Favorite strings for Brad Donaldson sopranos

a green field

Reaction score
Hi all,

I thought I'd ask for advice on strings for my koa Brad Donaldson soprano. I think I have whatever stock strings he ships them with, and I'm looking to change it up. I am leaning towards Worth CM. I am just going to strum the soprano and save finger picking for my tenors. I have Fremont Black Line and Oasis Brights lying around if folks suggest that. Any favorites from folks on the forum?

Maybe drop BD a line first and ask him what he fitted? Depending on what you’re looking for sound wise he might well have suggestions too.

Martin M600’s have worked well on Sopranos for me and I really like the Aquila Super Nylgut Strings fitted to one of my old laminate Ukes. Living Waters strings (by Ken Middleton) are very popular and quite similar to Worth CM’s.

I’ve used standard Fremont Black-lines and liked them nearly as much as the Martins, as you’ve got them already why not give them a try?

BTW congrats on your BD Soprano, if I lived in the USA then I’d be talking to him about commissioning a basic mahogany Soprano off of him.

Last edited:
I have Worth CMs on my tenor from him, but it's Alaskan cedar and rosewood. I'm interested in what folks are going to suggest for his koa sopranos. Myself, I'll probably try Uke Logics next. This uke is plenty loud.

Hi all,

I thought I'd ask for advice on strings for my koa Brad Donaldson soprano. I think I have whatever stock strings he ships them with, and I'm looking to change it up. I am leaning towards Worth CM. I am just going to strum the soprano and save finger picking for my tenors. I have Fremont Black Line and Oasis Brights lying around if folks suggest that. Any favorites from folks on the forum?
Check with Brad. I think Worth CM is what he ships them with.

Hi all,

Aloha everyone, unless otherwise requested, I ship most of my ukuleles with Seagcuar Blue Label fluorocarbon fishing line, which near as I can find out, is identical to Fremont clear fluorocarbon strings. There are two reasons for this; first it helps keep my prices low. Second, as a artifact of my mandolin building days, I prefer to glue on the neck and string up my ukuleles before spraying the finish. This allows me the opportunity to perform any final tweaks. Using the same strings allows me a consistency in sound to compare my ukuleles to.
My personal favorite strings for koa ukulele are Worth strings, either clear or brown. I think they provide a nice balance of volume and timbre, but keep in mind that string choice is a very personal decision.
Brad

Aloha everyone, unless otherwise requested, I ship most of my ukuleles with Seagcuar Blue Label fluorocarbon fishing line, which is near as I can find out, is identical to Fremont clear fluorocarbon strings. There are two reasons for this; first it helps keep my prices low. Second, as a artifact of my mandolin building days, I prefer to glue on the neck and string up my ukuleles before spraying the finish. This allows me the opportunity to perform any final tweaks. Using the same strings allows me a consistency in sound to compare my ukuleles to.
My personal favorite strings for koa ukulele are Worth strings, either clear or brown. I think they provide a nice balance of volume and timbre, but keep in mind that string choice is a very personal decision.
Brad
Thank you Brad!

I am loving up my 2020 Donaldson 'hog soprano. So much so, that I had to bring it with me to Colombia! Here you have it in three pictures in different Andean cities, Armenia, Salento and Medellin. Saludos.

Attachments

• Uke in the Andies.jpeg
    Uke in the Andies.jpeg
    218.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Uke in Salento.jpeg
    Uke in Salento.jpeg
    236 KB · Views: 22
  • Uke in Medellin.jpeg
    Uke in Medellin.jpeg
    152.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
OMG! I see that rope and I believe that uke is being held hostage. I have seen this in old movies. They always say "we're going to make you sing". Somebody, please contact authorities or maybe the US Embassy!

Bradford set up my custom concert uke with Worth Clear, and that is all I've ever used on it. The Nunes-style soprano, he sent to me with Fremont Black Line strings. Whenever I finally get around to changing the strings, I'll probably try the Worth Brown, which are what I have o the Moku Soprano.

(I also have Worth Clear on my Sceptre.)

-Kurt​

Top Bottom