4. I don't have any experience with Kiwaya ukuleles in that price range.

You could try to compare a Martin laminate ukulele like their 0XK series vs a Kiwaya eco-series laminate like the KS-5. In that case, my personal preference is the Martin, but some people may prefer the Kiwaya.

As UkeStuff said, the comparison between the laminate Kiwaya and the solid Martin is probably not very useful. It would be better to compare two solid instruments. In that case, you are getting into some pretty expensive territory for both the Martin and Kiwaya. Kiwaya solid instruments are made in Japan, so a truly fair comparison would be the Kiwaya solid instrument and a Martin USA built instrument. This would put them on more equal footing, as the Martin USA ukuleles have more attention to detail than the Mexican ones.

If you just want to know what is the best bang for your buck, and you don’t care whether it’s solid or laminate, or whether it’s made in its country of origin or in Mexico, or China, that’s a different question. Both companies make good instruments, and it’s really a question of how much you are willing to pay for a perhaps small difference in sound. I’m not sure if a US made Martin is even in the discussion, but if it were, it would make the KTS-4 seem very affordable. Good luck in your quest! They are all good.

I think that a solid USA modern Martin would still be about 2x the price of a solid MIJ Kiwaya.
Cheapest solid wood Kiwaya that I know of is the KTS-4 that sells for $600 to $650 at US stores. I do not know how much those cost in Japan. Cheapest solid wood made-in-the-USA ukulele that I see on the Martin website is the 0 Soprano for $1600. That's about a 2.5x price difference.

I know if I were in the market, I'd pick the Kiwaya over the Martin any day. Japanese construction and QC over Mexico's.

Reactions: EDW
I know if I were in the market, I'd pick the Kiwaya over the Martin any day. Japanese construction and QC over Mexico's.
In her original post Karaoke said " ... and the S1 seems to sound better to me for the sound I'm interested in. "

Top Bottom