Garage Band for Androids and Macbook upgrade?

Rosalei

Reaction score
Hello🌸

I want to experiment with a DAW and heard Garage band is super easy and fun but I have an android . The apk sites show warnings when I try to download it. Has anyone downloaded garageband on an Android?
Or have other DAW recommendations?

Also my MacBook laptop is too old to support garageband. I've had issues like that with other apps. Can MacBooks be upgraded or would I need to buy a new one for the latest version?

Thank you 🌸

I’d point you to Soundtrap; there is definitely a free version and it is web-based. It’s the only viable solution for schools that have gone all-in on Chromebooks. The only problem is that schools don’t provide funding for the musical web apps that can make Chromebooks into useable devices for music (I know, not related to your topic, but still connected in my world).

You could also give BandLab a try.

Other web apps worth trying are Noteflight, Flat.io (both notation) and Newzik (music reader)

I’d point you to Soundtrap; there is definitely a free version and it is web-based. It’s the only viable solution for schools that have gone all-in on Chromebooks. The only problem is that schools don’t provide funding for the musical web apps that can make Chromebooks into useable devices for music (I know, not related to your topic, but still connected in my world).

You could also give BandLab a try.

Other web apps worth trying are Noteflight, Flat.io (both notation) and Newzik (music reader)
Great so soundtrap is legit :) I was wondering I could trust it. And after posting this I discovered BandLab and downloaded that. I have no clue how to use them so I'll be hitting up YT all day 😆 do you have a preference between garageband and bandlab? Or recommendations for a complete newbie between those two?

Sorry about your problems with school funding 😪 I saw Jacob Collier uses Logic Pro and loves it. But I won't need that for a bit lol

Thank you for your response 🌸

I used Audio Evolution on Android for a while.

It works, but admit that I didnt quite explore its features. The whole thing with looking at tracks on a phone screen seems a bit cramped, so I eventually bought a laptop.

I used Audio Evolution on Android for a while.

It works, but admit that I didnt quite explore its features. The whole thing with looking at tracks on a phone screen seems a bit cramped, so I eventually bought a laptop.
I haven't heard of that one. Thank you, I will check it out. Do you have a favourite for your laptop?

I haven't heard of that one. Thank you, I will check it out. Do you have a favourite for your laptop?
On my laptop I use Reaper, which I am very content with. It is also affordable, one time payment of $60 in stead of monthly subscriptions. And two months free trial. And a lot of toturials online. Comes for all systems, Windows, Mac and Linux.

I am not very good at using it, but for what it is worth. I did a bit of recording with Audacity, decided to upgrade. Tried Reason studios free trial, but didnt connect with the user interface. Then I tried Reaper and stuck with that.

Also my MacBook laptop is too old to support garageband. I've had issues like that with other apps. Can MacBooks be upgraded or would I need to buy a new one for the latest version?
If your MacBook is so old to not support GarageBand, then there's no upgrading it, a new one would be necessary.

Could it be that your MacBook is too old for the current version of Garage Band, but that you could use an older version of Garage Band? Garage Band was introduced twenty years ago. Is your MacBook more than 20 years old?

On my laptop I use Reaper, which I am very content with. It is also affordable, one time payment of $60 in stead of monthly subscriptions. And two months free trial. And a lot of toturials online. Comes for all systems, Windows, Mac and Linux.

I am not very good at using it, but for what it is worth. I did a bit of recording with Audacity, decided to upgrade. Tried Reason studios free trial, but didnt connect with the user interface. Then I tried Reaper and stuck with that.
That sounds great and I like the price 😊 haven't heard of Reaper, thank you!

Could it be that your MacBook is too old for the current version of Garage Band, but that you could use an older version of Garage Band? Garage Band was introduced twenty years ago. Is your MacBook more than 20 years old?
Oh gosh I don't know, are the older versions still available? It's not that old, it's a MacBook. I got it used and I think it's a version 10 (?) I rarely use it and I'm not very tech-savvy (clearly 😅)

Oh gosh I don't know, are the older versions still available? It's not that old, it's a MacBook. I got it used and I think it's a version 10 (?) I rarely use it and I'm not very tech-savvy (clearly

Someone more informed than I can tell you. I am intentionally not up to date.

