First Look: Woodi Plastic Soprano

Some sound example of my Woodi, sold as Beach Buddy in .de, another bargain (25 bucks)

The slots of the nut I deepend as recommended in the german forum. Action in the first fret was IMO high and (very) un-comfy to play, so I lowered it for each string (minimal slots with a selfmade gauge out of two blades of a cutter-knife). Now it's really good to play.

In comparison to my Maccaferri: Much heavier (but more sturdy), and sounds more dull (but Mac has Aquilas, Woodi still orig nylons). Absolute brilliant colours. To avoid a overwhelming (and louder) plastic sound, I still will use the nylon strings. Frets are flat, and made of metal.

It will now be my office uke, my Flea has to go, reason: The Flea has this wonderfull mellow sound of wood, which is more difficult to hear with noisy people. And mellow sound of wood, I've with other ukes.

Woodi sounds like plastic, but IMO a nice sound, the vid shows not enough of the existent volume, maybe while picking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwdQsr2-FCI

Last edited:
review

Hi elmann,
Thank you for your interesting comments and for a great video. I really enjoyed it. "Mais oui, puisqu'il est en Francais!" ;-) Cheers! Mario

Some sound example of my Woodi, sold as Beach Buddy in .de, another bargain (25 bucks)

The slots of the nut I deepend as recommended in the german forum. Action in the first fret was IMO high and (very) un-comfy to play, so I lowered it for each string (minimal slots with a selfmade gauge out of two blades of a cutter-knife). Now it's really good to play.

In comparison to my Maccaferri: Much heavier (but more sturdy), and sounds more dull (but Mac has Aquilas, Woodi still orig nylons). Absolute brilliant colours. To avoid a overwhelming (and louder) plastic sound, I still will use the nylon strings. Frets are flat, and made of metal.

It will now be my office uke, my Flea has to go, reason: The Flea has this wonderfull mellow sound of wood, which is more difficult to hear with noisy people. And mellow sound of wood, I've with other ukes.

Woodi sounds like plastic, but IMO a nice sound, the vid shows not enough of the existent volume, maybe while picking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwdQsr2-FCI

I thought the strings that came on mine were rubbish too. They were a multi color set. But, I didn't have a spare set of Soprano strings and just left them on there. They stretched a lot for several days. Then they settled in and have been holding pitch as good as any strings for the last couple of weeks. And, they sound good enough that I'm not in any hurry to replace them. After all, it's a plastic uke, and it sounds like a plastic uke. Putting good strings on would probably help some, but after all, lipstick on a pig, and all that. Bottom line is I like my Woodi, especially since I only play it in the bathtub!

You're right about the strings. Mine needed to settle in for a few days also. But in the end they held their tuning and I must say, I think think they sound quite good. I just lOVE the low action on the fretboard because of the thin small frets. But, playing in the bathtub...I haven't tried yet! ;-)

Mario

I thought the strings that came on mine were rubbish too. They were a multi color set. But, I didn't have a spare set of Soprano strings and just left them on there. They stretched a lot for several days. Then they settled in and have been holding pitch as good as any strings for the last couple of weeks. And, they sound good enough that I'm not in any hurry to replace them. After all, it's a plastic uke, and it sounds like a plastic uke. Putting good strings on would probably help some, but after all, lipstick on a pig, and all that. Bottom line is I like my Woodi, especially since I only play it in the bathtub!

Top Bottom