Ginsenglele #2

Ahnko Honu

Reaction score
Aloha folks. Just wanted to share my latest creation I made from a Korean ginseng tea box. This is actually my second "ginsenglele" the first was made from a 50 count box, so more a travel 'uke size, but this second one I made from a 100 pack box so double the width. I kept it a soprano length neck because I had one handy, but I kind of wish I went concert length just to be different. Last year I made a tenor 'ukulele from a Arita porcelain tea set box that used to be my mom's. Anyways, here it is below. ;)🤙 A hui hou!

Attachments

• 20211231_172449.jpg
    20211231_172449.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 20211231_172520.jpg
    20211231_172520.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 20211231_172657.jpg
    20211231_172657.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20200817_183352049_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    IMG_20200817_183352049_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 2021-08-31.jpg
    2021-08-31.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 32
Very nice work, I assume it sounds good too! Not having tea boxes here in California that I know of, wooden cigar boxes are a popular choice.

What does the bracing and neck/end blocks look like?

What does the bracing and neck/end blocks look like?
The bracing wood I get for free at my local hardware store, they're the wooden paint stir sticks. Always straight grain and light weight, they are excellent. I usually rip into 4 equal width, then cut to length making sure to taper the ends. I usually brace just the top (sound board). I believe I have 4 spaced evenly running the width of the top, and an 1/8" shy of the sides. I put the sound hole in the side so no worries about a brace being in the way of a hole cut. The end block for the neck I cut from a piece of ! x 4 mahogany I had left over from a project. I left it 3/4" thick, and cut it the full width, and height of the neck end of the box. Glued and clamped it overnight making sure to remove any excess glue with a damp paper towel while glue still wet. I used Tite-Bond carpenter's Glue, but any water base wood glue should be fine. I use wood glue for everything except the nut where I use medium cyanoacrylate (Crazy) glue. I wish I took photos during the build process, but I believe it's basically the same with a cigar box build with plenty info available on them.

Here's a couple photos I took using my phone, not the best camera for details. Photo 01 you can see the end block for the neck, and some sound oard bracing, and on photo 02 you can see a couple more sound board braces. I hope that helps.

Attachments

• Bracing 01.jpg
    Bracing 01.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Bracing 02.jpg
    Bracing 02.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Thanks for the link to Amazon, that's good to know. Judging by your photos, it looks like the soundboard is about1/8th" thick. Does it produce a good sound? Also, the size of the neck block seems like overkill to me, just my observations, not having built one!

Also, the size of the neck block seems like overkill to me, just my observations, not having built one!
Thank you for your opinion. Neck block size is fine since it has no negative impact on sound quality, and negligible weight gain. I would gain nothing real by reducing thickness from 3/4" to 1/2". The box walls are on thin side so better to err on the side of strength. On my "Aritalele" I used a smaller block because the finger jointed box walls were thicker. The block was still 3/4" thick but shorter, and mitered 45 degrees on the ends. (y)

Last edited:
Thank you for your opinion. Neck block size is fine since it has no negative impact on sound quality, and negligible weight gain. I would gain nothing real by reducing thickness from 3/4" to 1/2". The box walls are on thin side so better to err on the side of strength. On my "Aritalele" I used a smaller block because the finger jointed box walls were thicker. The block was still 3/4" thick but shorter, and mitered 45 degrees on the ends. (y)
Your reasoning makes sense, since the thickness has no effect on the sound.

Top Bottom