Favorite uke and why?

My answer is simple and not as interesting as others'. Yes, I do have a favorite. It is my custom London planetree tenor and I prefer it to my Kamaka. Why is it my favorite? Because it was made for me and it would be my signature uke if I were famous. It has 19 frets, florentine cutaway, no fret markers, and tuners behind the headstock. It is everything I want (and bespoke), so why wouldn't it be my favorite?

I guess my Kala eight string Is my favorite. Its dark, shiny, grained wood looks and feels good, and it sounds good when I’m singin’ wid it. It’s golden string pegs and white edging complement the dark, chocolate colored wood.

Now I feel like singin’ wid it, but it’s too late.

Last edited:
My answer is simple and not as interesting as others'. Yes, I do have a favorite. It is my custom London planetree tenor and I prefer it to my Kamaka. Why is it my favorite? Because it was made for me and it would be my signature uke if I were famous. It has 19 frets, florentine cutaway, no fret markers, and tuners behind the headstock. It is everything I want (and bespoke), so why wouldn't it be my favorite?
Who’s the luthier?

Of the four (Donner DUC-1, Ohana PKC-25G Pineapple, Makaio MSET-30BL solid body tenor, and Flight Nighthawk Tenor), it's definitely the Nighthawk. I love the wider nut width and also just the feel of the neck and frets. The Makaio probably gets more play because I can play it at night and not wake the entire house, but the Nighthawk is gorgeous, sounds amazing, and just so incredibly comfortable. I never see anyone talk about it, but the frets are ever-so-slightly taller than the Makaio and it makes the instrument infinitely more comfortable to play and easier to finger pick.

Some day I plan on expanding my collection more, but this uke is just such a delight to play.

Easy question. Has to be my baritone vintage Favilla. It is about 68 years old, plays like butter, is rich in overtones, and has the rich deep tone I love.

But my favorite instrument is my new Romero Creations 6 stringer. Technically it’s called a 6 string baritone but its truly a small guitar.

I am at a loss. I don't understand how a person like me who has about 30 ukes can have a favorite? Impossible. I have many favorites like I have many favorite foods, and favorite places to visit, and best friends. Out of all of my ukes, here are the tops and the ones I enjoy playing the most:
1. KoAloha Red Label Koa/cedar concert
View attachment 173459
2. Pops custom Koa tenor
View attachment 173460
3. Vintage Martin Tenor
View attachment 173461
4. Pops Wow (harmony)
View attachment 173462
5. Romero Grand Tenor Rosewood/cedar
View attachment 173463
Digging your pops custom - that’s one sexy Uke 🔥

Yeah... you should edit that 😁...

(or it could be Love the One Your Width, I'd have to look it up...)
Maybe the "one" is your's and you're with them?

I'm enjoying the laugh. ;) Anyway grammar can be fun. As I've said to my children, I love math it's like doing crossword puzzles. (But I really do enjoy math, but crossword puzzles not so much.)

Definitely my Millar cedar/rosewood concert. It feels amazing, sounds great and I feel I got my "money's worth" whenever I play it.

Waiting for just the right Millar tenor or baritone...

My fave is my Ohana CK-42 concert. I love the way it sounds! So much resonance and sustain! I've got it tuned and set up to my liking, and it just makes me happy. I also like that, even though it's a factory-built uke, it's got a "story" in the sinker Redwood top. Wood from a 1,000 year old tree that sat at the bottom of a riverbed for 100 years. Did I mention that it sounds fantastic?

But, I do have a challenger on the way...
You're putting a bug in my ear for a redwood uke...

My days of having a lot of ukes and of having nicer ukes is over. Most of my collection was lost in a flood in 2010 that claimed everything me and my family owned.

I no longer have the financial means to buy much stuff that isn't essential. I am, of course, thankful for what I have.

I have five ukes now. One (vintage Harmony bari) is unplayable due to a serious neck repair I have to get around to.

Two were gifts, including a Kala resonator tenor.

My favorites of what I have now are favorites for sentimental/nostalgic reasons and not because of quality.

One is a cheap Makala baritone that my father gave me shortly before he passed.

The other is a no-name Japanese soprano, probably from the 60s. It was one of the first ukes I bought back in 1999. It was a $15 ebay score. It's been to six countries on two continents with me. It's ugly. It's beat up and it's been through hell. It is nothing special, but it's sweet and has seen me through some dark times. Pictured below:

Attachments

• 20230604_101349.jpg
    20230604_101349.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 17
If the house was on fire and I could only save one ukulele, it would be my custom Beansprout Port Orford Cedar and Walnut Tenor. Not only is it my most expensive ukulele, but it's also the best-sounding and easiest-playing instrument in my stable.

View attachment 173446
That says a LOT - especially when I see all the other fine instruments in your collection - there's no lack of competition there!

Probably my Hamano h100. It’s not the best sounding uke I’ve ever played (but it does sound nice), but it is the nicest feeling and playing uke I’ve owned, and I’ve really come to realize that I almost prefer playability and feel over tone these days. Oh and I got it from a really cool member here who shipped it all the way to me from Germany!

Top Bottom