But you might already have it on your computer. You might not be able to see it. The person you bought the computer from may not have used Garage Band and removed it (or never added it) to the Dock (menu of applications). At one time Garage Band was installed on all MACs. I don't know when that stopped. Look in your Applications folder. You might get lucky.

Hello🌸

I want to experiment with a DAW and heard Garage band is super easy and fun but I have an android . The apk sites show warnings when I try to download it. Has anyone downloaded garageband on an Android?
Or have other DAW recommendations?

Thank you 🌸
Hi ... I'm a little late to the conversation, so please forgive if there's some repetition.

I'm taking a slightly different angle of-a-suggestion. GarageBand is a really really robust recording and music development application. So many applications supporting nearly every instrument imaginable! (Well, mostly!) And the newest iteration has so much more than what was available (to work with) than your older MacBook.

So, I'm suggesting upgrading your capabilities and purchasing a new or refurbished iPad (standard, not Air nor Pro). The latest (Generation 10) version with the base configuration (64GB) has been routinely selling at about $50+ off via Amazon, Best Buy, Adorama, B&H, and coming in at $295-ish. With all the included (free) applications, bright screen, pencil capable, keyboard available, AND Garage Band included, it might serve you well musically and beyond. If you go searching for price and availability, be sure to look for the 10th Gen distinction. You might save a few more $$ by looking for refurbished, but be cautioned-not all are authorized Apple refurbishers.

I have experience with GarageBand on multiple generations of iMac's and iPads. With the iPad, having the option to use "touch" and tap to navigate through the various features is much less cumbersome than using a mouse or typing.

Just an idea to consider.

Someone more informed than I can tell you. I am intentionally not up to date.

But you might already have it on your computer. You might not be able to see it. The person you bought the computer from may not have used Garage Band and removed it (or never added it) to the Dock (menu of applications). At one time Garage Band was installed on all MACs. I don't know when that stopped. Look in your Applications folder. You might get lucky.
I checked and it's not there.. that's ok I can use my iPad or another DAW. Thank you for your help 😊🌸

Hi ... I'm a little late to the conversation, so please forgive if there's some repetition.

I'm taking a slightly different angle of-a-suggestion. GarageBand is a really really robust recording and music development application. So many applications supporting nearly every instrument imaginable! (Well, mostly!) And the newest iteration has so much more than what was available (to work with) than your older MacBook.

So, I'm suggesting upgrading your capabilities and purchasing a new or refurbished iPad (standard, not Air nor Pro). The latest (Generation 10) version with the base configuration (64GB) has been routinely selling at about $50+ off via Amazon, Best Buy, Adorama, B&H, and coming in at $295-ish. With all the included (free) applications, bright screen, pencil capable, keyboard available, AND Garage Band included, it might serve you well musically and beyond. If you go searching for price and availability, be sure to look for the 10th Gen distinction. You might save a few more $$ by looking for refurbished, but be cautioned-not all are authorized Apple refurbishers.

I have experience with GarageBand on multiple generations of iMac's and iPads. With the iPad, having the option to use "touch" and tap to navigate through the various features is much less cumbersome than using a mouse or typing.

Just an idea to consider.
Oh that's funny, I actually have an iPad (5th generation, 64 GB) that I use exclusively for art (procreate), mostly because the battery runs out so fast, even when it's plugged in.

I hadn't considered using it for Garage band, but I've got it installed now🥳🥳🥳

Now to learn what the heck to do with it 😆 This will be fun. Thank you for the suggestion.

I actually have an iPad (5th generation, 64 GB)
Now to learn what the heck to do with it 😆 This will be fun. Thank you for the suggestion.
Delighted : -)
"Learning" GarageBand is a rabbit hole of earthly proportion!
Some diligence using the 'search' feature of YouTube (Learn Basic Garage Band) may help get you started. (Particularly because you're using a 5th generation version of the App, as well)

Here's a link to the Apple Support Page for GarageBand containing links for iPhone and iPad as well as the general User guide. Most helpful is the Table of Contents' links. That's helpful in navigating through hundreds of options, settings, blah blah blah.

