Going on up- I'm looking at tenors in the Anuenue moonbird quality and price region. Mass market or consider luthier built?

Eggs_n_Ham

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
This would be a huge purchase for me so I'll be thinking long and hard about this one and would love some guidance, opinions ans recommendations from you all.
TYIA

Isn't it spelled aNueNue? I've been very happy with the custom ukes Bruce Wei Arts has made me. Here is the most recent for $885 including express shipping; thinline tenor cutaway, glossy all solid acacia koa arch back with curly maple binding, curly maple fretboard with acacia koa binding, acacia koa fret inlays. About a three month build time.

BWA thin acacia koa.jpg

I played the MoonBird and a Pono Master Series spruce/mahogany side by side for the better part of an hour at the Hawaii Music Store last summer, and wrote about the experience at embarrassing length here, here, and (perhaps especially) here. Bottom line: I preferred the Pono in every way, and came in at $600 under the MoonBird.

Talk about mileage varying, though! First, you HAVE to be playing the 2022-23 vintage Master Series of the Pono with the lattice bracing to have any basis for comparison. Second, I didn't compare koa to koa, and the KoaBird looks insane. That said, it's more like $1000 or more north of the Pono price at that point. But I'd be willing to bet you that comparing to cedar to cedar rather than spruce to spruce, I'd still take the Pono...but only the lattice-braced Master Series.

No disrespect to the much-loved Ponos of earlier generations and lower price points, which all punch above their weight relative to their peers....but as far as peers to the MoonBird, this is where we're at.

I'll be happy to answer any questions that I didn't cover on those three crazy long posts linked above...but in the end, I can't imagine anybody actually regretting buying an Anuenue at any price. But you asked for alternatives, and here's one. 😁

There are a lot of nice ukes in that price range. It's hard to decide on one especially when you can't try them all out. I think the Cedarbird sounds a little better to me but the Moonbird does sound really nice.

I love my 2 Ponos and my 2 Bruce Wei ukes... and I've never paid more than $500 for any of them!

Both excellent values that stand up to any except the +1000 offerings...

So the Ks and the Moon Bird tenors are in the $1500+ price range. All are good to great... IF you like the way they feel and play and sound. And each of these four (not to mention others) are quite different and the answer to your question lies in your preferences. Makes it tough if you have not played them and cannot do so. And it is even tougher when considering luthier custom builds.

If you cannot play them, then you have to go the video (especially HMS/TUS) route and inquire as you do. It does you little good to tell you that I like KoAloha of the three Ks. It is more useful to know that I like the brighter sound and tone and that I play chord melody and not strum and sing.

One method of trial and error is to buy used here. If you like it, you saved a few hundred. If not, you can resell with a total "loss" of zero to a couple hundred. For example, a member just posted a Kinnard tenor on consignment at Gryphon Strings that I would consider strongly (if I were in the tenor market). Same with the Moon Birds and the Ks. Keep an eye out for used deals while you are researching this.

So you might give us an idea of what music you play and how you play it (strum, fingerstyle...). You might also let us know what you currently play and what your thoughts are for what you are looking for.

Are you partial to a particular wood in a ukulele? Do you know what nut/neck width you prefer?

Isn't it spelled aNueNue? I've been very happy with the custom ukes Bruce Wei Arts has made me. Here is the most recent for $885 including express shipping; thinline tenor cutaway, glossy all solid acacia koa arch back with curly maple binding, curly maple fretboard with acacia koa binding, acacia koa fret inlays. About a three month build time.

View attachment 147917
Yes you are correct "anuenue" means rainbow in Hawaiian, maybe the capitalized N connotes where accents are when the word is spoken. Thank you for reminding me! That's a beautiful uke!

Are you partial to a particular wood in a ukulele? Do you know what nut/neck width you prefer?
Well, currently my favorite ukulele is the AMM3 which is african mahogany and is sonically loud and warm, delightful to my ear. I can't really say I have a favorite tonewood; my hands are small and a nut width max of 37mm is just about my limit. A radiused fretboard is a distinct preference for me.

p.s: Love the b/w videos and you have a great singing voice!

Last edited:
I'd also recommend reaching out to Hank at Kimo Ukes - you can get a custom for about the same price.
Wooh, I just checked the website and watched a TUS video of a custom being played- beautiful but may be more than I'm willing to spend just yet- but never say never!

So the Ks and the Moon Bird tenors are in the $1500+ price range. All are good to great... IF you like the way they feel and play and sound. And each of these four (not to mention others) are quite different and the answer to your question lies in your preferences. Makes it tough if you have not played them and cannot do so. And it is even tougher when considering luthier custom builds.

If you cannot play them, then you have to go the video (especially HMS/TUS) route and inquire as you do. It does you little good to tell you that I like KoAloha of the three Ks. It is more useful to know that I like the brighter sound and tone and that I play chord melody and not strum and sing.

One method of trial and error is to buy used here. If you like it, you saved a few hundred. If not, you can resell with a total "loss" of zero to a couple hundred. For example, a member just posted a Kinnard tenor on consignment at Gryphon Strings that I would consider strongly (if I were in the tenor market). Same with the Moon Birds and the Ks. Keep an eye out for used deals while you are researching this.

