GDAE mandolin tuning for a Baritone

helios suner

Reaction score
Hi
I'm using a baritone uke stringed like a mandoline, but an octave lower
My actual stringset is a wounded G, an unwound D (Aquila U74 red series no more available) and nylon A and E strings
Even if I can pick the DAE strings from a lowD bariton unwound set like Worth Brown's, it seems harder to grasp an unwounded 98Hz G (one octave lower from the mandolin G)

Any suggestions from your experience welcome
Cheers

Sounds like you have built a nylon stringed tenor guitar in "Irish" tuning. I'd post this same question on both Banjo hangout (in the 4-string Irish Traditional section) and Mandolin Cafe (in the tenor guitar section). There are far more knowledge folks out there than me regarding strings.

That said, I'm wondering if you're pushing the edge of what is going to work from a lower string on a relatively short scale length. If you're doing mostly chords rather than single note, you might consider doing the "lowest" string an an octave up in a re-entrant tuning? Or standard tenor guitar tuning (CGDA in the viola octave).

Sounds like you have built a nylon stringed tenor guitar in "Irish" tuning. I'd post this same question on both Banjo hangout (in the 4-string Irish Traditional section) and Mandolin Cafe (in the tenor guitar section). There are far more knowledge folks out there than me regarding strings.

That said, I'm wondering if you're pushing the edge of what is going to work from a lower string on a relatively short scale length. If you're doing mostly chords rather than single note, you might consider doing the "lowest" string an an octave up in a re-entrant tuning? Or standard tenor guitar tuning (CGDA in the viola octave).
Hi
Nice to send this post to the 2 described hangouts. I'm using lots of instruments in fifths like mandoline, and many modified ukes, banjoleles, dobroleles all tuned in GDAE
I'm also using an octave below tenor guitars in GDAE, and my interest about having a baritone in GDAE is to have an alternative to tenor guitars with nylon strings, and avoid to shift to CGDA, just pick a different instrument and still have the same fretboard map under the fingers and in mental remembering of notes positions
I know that have an unwound nylon low G on a short scale instrument can be tough, but it's worth trying
I've ordered a d'Addario NYL040 rectified nylon plain string, and gonna have a try
I'll send a post here to tell how it works
Thanks to send the links on this topic on Banjo Hangout and Mandoline Café so I can read the posts 👌🏻

I don't think you're going to get an unwound string to work for the G2 string. D3 unwound barely works. A wound string works quite well, like the Thomastik Infeld CF45

whether you want that thick D string in the middle is a question of preference but you wouldn't go wrong with the CF35 for that

I don't think you're going to get an unwound string to work for the G2 string. D3 unwound barely works. A wound string works quite well, like the Thomastik Infeld CF45

whether you want that thick D string in the middle is a question of preference but you wouldn't go wrong with the CF35 for that
I've already tried d'Addario flat wound jazz strings, and put it out on the fly, because of the chrome steel sound that is not at all what I'm looking for. I already own tenor guitars, and would like to set my baritone uke with nylon strings
I will come back to post comments about my experience asap I receive the string and have a try

I've already tried d'Addario flat wound jazz strings, and put it out on the fly, because of the chrome steel sound that is not at all what I'm looking for. I already own tenor guitars, and would like to set my baritone uke with nylon strings
I will come back to post comments about my experience asap I receive the string and have a try
I'm not familiar with the d'Addario flat wound jazz strings, but it looks like that is a steel core string. If so, that would have a good chance of damaging an acoustic baritone uke designed for nylon. The T-I strings have a nylon core and and perfectly safe for ukes. Here's a sample of what it sounds like:

note that this is a 6-string so goes a little higher (G4) than your setup (E4)

I use the top two of the original strings, just tune the second string down a tone, the bass strings are the bass two from a set of nylon guitar strings … works fine for me ;)

I use the top two of the original strings, just tune the second string down a tone, the bass strings are the bass two from a set of nylon guitar strings … works fine for me ;)
Yes, that's basically what I was suggesting. Any bottom two guitar strings will work. I like the "squeak less" T-I strings but use whatever you like

Finally received a Worth brown bariton set and a CF127 flatwound Thomastik Infeld set
I'm using the CF45 string (classical low E) for the G
Worth D string for D, Worth G string for A, and Worth E string for E
I could have proceeded with a complete Thomastik Infeld strings setup, but I like the light tension of the Worth Brown compared to the T-I that allows me, playing fingerstyle, to bend strings easily to make vibratos
The sound of the CF45 and the Worth brown match pretty well

I used these Clifford Essex Strings Light Gauge GDAE Tenor Guitar Strings, what I do is I add a Tailpiece to help keep the bridge from ripping off.1694800340499.jpeg

1694800524626.jpegFor a Jazz tone I use these Chrome Tape Flatwound GDAE Tuned Tenor Strings.

Top Bottom