First Ukulele

raoliveri

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I've ready many an article on so many sites about what to buy starting out....

Everyone says by a $100-$200 Uke until you know what you want...

My wife had a $50 Luna Soprano that I picked up (I'm a piano guy) and I enjoyed the fact I could enjoy another instrument since I tried guitar and failed miserably. The Luna probably sucks but for a week of playing it showed me I liked what I was doing and my fingers were numb and sore from all the playing I have been doing. So I decided to dive in....

I decided to get a real instrument and after trying a LOT of ukes I decided to buy a KoAloha Soprano. I just like the sound of the Soprano and the playability on this instrument was outstanding. I even bought a Martin StreetMaster Tenor and HATED it and sent it back!! I disliked the sound, the feel and the tone of the Martin....

Again, I'm a keyboard junkie and my wife has a masters in piano and conducting and we both decided at 60 plus to do this together. I let her play many ukes and she decided on a KoAloha Pikake Concert after going back and forth on a Pikake tenor...So we are now a family of KoAlohas, Soprano and concert...I love her concert btw!

I found if you don't enjoy playing a less expensive instrument you wont play it and thats how I felt with a Non Big 3 K ukulele.

So here my wife and I are 1 month into playing...I practice probably an hour a day and take a day off when my fingers get raw (painful) but im building up callouses so it's getting much easier...

I've been looking for something other than my KoAloha Soprano and just ordered a Kanile'a Tenor Pineapple and excited for it to get here!!

I guess my question is, am I wrong at purchasing decent ukes from the beginning? We are now, as a family, have a soprano, concert and tenor all of which I think are great instruments....well we will see how much I like the Kanile'a. Oh, and we went with the low G on the Concert and LOVE it...I ordered the Kanile'a the same way....

No, you aren't wrong. Having a quality uke (ukes), with great tone and playability will cause you to want to pick it up and play it. I know from experience with many fretted instruments.

Nothing wrong with that. If you can afford it and you enjoy it, get the uke that's gonna make you pick it up and play it. The playability of more expensive ukes alone makes it worth it, let alone the beautiful woods and stuff you can get. I'm not a very good player so I need all the help I can get. Everyone jokes about how a better uke won't make you a better player but I disagree; a better uke is definitely easier to play and sounds better all on its own even without your help.

Welcome!

Both of you come from the music world and recognize that there is a wide range of quality differences in instruments.It makes complete sense for you to acquire the KoAloha ukuleles. You will appreciate the looks , feel, sound, etc. every time you pick it up. And they will save you money buying cheaper ones that would be resold as you finally ended up with the K ukes.

(and coming from the music world, ukuleles must look way underpriced)

You guys obviously know keyboards. Instruments are instruments. You wouldn't buy a crappy piano, so why buy a crappy ukulele. There are people who really get off on buying cheap ukes and being able to make music for a pittance. But unless that's your kink, there's no need to justify buying a decent uke

I've ready many an article on so many sites about what to buy starting out....

Everyone says by a $100-$200 Uke until you know what you want...

My wife had a $50 Luna Soprano that I picked up (I'm a piano guy) and I enjoyed the fact I could enjoy another instrument since I tried guitar and failed miserably. The Luna probably sucks but for a week of playing it showed me I liked what I was doing and my fingers were numb and sore from all the playing I have been doing. So I decided to dive in....

I decided to get a real instrument and after trying a LOT of ukes I decided to buy a KoAloha Soprano. I just like the sound of the Soprano and the playability on this instrument was outstanding. I even bought a Martin StreetMaster Tenor and HATED it and sent it back!! I disliked the sound, the feel and the tone of the Martin....

Again, I'm a keyboard junkie and my wife has a masters in piano and conducting and we both decided at 60 plus to do this together. I let her play many ukes and she decided on a KoAloha Pikake Concert after going back and forth on a Pikake tenor...So we are now a family of KoAlohas, Soprano and concert...I love her concert btw!

I found if you don't enjoy playing a less expensive instrument you wont play it and thats how I felt with a Non Big 3 K ukulele.

