Gotoh UPT (L) - any place to get these in bulk?

I might be wrong Ken, but I’m pretty sure the Leader Banjo tuners are rebranded DerJung
Derjung …I’ve used them a few times, I found them to be ok.

I’ve heard and read the same many times. Classical guitar builders speak highly of them too.
I was going to buy these black ones for a bog oak concert I’m working on, but the price combined with postage and possibly taxes I thought would be about £50-£55
SUS had the UPT for £65, and once I saw a side by side photo on here recently realised they are smaller enough to warrant based on the narrowish headstock I’m working with.

I’m sure I’ll be trying them soon enough though

Of interest to some perhaps, this was the only place (Uk/EU) I could find the all black version (optional buttons at checkout)

Thanks for this. I just ordered a set and that process was quick and painless. Just over $20 delivered to the US - hard to go wrong. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks for this. I just ordered a set and that process was quick and painless. Just over $20 delivered to the US - hard to go wrong. I'll let everyone know how it goes.
how do you know which button you get? and are you sure that price is for a set of 4 and not just 1 tuner?

how do you know which button you get? and are you sure that price is for a set of 4 and not just 1 tuner?
That's an excellent question. I don't speak Deutch (took a semester in college and learned "flunkenzietesten") and it's kind of tough to puzzle out. So I figure I will find out when the package arrives. That said, with the way my luck frequently goes, it'll be for one piece. And then I'll need to order three more.

Button? I liked the BX so I got that.

I think you ordered ONE... see post #62

me I like the BI buttons, too pricey to order just those though (I already have a silver set with plain black buttons). I am thinking that since Der jung looks to the make Koaloha friction tuners, these buttons could be interchangeable...will need to investigate with my Opio.

Last edited:
Did you realise the price is per tuner, not a set of 4?
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news
It may not be too late to amend to get 4 or cancel , it is past working hours in Europe and wouldn’t get packaged till tomorrow I’d imagine
I’ve had email contact with him, very helpful

If you go through the photos it gives you all the button options, with a different code for each
A note with order or an email would do it.
I asked if I could order multiple button options with a single set and was told that wasn’t a problem, so could have a choice to switch and change

It may not be too late to amend to get 4 or cancel , it is past working hours in Europe and wouldn’t get packaged till tomorrow I’d imagine
A lot of the other sets are priced per set, so it can get a little confusing if you’re not paying attention

That certainly explains a lot about the pricing. If they're $20 per - they're actually more expensive than what it would cost me to buy a set of Gotohs. Interesting business model.

they were recently $30 shipped on aliex and are typically about $35 plus shipping the 'bay, for a set of 4... don't know if they sell direct to consumers.

watch out for the DJ328 banjo tuners... those seem to be made for thicker (than ukulele) headstocks and are a little longer overall as well

That certainly explains a lot about the pricing. If they're $20 per - they're actually more expensive than what it would cost me to buy a set of Gotohs. Interesting business model.
That included the shipping though I think?
A little over $15 each plus $5 shipping, Maybe $65 all in?
It’s still more than other places, it was just so far the only place I’d seen the black ones.
I think, but may be wrong, they’re a relatively new addition to their product line so hopefully will become more widespread

Reactions: Kei
That included the shipping though I think?
A little over $15 each plus $5 shipping, Maybe $65 all in?
That sounds about right. But there is a vendor selling the various Gotohs for about that same price and they are located in the US which makes it easier on that end of things. Add to that the familiarity of Gotoh and it seems like an easy choice.

gotohs are a little smaller as well, somewhere on these pages someone showed a picture of the two fairly recently

Fitting the derjungs should be easier, just a 9.5-10mm hole straight through (like many closed gear tuners, perhaps even a drop-in installation). To me, it doesn't look like a tapered or stepped hole is absolutely necessary on the the gotohs, although I can see why everyone does it (reduced amount of wood removed).

I once took the DerJung tuners off my Millar and found that they made a tapered hole in the headstock to fit them. The wide base, anti rotation pin along with the threaded nut and flat washer on the top keep them locked in place.

Worth pointing out though that a couple of the button options are a fair bit smaller than the photo shown and might make a reasonable difference
The body protrusion is still somewhat larger though

Top Bottom