Get your musical science thrill for the day!

Gee are you smart! I had to read it three times to understand it.

Long story short, our hearing comes from different factories ?.. :cool:

Whichever way I hear it, my wife will hear it exactly the opposite.
Four years later, I will have forgotten the auditory test entirely and she will remind me of my wrong answer, what date it happened, and the astounding frequency of wrong answers I’ve given before and since.🤣

Very cool. I found this example of the paradox on YouTube

If you know it’s a paradox and listen to it again, you can make the tones change direction. Fun stuff!

Whichever way I hear it, my wife will hear it exactly the opposite.
Four years later, I will have forgotten the auditory test entirely and she will remind me of my wrong answer, what date it happened, and the astounding frequency of wrong answers I’ve given before and since.🤣
Selective memory? 😊

Very cool. I found this example of the paradox on YouTube

If you know it’s a paradox and listen to it again, you can make the tones change direction. Fun stuff!

Thank you. That was fun to do.

Since each Shepard tone contains a series of octaves, could it be that our ear/mind is simply "picking and remembering" one of the many octaves available in each of the tones and hearing the interval as going up or down depending on which of the octaves we picked for each tone?

I can think of an example that, depending on the results of experiments, could prove that possible hypothesis, but I'd still like to hear other peoples ideas about it.

Top Bottom