Favorite baritone ukulele in the $500-750 range

morgensd

Reaction score
Hey there. I'd like to buy a baritone uke and would love to hear from anyone who has one. My preferences run towards a more mellow sound so I've been looking at mahagony, acacia and mango solid wood models. I've listened to YouTube reviews of spruce top models but they sound a bit too guitar-ish for my taste. What did you get and what do you like and dislike about it.

Dave

In that price a Pono baritone will be everything you need and more. They have mahogany, acacia and mango, go to Hawaii Music Supply and listen to all the video/sound samples. Absolutely fabulous instruments, I have a Pono spruce and mahogany baritone in transit and I own a Pono tenor as well.

Yeah, the Pono is currently #1 on my list but I didn't want to just jump on that without hearing about some other options. I'll definitely check out the Favilla.

I have had all three and they are all fine instruments. If there is anyway you can play them, that really is the only way to know what suits you best. My LoPrinzis are all nice light builds with slender necks and really finely finished. The Favilla was much more basic but excellent tone, rich and mellow. Pono is my current daily player, it's not Mahog, but the cedar/acacia. Sweet sounding but not as mellow as Fav, but an excellent value, decent finish, moderate bling (not really important to me). I happened upon the Pono by chance and it was a bargain I couldn't pass up. As has been mentioned in a few previous threads, these can be a real bargain used. Seems folks in search of a more ultimate uke let these go for some super prices.

I sold my vintage Favilla baritone two years ago and miss it like a lost son. That richly aged mahogany is hard to beat.

It's the best and, for the most part, retains its value--and may appreciate.

No baritone LoPrinzis in stock but a mahogany is on the way. I'm intrigued by all the love being put out for the Favillas. Wish I could play one before I buy.

No baritone LoPrinzis in stock but a mahogany is on the way. I'm intrigued by all the love being put out for the Favillas. Wish I could play one before I buy.
What's not to like? beautifully grained one piece top and back, nicely shaped neck, light build, wonderful tone, and affordable.

The Favilla line was referred to as the Poor Man's Martin. The baritones are wonderful. Another rwonderful one is from Gianinni of Brazil made in Brazil

IMHO, I don't believe Favilla is the clear cut winner. With ukes, all I play are baritones, and I prefer the Pono.

Top Bottom