Finally no more squeak on my Aquila Reds, which I think are awesome strings :D

Personally dealing with months of squeaky strings seems crazy. They would have to be 5 times better than any alternative and last forever after that for me to even consider it. I've tried the 'new and squeakless' Aquila Sugars and they squeaked considerably less than in your recording. I have thrown them out couple days later anyways.

I've been experimenting with strings on my Pohaku resonator. This past October I put on the Reds in low g. No squeaks, no snaps........no problems...
Other than the original ghs strings that came on the resonator these have been my favorite so far.....

I have not tried a full set of Reds yet. I should give them a try. I do very much like the Red wound low G they sell in singles and have used those.

I tried Sugars once and liked them ok, but too hard to the touch for me.

I'll try to remember to keep Reds on my list next time I order strings.

I’ll be trying out Reds for an E string on a tenor tuned baby baritone since I’ve been snapping the Pyramid gut strings like crazy.

Anyone have suggestions on what gauge Red I should use?

I have had really good luck with Reds. Very early on there were some issues. I was fortunate enough to get to test the newest formulation a couple of years ago courtesy of Mimmo. I have had no Issues since. They work famously on the right ukulele. But it takes time experimenting what each particular ukulele to find the strings it really shines with. I have had ukuleles I was ready to part with until I had gone through multiple sets of strings and then it felt like an awakening. Each ukulele is its own different animal.
In the whole aspect of things strings are the least expensive part of the whole experience.
If you dislike the the way a particular set sounds, try another.

Last edited:
Personally dealing with months of squeaky strings seems crazy. They would have to be 5 times better than any alternative and last forever after that for me to even consider it. I've tried the 'new and squeakless' Aquila Sugars and they squeaked considerably less than in your recording. I have thrown them out couple days later anyways.
Fair enough, imo it's fine since it's only really noticeable on nail-less fingerpicking, which I don't do much yet, strumming there's really no squeak even when the strings are new (there's no squeak on the fretboard). Here's an early example.

So for me the difference in how my uke sounds is worth it, but to each their own :)

That's true, I pick with my finger pads followed by nails (actually I had the idea of trying with no nails like a week ago, not a good one, waiting for them to grow back :D) so for me the squeaking was very noticeable.
No issues with strumming, yeah.

I have had really good luck with Reds. Very early on there were some issues. I was fortunate enough to get to test the newest formulation a couple of years ago courtesy of Mimmo. I have had no Issues since. They work famously on the right ukulele. But it takes time experimenting what each particular ukulele to find the strings it really shines with. I have had ukuleles I was ready to part with until I had gone through multiple sets of strings and then it felt like an awakening. Each ukulele is its own different animal.
In the whole aspect of things strings are the least expensive part of whole experience.
If you dislike the the way a particular set sounds, try another.
Yeah, mine came with a 12/2020 stamp date, so they're probably the latest formulation.

hello,
I've been playing most exclusively on Aquila reds for many years now and never had ANY snapping.
One should stick strictly to Mimmo's tutorial here :

(And of course put a good amount of graphite in the nut grooves).
As said before, Reds might not be for every uke; wood species and action might play a role in the equation. If they feel too stiff for you, you can try to lower the tuning, from a half-step down to three steps down. What I like as well is that they last virtually forever...
Hope this helps,
gilles

Top Bottom