Gig bags you like for protecting your instrument

I have a secure feeling Kala USA labeled case that came with a UU used purchase. It feels middling crush resistant. More structure than my soft Romero bag (not styrofoam).

The uke crazy styrofoam Romero branded case i have feels no better than a hard case for travel.

I generally like the Roadrunner Gator bag I bought, but the large area over the body feels insufficiently crush-resistant.

Last edited:
I just use Roadrunner bags or similar. My ukes rarely leave the house. When I travel I take my Alic plastic uke so I really don’t need any heavy duty bag for her.

I have had a Fusion gig bag for about 6 years and it is in the same high quality league as a Mono. I bought it to use for travelling on train, plane, boat, car etc. It has carried my Koolah on far away vacation trips through airports and works a charm. Very comfort to carry backpack style with good sized pockets

20171001_115004.jpg20171001_115047.jpg20171001_115120.jpg

Last edited:
I use this Mono bag for tenor and it’s never done me wrong! I use their stuff for my basses and pedalboards as well. Super sturdy and easy.

If I'm just tooling around in town, I don't mind a gig bag - I use a Kala Transit. But if I'm flying, I want a hard sided case. In a bind I've used a gig bag and flown, but that's not my first choice. And I usually will look at the size of the aircraft before deciding if I'm taking a tenor or bari. Some of the commuter planes have really small overheads. I'm often the last on the plane as I fly stand-by fairly often.....so space can be limited, hence my decision to not fly with gig bags.

I guess each of us have different needs/preferences.

I recently saw a good deal on the Kala transit soprano bag. It is extremely well made and fairly rigid due to still plastic in the body of the case. It seems as if it could be used in lots of situations unless it would be subject to abuse or tight storage (as mentioned above)

Unfortunately I will be returning it. It is very tight due to thick padding. It seems to put a lot of pressure on the top and back of the uke. It is extremely tight to where I would be really nervous about damaging the instrument.

Perhaps the other size cases fit those sizes better

I can 2nd the recommendation for the Journey Instruments gig bags. They have a bunch of features like a fusion bag or something high end but often are on sale. Like Concert and Soprano cases are now on the big river site.

The Kala Sonoma Coast is excellent.

One thing that people often forget is that while hard cases are good for preventing crushing impact, they are terrible for shock impact (like a large drop). This is where a good gig bag can actually be more secure, because it is lighter and doesn't have a rigid shell that transmits the shock impact.

The Oahu cases look pretty nice. They have a few different levels. They are also pretty reasonably priced

I'd been thinking about picking up a new gig bag, but in the end decided to order a Gator Journeyman hard case. Decent product and, importantly, I knew that it would be an excellent fit for anything modelled on a traditional Martin soprano, rather than oversized like many modern bags and cases.

Arrived yesterday… or rather, two of them arrived. Clearly the retailer had received stock, flagged up my order and simply stuck a shipping label on without opening the box, so they missed that it was a box of two units. I called to explain what happened so they could get the extra case back (after confirming that I had not been charged twice) and was told that they couldn't arrange a courier, so I should "keep it or bin it" 😮

It's not a cheap item and it feels entirely wrong that the system is set up so that writing it off makes more sense than retrieving it. Still, it so happens that I do have more than one instrument of that size…

Last edited:
I'd been thinking about picking up a new gig bag, but in the end decided to order a Gator Journeyman hard case. Decent product and, importantly, I knew that it would be an excellent fit for anything modelled on a traditional Martin soprano, rather than oversized like many modern bags and cases.
Great case! I had one that I sold with an instrument and kind of regret selling, although I have the Gator black cases that work great. I agree with your take on the size of many cases out there.

I had trouble finding a good bag that my super baritone with oversized lower bout would fit in. Having discovered the secret inside zipper on a tenor Transit bag, I bought a baritone Transit and replaced the thick padding around the lower bout with a thinner strip cut from a yoga mat (shh, don't tell my wife). I would have had to do major surgery without the zipper, or lugged a hard case to the weekly uke gathering.
That's pretty smart. I'm curious - with the reduced padding, what's the maximum length and lower bout width that bariton Transit could accommodate?

My Kimo super baritone is 11" wide at the lower bout, and the Transit bag is maxed out there with the thinner padding. The Transit would fit a 32" long instrument.

Top Bottom