So you might give us an idea of what music you play and how you play it (strum, fingerstyle...). You might also let us know what you currently play and what your thoughts are for what you are looking for.
Great post with tons of stuff I need to consider. Thank you. Unfortunately I have to rely on videos. I've only been playing ukulele for less than a year and I'm the typical "I want a good one if I'm going to learn it and enjoy it" person. Tonally I prefer the lower end; a tenor or concert strung in low g with both high and low ends vibrating the soundboard. I play everyday and keep a ukulele near by to play whenever. I love fingerstyle and my long term goal is approaching classical, albeit my favorite song to play at the moment is "I've been working on the railroad".
Bling and glitz doesn't impress me but visual appeal has some value overall; that's what makes one want to pick up and instrument.
This forum is priceless for uke information and helps to offset that "I must have it" impression. If someone puts up an aNueNue cedarbird in the marketplace I will seriously consider...or one of the newer Singer tenors...or...

I played the MoonBird and a Pono Master Series spruce/mahogany side by side for the better part of an hour at the Hawaii Music Store last summer, and wrote about the experience at embarrassing length here, here, and (perhaps especially) here. Bottom line: I preferred the Pono in every way, and came in at $600 under the MoonBird.

Talk about mileage varying, though! First, you HAVE to be playing the 2022-23 vintage Master Series of the Pono with the lattice bracing to have any basis for comparison. Second, I didn't compare koa to koa, and the KoaBird looks insane. That said, it's more like $1000 or more north of the Pono price at that point. But I'd be willing to bet you that comparing to cedar to cedar rather than spruce to spruce, I'd still take the Pono...but only the lattice-braced Master Series.

No disrespect to the much-loved Ponos of earlier generations and lower price points, which all punch above their weight relative to their peers....but as far as peers to the MoonBird, this is where we're at.

I'll be happy to answer any questions that I didn't cover on those three crazy long posts linked above...but in the end, I can't imagine anybody actually regretting buying an Anuenue at any price. But you asked for alternatives, and here's one. 😁
Thank you for this! I went through your post(s) last night and this is the type of information that is so helpful to people such as myself that are unable to try out a ukulele in real time/in person. I couldn't find a Pono master series anywhere but did watch a video of one being played and yeah, right up my sonic street. I have small hands so that's a big consideration for me so a Pono may not be ideal for me.
cheers!

I have small hands so that's a big consideration for me so a Pono may not be ideal for me.

I don't know about that. I've never found much of a correlation between hand size and comfort on an instrument. Mileage varies for sure, but, using another instrument as an example, there may not be many adult humans with smaller hands than Elton John, but he's come up with a way of playing a piano with such confidence that nobody is thinking about how tiny his hands are.

I'm glad that you appreciated my posts, but I do hope that you checked out @bazmaz's video, too. The whole "this thing wants to play itself" dynamic is true. It really did feel kinda like stepping onto a moving sidewalk, relatively speaking. That sort of thing definitely factors into comfort and playability.

Not that I'd suggest that fit doesn't matter and that anyone can play anything of any size if they just want to enough. Fit matters, but something that plays well will tend to feel like a better fit...assuming that the geometry can work at all. :) Sometimes you just have try 'em out.

I know that finding these things in person is tough in most places (I've lived verrrrry few places with a well-stocked music store within several hours drive), so I'd point you to Hawaii Music Store/The Ukulele Site as one dealer that is very comfortable working with people on the phone pre-sales to do their best to help you AND work with you on returns. It happens that they're the exclusive reseller of the Pono Master Series, but I'd recommend 'em for anything.

I also know that they're not the only dealer who'll work with you knowing that you're going to be trying an ukulele or two on for size before landing on one. It's the nature of the business these days. Don't be shy about getting on the phone, and be upfront with who you're talking to about where you are in the process. That will also help you sort through the kinds of people you're dealing with in mighty short order. :)

I know that finding these things in person is tough in most places (I've lived verrrrry few places with a well-stocked music store within several hours drive), so I'd point you to Hawaii Music Store/The Ukulele Site as one dealer that is very comfortable working with people on the phone pre-sales to do their best to help you AND work with you on returns. It happens that they're the exclusive reseller of the Pono Master Series, but I'd recommend 'em for anything.
I recall when they listed these eight Pono Master Series ukuleles. They describe how they saved the wood for "something special" and the eight sold quite quickly. What is less clear is whether this was a one time situation or if more will be forthcoming. If interested, contacting them directly would be recommended to avoid wishing and hoping for something that might not happen.

Not sure, Tim, where you got the $600 under the MB price (maybe the UT3 or UT5, which are their higher grade of koa?). The Moon Birds and Cedar Birds are about $500 less than the Pono Masters.

Here is a link to the Pono Master Series:

I don't know about that. I've never found much of a correlation between hand size and comfort on an instrument. Mileage varies for sure, but, using another instrument as an example, there may not be many adult humans with smaller hands than Elton John, but he's come up with a way of playing a piano with such confidence that nobody is thinking about how tiny his hands are.

I'm glad that you appreciated my posts, but I do hope that you checked out @bazmaz's video, too. The whole "this thing wants to play itself" dynamic is true. It really did feel kinda like stepping onto a moving sidewalk, relatively speaking. That sort of thing definitely factors into comfort and playability.

Not that I'd suggest that fit doesn't matter and that anyone can play anything of any size if they just want to enough. Fit matters, but something that plays well will tend to feel like a better fit...assuming that the geometry can work at all. :) Sometimes you just have try 'em out.

I also know that they're not the only dealer who'll work with you knowing that you're going to be trying an ukulele or two on for size before landing on one. It's the nature of the business these days. Don't be shy about getting on the phone, and be upfront with who you're talking to about where you are in the process. That will also help you sort through the kinds of people you're dealing with in mighty short order. :)
Allways nice (and helpfull) to watch the “got a ukulele” reviews!

Top Bottom