Bear in mind that link/document is for current versions (v. 10.4.11 as of June 15, 2024) of the Application. Your older version may not have all the newer stuff, and the manual references may be in different contexts.

Last edited:
Delighted : -)
"Learning" GarageBand is a rabbit hole of earthly proportion!
Rabbit holes are my comfort zone 😆 I literally have 5 rabbits running around my house 🐰🐰🐰🐰🐰 they seem to like listening to my outlandish musical antics🤷‍♀️ we're all in this together for better or worse

Some diligence using the 'search' feature of YouTube (Learn Basic Garage Band) may help get you started. (Particularly because you're using a 5th generation version of the App, as well)

Here's a link to the Apple Support Page for GarageBand containing links for iPhone and iPad as well as the general User guide. Most helpful is the Table of Contents' links. That's helpful in navigating through hundreds of options, settings, blah blah blah.

Bear in mind that link/document is for current versions (v. 10.4.11 as of June 15, 2024) of the Application. Your older version may not have all the newer stuff, and the manual references may be in different contexts.
This link is great, thank you. So far it seems to be congruent with what I'm seeing so I should be able to get started at least and then upgrade if I have to once I figure out the basics. Amazing that it's free. What a great program.

Do you happen to know anything about apps that you can record a few separate clips of yourself playing the same song and then put them all together on one screen so theres like 4 of you? Idk what thats called but it looks super fun.

Thanks again for your help 😊

Do you happen to know anything about apps that you can record a few separate clips of yourself playing the same song and then put them all together on one screen so theres like 4 of you? Idk what thats called but it looks super fun.

Thanks again for your help 😊
Five bunnies... wow... must keep you hopping! Requires lots of espresso to keep up, I'll bet! :coffee::oops:

Anyhow, I don't know of any apps that would do what you'd like. Not that there aren't any....I just haven't had the need, so never went looking!

FWIW, take a look at the GarageBand Table of Contents again. As I recall, you can choose a backup track to play with and, when you record your own with it, you create a second track. Seems to me you could simply play those two "new" tracks and record a third track on top of them. Again, never had the need to try, so just speculating. ( aka : M.A.S => "Male Answer Syndrome" applied )

Stu

Five bunnies... wow... must keep you hopping! Requires lots of espresso to keep up, I'll bet! :coffee::oops:
Yes they most certainly add a lot of hoppiness to the house 😆 I didn't intend any of it and have since implemented a ban of myself being within 10 meters of any animal rescue shelter.
Anyhow, I don't know of any apps that would do what you'd like. Not that there aren't any....I just haven't had the need, so never went looking!

FWIW, take a look at the GarageBand Table of Contents again. As I recall, you can choose a backup track to play with and, when you record your own with it, you create a second track. Seems to me you could simply play those two "new" tracks and record a third track on top of them. Again, never had the need to try, so just speculating. ( aka : M.A.S => "Male Answer Syndrome" applied )

Stu
Haha MAS that's better than mansplaining 😆 it does look like it should be pretty basic to mix it all together in garage band. I thought it would be fun to do it with an app that supports video too. I think my bunnies would be cute props while adding some of their rhythmic munching sounds to the beat 🐰 🎶

Do you happen to know anything about apps that you can record a few separate clips of yourself playing the same song and then put them all together on one screen so theres like 4 of you? Idk what thats called but it looks super fun

I think the most popular app for that is called "acapella". For doing it all on a phone or tablet, using just one app. I never tried it myself, but have seen some awesome stuff made with it appear on YouTube.

Other than that, you can record the audio in any DAW and edit the videos in many video editors. This would usually require a workflow involving more than one app. Reaper has video editing capabilities on top of audio recording, so I have made a few all in Reaper. Not with 4 tiled videos, though Reaper supports that, but with two videos with the same background split down the middle, so it looks like two of me in the same room. That is fun 😆.
Edit: I did use a separate device for capturing the video, I only edited it in Reaper.

I dont know about GarageBands capabilities, or Macs build in video editing apps capabilities, since I never had a Mac. But perhaps those will also get you there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom