Greetings from Jacksonville FL

kefaragon

Reaction score
Hello everyone, My name is Tom. I'm a long time Mandolin player with a little claw-hammer banjo thrown in for good measure. I picked up the ukulele about 2 years ago and it has now become my main instrument. The primary reason (besides the fact I love it) is its the one instrument my children love for me to play. Usually, when I play the mandolin or banjo I'm regulated to the back room, I love bluegrass / old time but the rest of my family doesn't. With the Ukulele my children regularly request me to break it out and play them songs. I've also found the song writing aspect of ukulele playing to be very satisfying. The one pet peave I do have is people that treat the ukulele like a joke. Being a bluegrass / old-time player I've caught a lot of flak from others in regards to the ukulele. They all seem to think ukulele players all wear tie-die shirts and play the same 2 chord songs over and over... Its become one of my missions in life to help show them that the ukulele can be a serious and beautiful instrument. Has anyone else had similar experiences?

Has anyone else had similar experiences?
Yup. Me. I was the offender.

I used to think the ukulele was a toy, because that was all I had ever been exposed to. Then a friend, who plays cello, recommended that I should try, it was fun. I did try, and discovered that it's a toy only if you treat it like a toy. It's a beautiful, versatile instrument if you treat it that way. I am consistently blown away by the incredible variety of music played on the ukulele that this forum regularly introduces me to.

I think the world would be a better place if everyone had the opportunity to learn to play the ukulele.

Welcome to the forum, and we love mandolins and banjos here too! Lots of other instruments played here, but the ukulele is the one we all share.

I picked up the ukulele about 2 years ago and it has now become my main instrument.
That’s a common refrain here on UU.
… people that treat the ukulele like a joke. ... Its become one of my missions in life to help show them that the ukulele can be a serious and beautiful instrument
And so is that!

You’ve come to the right place, @kefaragon. Welcome from Sarasota.

Welcome to UU, Tom!
Yes, the uke is superior in certain cases. Enjoy all your instruments, but maybe your family will eventually get curious enough to try uke themselves (and perhaps even try mandolin/banjo too?).

Hi Tom, welcome to the UU Forum. You are an experienced string player. I'm glad your family can relate to your Uke playing and enjoy listening to your songs. It's no fun being banished to the back room... ;)

... It's become one of my missions in life to help show them that the ukulele can be a serious and beautiful instrument.
Welcome to the battle. It's always good to have another soldier in the fight against ukulele ignorance.

Jim

Top Bottom