So here my wife and I are 1 month into playing...I practice probably an hour a day and take a day off when my fingers get raw (painful) but im building up callouses so it's getting much easier...

I've been looking for something other than my KoAloha Soprano and just ordered a Kanile'a Tenor Pineapple and excited for it to get here!!

I guess my question is, am I wrong at purchasing decent ukes from the beginning? We are now, as a family, have a soprano, concert and tenor all of which I think are great instruments....well we will see how much I like the Kanile'a. Oh, and we went with the low G on the Concert and LOVE it...I ordered the Kanile'a the same way....
Hah you are so in deep already! OTOH, with your piano expertise (s), a fine quality ukulele is almost a must for all the obvious reasons. A Kanile'a pineapple - awesome! Hope you do a nud (new ukulele day) on that one!

You guys obviously know keyboards. Instruments are instruments. You wouldn't buy a crappy piano, so why buy a crappy ukulele. There are people who really get off on buying cheap ukes and being able to make music for a pittance. But unless that's your kink, there's no need to justify buying a decent uke
I posted my “like” because I genuinely agree with the responses from @ripock, @merlin666 and @rainbow21. Those who are familiar with my uke journey may find that intellectually dishonest but I stick with Yowling Tom simply because I self- identify as a tinkerer rather than as a musician. :)

The pleasure I gain is that ever- present “wow” when I’m able to coax a remotely pleasing sound from this thing that arrived as a bunch of partially- finished chunks of wood and plastic in an impossibly- lightweight package.

If lovin’ Tom is wrong….

Last edited:
Hah you are so in deep already! OTOH, with your piano expertise (s), a fine quality ukulele is almost a must for all the obvious reasons. A Kanile'a pineapple - awesome! Hope you do a nud (new ukulele day) on that one!
It should be coming on Valentine's Day, which is my birthday perfect day for it to come

You decided you like playing the ukulele and bought the instruments that appealed to you. That makes sense to me.

Playing devil’s advocate: what if someone here replied that you need to earn the right to buy/play an expensive uke (or whatever)? Would that change how you feel about your decision? I hope not.

I think having a better sounding instrument may inspire you to keep playing and progressing. At least that’s how I justified it.

Congrats and Enjoy!

I think yer nuts. If you decide ukulele is not your thing, you just spent a lot of cash. Lotsa’ mid-range and lower priced ukuleles play great, and if it’s not what you want, move on…

You decided you like playing the ukulele and bought the instruments that appealed to you. That makes sense to me.

Playing devil’s advocate: what if someone here replied that you need to earn the right to buy/play an expensive uke (or whatever)? Would that change how you feel about your decision? I hope not.
Nope. I truly love the KoAlohas. Wife and I. Great decision

I'll pile on the "you did the right thing" opinion. As Terry said you end up saving money in the long run when you buy something you love and will grow with you.

Even if you don't end up liking the ukulele you can always sell it. Either you like it and keep it or you get considerable percentage back every time with the nice high quality instruments

I posted my “like” because I genuinely agree with the responses from @ripock, @merlin666 and @rainbow21. Those who are familiar with my uke journey may find that intellectually dishonest but I stick with Yowling Tom simply because I self- identify as a tinkerer rather than as a musician. :)

The pleasure I gain is that ever- present “wow” when I’m able to coax a remotely pleasing sound from this thing that arrived as a bunch of partially- finished chunks of wood and plastic in an impossibly- lightweight package.

If lovin’ Tom is wrong….
One can appreciate and affirm another’s path as wise, while still choosing a different one for oneself.

That is an excellent example of intellectual honesty. 🙂

One can appreciate and affirm another’s path as wise, while still choosing a different one for oneself.

That is an excellent example of intellectual honesty. 🙂
I identify as a tinkerer, also. Stringing, tunings, arrangements, techniques, genres, modifying instruments…

To the OP…
Knowing what you want and getting it is a great way to live! Welcome to the wonderful world of the Ukulele!

I have a hard time knowing what I want, or knowing what I want long enough to stick with it. 🙂

Top Bottom