First electric uke and I'm clueless

Well in your budget or just a few dollars more you have the Blackstar Fly 3 ---Kala Tweed 5w mini made for ukulele----

Shop around for the best price--there is some variation across vendors.
Ooh, neat! Thank you!

speaking of blackstar, I bought a 75 watt blackstar and my wife flipped out. However, once I weathered the storm I had a great amp. I have never had it above 2 on the volume dial because it frightening, like a strike of lightning that lands too close for comfort. Like the OP, I know nothing of amps. I just plug in, add a pedal or two (fuzz is my favorite) and just play. Most definitely I am not exploiting the variables that the amp provides, but I'm having fun, being loud, and playing pentatonics with overdrive and a wah-wah.

I'm sorry I looked up the Blackstar Fly 3 and the Kala and they are a little bit above the $50 mark. There is the area of cost quality return and all that. You buy a really inexpensive perhaps cheap amp and it sounds all boxy--tinny--small--not likely your instrument more likely the amp/equipment.

I don't know anything about the Kala amp other that the brand name. I'd have to watch some youtube reviews. I know a few fairly good musicians--people who casually gig--play in parks with friends--and the like and they have been happy with the Blackstar Fly 3 for their more simple needs. Of course they have other amps for greater needs as well.

If you use Amazon Prime days are coming up July 11-12 maybe find something affordable there.

I've used some Donner effects pedals, perhaps their mini amp is ok. The pedals I've used were good.

I'd stay away from the Danelectrono Honey tone---small-tinny-weak sound. Anything similar as well.

OR https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...-3-acoustic-3-watt-1x3-inch-combo-amp/reviews

I've bought from Sweetwater for several years now and have never been disappointed.

You'll likely want in outlet plug if the amp doesn't come with one and of course you'll need an instrument cable. Figure that into your costs.

Last edited:
I'm sorry I looked up the Blackstar Fly 3 and the Kala and they are a little bit above the $50 mark. There is the area of cost quality return and all that. You buy a really inexpensive perhaps cheap amp and it sounds all boxy--tinny--small--not likely your instrument more likely the amp/equipment.

I don't know anything about the Kala amp other that the brand name. I'd have to watch some youtube reviews. I know a few fairly good musicians--people who casually gig--play in parks with friends--and the like and they have been happy with the Blackstar Fly 3 for their more simple needs. Of course they have other amps for greater needs as well.

If you use Amazon Prime days are coming up July 11-12 maybe find something affordable there.

I've used some Donner effects pedals, perhaps their mini amp is ok. The pedals I've used were good.

I'd stay away from the Danelectrono Honey tone---small-tinny-weak sound. Anything similar as well.

OR https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...-3-acoustic-3-watt-1x3-inch-combo-amp/reviews

I've bought from Sweetwater for several years now and have never been disappointed.

You'll likely want in outlet plug if the amp doesn't come with one and of course you'll need an instrument cable. Figure that into your costs.

Thank you for all of the information! I realize that I will be sacrificing quality to stay in my price range...this really is to test the new uke and to see if electric is something I even am interested in pursuing. I won't blame the uke if the amp has a "small" sound. It's not the uke's fault I'm broke, lol!

My budget is tiny-- definitely less than $50. All I need right now is something to test out the uke, and play around with a little bit. I won't be performing with it or anything like that. This is "singing in the shower" kind of stuff. :)
Keep in mind that the cable alone will set you back at least $10 already. If you have a computer and want to record instead of using amp for performance, you can plug into the computer.

Thank you for all of the information! I realize that I will be sacrificing quality to stay in my price range...this really is to test the new uke and to see if electric is something I even am interested in pursuing. I won't blame the uke if the amp has a "small" sound. It's not the uke's fault I'm broke, lol!
Do you know someone with guitars and amps?
I don't have an amp. When I bought my Enya Nova Pro tenor, I asked someone I if I could come round to his house to test if everything was working, and if the balance was right. It didn't take long, but I knew everything was working properly.

Try to avoid electric guitar amps if you can. They are optimized for a narrow frequency range. Acoustic amps or keyboard amps do not have that filtering.

This is the only amp I have. It’s good for my needs and situation. Maybe someday I’ll upgrade but don’t really feel the need to.

Blackstar FLY3 Acoustic Amp https://a.co/d/iBCaKfO

Take it to your local Guitar Center, and ask to try out a few low-priced amps. Set the bass to the middle, the mids off, and just open the treble a bit (almost off) then advance the treble (and mid) to your liking. The salesperson will think you're an expert.

You are not obligated to buy, as at this point you are just shopping around.

Leave your credit card in the car ;) Then, go on Craigslist to see what you can find within your budget.
I thought the best thing to do off the rip is to neutralize everything to get an idea how the amp sounds?

My first question is do you need an amp at all? What’s your use case? I rarely ever need to amplify my acoustic ukes. For the occasional open mic, there is usually a PA system ready to go.

Thank you all for the continuing education! I feel a lot more confident going about this now.

I unfortunately don't know anyone with an amp I can borrow, but I'm sure I can find something small that I can afford. I at least will be able to test the uke.

Last edited:
Be aware that amplifying can become an obsession in and of itself. The fascination of being able to make sounds like an electric guitar will occupy/involve a significant amount of time and money. I have had that problem for many years, but don't foresee me ever needing amplification for playing in public. I just don't need to be louder. It is/was just for self-amusement and experiment. BTW, small bass amps with no effects (clean - no distortion channel) can work well with ukulele.

For several years being "electric" was a requirement to purchase. I finally got over that. It was distracting me from playing.

I do like the built-in tuners, though!

Last edited:
Be aware that amplifying can become an obsession in and of itself. The fascination of being able to make sounds like an electric guitar will occupy/involve a significant amount of time and money. I have had that problem for many years, but don't foresee me ever needing amplification for playing in public. I just don't need to be louder. It is/was just for self-amusement and experiment. BTW, small bass amps with no effects (clean - no distortion channel) can work well with ukulele.

For several years being "electric" was a requirement to purchase. I finally got over that. It was distracting me from playing.

I do like the built-in tuners, though!
I don't think that will happen to me, but I know better than to say it absolutely won't, lol.

All kinds of “mini” amps on Amazon for “Prime” day under $50…

Didja order one?
Actually, my partner bought me one! He got me a Honeytone. I know someone here said to avoid those, but I was also told by someone at Sweetwater that they would work for what I needed...I really don't need much, so I hope the latter is correct enough for now. In any event, the uke arrived and I was able to test it and the amp, and it seems like a lot of fun. I know I still have a lot of ins and outs to learn about it, but I am sure I will enjoy getting there.

I really appreciate everybody's help here, even though it worked out the way I did. I'm saving all of the advice I got here so if I decide I need more out of an amp than the little Honeytone will provide, I can figure out what my next upgrade step will be.

Top Bottom