FS: KoAlana concert and/or Kala Ebony soprano! Beautiful sounds and looks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hendulele

Check your fleas
UU VIP
Reaction score
Folks, I want to raise some cash to help buy some PA equipment for our uke jam, which (to my amazement!) is getting more and more requests to perform in public places.

So I'm putting a couple of my treasured, stellar condition, but lesser-played ukes on the Marketplace.

Exhibit One is a KoAlana concert from KoAloaha. They sourced this series in Indonesia for a couple of years before introducing the Opio. Assembled overseas but finished in Hawaii by the KoAloha folks.

Here's a couple of videos about it from HMS at the time they were in the stores. (This one is of the tenor model, just because it includes some additional specs. The instrument I'm selling is a concert.)

It's a mahogany laminate that really sings. I bought from the N.C. Ukulele Academy, and Kent has the action set low and sweet. Currently strung with Worth Browns. I added a strap button at the base. You get the Musubi sound hole and terrific Grover open-geared tuners.

If you want K-brand quality at a price not much more than entry level, this is a great find. Since it's laminate, it's also not as climate-sensitive as a solid wood instrument. Asking $170 including shipping CONUS.

Exhibit Two is a Kala KA-EBY-S soprano. Laminate ebony, cream binding and rosette, black nu-bone saddle and nut. Less than a year old. It's a real cannon, terrific projection.

This isn't for me, though it's gorgeous if you love a look that's very dramatic. (I'm more into basics, if you set aside Magic Fluke products ;) .)It was a bit of an impulse buy. I wanted a soprano that could thrive outside a humidified environment during winter when the furnace is on. I love the way it sounds, and if you want a uke that'll dazzle the eyes and ears for a great price, this is a fine choice.

I wasn't impressed with the stock geared tuners, so I replaced them with Grover 6Bs (friction) and like them a lot better. I prefer friction tuners on sopranos anyway. The screw holes from the original tuners are still visible (see photos).

I bought it from Mim, and she set the action super-low, so it's a powerhouse. Strung with Martins on g, E, A, and Aquila Lava C because the Martin C was too bright for me.

Asking $110 including shipping CONUS for this one.

Exhibit C: Buy them both for $250 including shipping CONUS!!!

More photos in following posts.

IMG_3899.jpg
IMG_3901 2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3913.jpg
    IMG_3913.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3917.jpg
    IMG_3917.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_3916.jpg
    IMG_3916.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Note to anyone considering the KoAlana - This is one of the good ones KoAloha had made in Indonesia. I was lucky to find a used one early on, just my second uke after the little starter soprano. I totally love the thing, and if I ever need to sell off the rest of my ukuleles, the KoAlana will stay with me! It sounds amazing, and it plays like a far more expensive instrument. Nice volume, stays in tune forever, and it is quite nice looking.

I have nothing to do with this UU member or his sale, but I wanted people to know that despite some iffy early attempts by KoAloha to produce an affordable line of ukuleles, this particular model is the one they got right!

Note to anyone considering the KoAlana - This is one of the good ones KoAloha had made in Indonesia. I was lucky to find a used one early on, just my second uke after the little starter soprano. I totally love the thing, and if I ever need to sell off the rest of my ukuleles, the KoAlana will stay with me! It sounds amazing, and it plays like a far more expensive instrument. Nice volume, stays in tune forever, and it is quite nice looking.

I have nothing to do with this UU member or his sale, but I wanted people to know that despite some iffy early attempts by KoAloha to produce an affordable line of ukuleles, this particular model is the one they got right!

Thanks! It is a fine one. I wish our little ragtag outfit had some more cash on hand!

What do you mean by "...she set the action super-low"? How low at the 12th fret?

It's 3 mm, Jerry. As resonant as this guy is, it really projects if you have bright strings. I'm a big fan of fluorocarbons, which is why I switched out the C to an Aquila so it wasn't overpowering.

Thanks!

It's 3 mm, Jerry. As resonant as this guy is, it really projects if you have bright strings. I'm a big fan of fluorocarbons, which is why I switched out the C to an Aquila so it wasn't overpowering.

Thanks!

Thanks. 3mm is reasonable. KoAlohas have a reputation for projecting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom