Friends don't let friends drink Dos Equis XX

Thommy_B

Reaction score
Anybody see the new ad from Dos Equis beer? "Friends Don't Let Friends Be The Ukulele Guy". Nice. Of course it features a dopey dude annoying his yacht-buds with an out of tune, poorly played uke, even to the irritation of a neighboring yacht pleading with the hapless virtuoso to "Make it stop!" Forget the fact that a beer company is co-opting the line from "Friends don't let friends drive drunk", are we suddenly a punching bag for some lame ad room stuck on a way to compete with Modelo??? Probably. Maybe that's a thing. Dudes ruining the party bustin' out the Kala. Sorry. I'll leave it home next time we set out to sea with a cooler full of XX!

Brand Achievement!✨ Audience successfully alienated!

Edit: Would love to see the flip commercial with friends around strumming and they stop the loser who brought Dos Equis.

Brand Achievement!✨ Audience successfully alienated!

Edit: Would love to see the flip commercial with friends around strumming and they stop the loser who brought Dos Equis.
Now, if Jake Shimabukuro shredded from his yacht while his crew passed out the Modelo... Yeah. Take my money, Modelo, and I don't even drink!

I don't drink so no skin off my nose. If Red Bull did this I might bother being annoyed.

I just called Dos Equis and logged a formal complaint that their commercial has thoroughly offended the ukulele community. I said that there are virtuoso ukulele players like Jake that they need to see, and there is no call to ridicule us. I made a point that my group includes up to 50 people, and that I'm a member of an international ukulele forum, and a great number of us take offense to the commercial.

I’ll repeat & rephrase the response I posted the first time someone brought up this subject: I think the beer retailer’s lack of judgment and tact is irrelevant because no form of advertising (uke- demeaning or not) will ever change my opinion that the only palatable beer is stout/ dark lager, namely either Yuengling or Guiness.

If I’m at a restaurant and choose to order beer, if they have no bottled stout, I always order ice water. In other words, I won’t drink a drop of Dos Equis, Corona, Modelo, Michelob, Miller, PBR or even Budweiser even if they’re giving it away. Therefore, the makers of Dos Equis are hurting no one other than themselves when posting an offensive ad. Just one man’s opinion ;).

Last edited:
I just called Dos Equis and logged a formal complaint that their commercial has thoroughly offended the ukulele community. I said that there are virtuoso ukulele players like Jake that they need to see, and there is no call to ridicule us. I made a point that my group includes up to 50 people, and that I'm a member of an international ukulele forum, and a great number of us take offense to the commercial.
Hear, hear!

I wonder why they chose uke. An accordian guy, banjo guy, guitar guy seem as likely as a "uke guy" being a thing. All of them could suck.
How about the didgeridoo guy? They can say "Didgeridoo? You mean didgeriDON'T!!!" That would sell tons of beer and only about 12k worldwide is offended!

Geez guys, much ado about nothing. I think it’s kinda funny, and who hasn’t had somebody look at you askance when you pulled out a ukulele uninvited. Besides band gigs, I never pull out any of my instruments in front of friends unless asked…

I guess it means the ukulele is popular. These kind of ads are usually about the acoustic guitar guy.

The ad is on YouTube and I think they changed the ending as the ukulele gets put down by the chair and not into the fire like before?

Uploaded it here so the YouTube video does not get extra clicks because of our curiosity.

View attachment Raise One with a Real One_ Ukulele.mp4

Maybe I'll start an ukulele company and my first ad campaign is called "Friends don't let friends be the Beer Ad Guy". A couple of friends sit around building cigar box ukes, when suddenly one of them starts telling the others his idea for a beer ad. "No!!!!" they all scream, and turn back to reinforcing their cigar boxes and argue about Low G. Then cut to Jake across the street who's saying to Beer Ad Guy, "Hey Ad Boy! Nice pants! What are they, Dockers???"

Geez guys, much ado about nothing. I think it’s kinda funny, and who hasn’t had somebody look at you askance when you pulled out a ukulele uninvited. Besides band gigs, I never pull out any of my instruments in front of friends unless asked…
You need to bust it out, Dusty! When you do it right, a crowd gathers.

Top Bottom