Strings Growing buzzing out of nowhere?

BiosphereDecay

Island Punk Rock
UU VIP
Reaction score
I put low G Fremont blacklines on my concert, and it sounded perfect for a week or so, then in the middle of playing, I noticed the C producing a very faint humming/buzzing. It's steadily growing, and now the G is doing it too. It's only while the string is actively vibrating, and despite all of my attempts to isolate where the buzzing is coming from, it appears to come directly from the point at which I pluck the string. The buzzing is also directly correlated with how hard I pluck the string.

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/threads/buzzing-on-string-instruments-causes-and-cures.10546/ From this guide, only 6 and 7 are true, which really didn't help pin it down much at all.

If you pluck the string at different points, does the buzzing still come from the point where you pluck? I'm guessing that something is loose and you need to use your ear to figure out what that is. Different ukuleles will have different things that can be loose.

did you replace something thicker, like aquilas? Try putting a tiny folded scrap - no wider than the nut - of paper under the string in the nut slot and see if it makes a difference..?

Well this is the oddest thing. This is the 2nd time there was considerable buzzing (G and C both times), and both times the buzzing spontaneously went away. I'll be playing more or less all day, so I'll report back after that.

The most obvious possibility to me is that it's because I haven't widened the nut groove for the low G yet, so it's essentially sitting on top of the nut. Could that be related to the C buzzing though?

If you pluck the string at different points, does the buzzing still come from the point where you pluck? I'm guessing that something is loose and you need to use your ear to figure out what that is. Different ukuleles will have different things that can be loose.
It happened where my finger contacted the string, but the closer to the center I pluck, the louder the buzzing.
did you replace something thicker, like aquilas? Try putting a tiny folded scrap - no wider than the nut - of paper under the string in the nut slot and see if it makes a difference..?
They were Enya(I think) fluorocarbon originally. The new C looks like it fits the nut snugly.

Edit: Okay, yeah it's gradually coming back.

Last edited:
I would hold the ukulele up by the headstock in one hand. Then take the other hand, tap around the edge, top and back, to make sure there are no glued places letting go.
Next, are there any loose wires inside, that is, if you have a pickup installed???
Baz of Got A Ukulele also has a YouTube video on correcting buzzes.
Good luck.

I would hold the ukulele up by the headstock in one hand. Then take the other hand, tap around the edge, top and back, to make sure there are no glued places letting go.
Next, are there any loose wires inside, that is, if you have a pickup installed???
Baz of Got A Ukulele also has a YouTube video on correcting buzzes.
Good luck.
There is a pickup inside the sound hole, and the wires are bundled up and sitting firmly in place below it, however the wire leading to the input jack is sitting loose.

I have noticed that what direction the ukulele is oriented affects how strong the buzzing is. With proper posture, the buzzing is minimal. If it's laid flat on its back, it buzzes more, and the more I rotate it toward being upside down, the more it buzzes.

There's been something small loosely rattling around inside since I first got it. I shook it quite a bit while the strings were off, and couldn't feel anything inside when I reached around. Still can't get whatever is rattling around to come out, and honestly have no clue what it is.

Edit: okay this is interesting. Now that I've rotated it around a bunch, the orientation that produced the most buzzing has inverted. Now it buzzes most with proper playing posture, and buzzes least while upside down. (After further fiddling, I found that while the orientation of the instrument makes a big impact on the buzzing, there's no consistency. What orientation produces the most buzzing changes as I play/move it around.)

Edit again: I got the loose thing out. It was a wood shaving. Still the same buzzing issues.

Last edited:
That certainly is aggravating, I know. Keep troubleshooting, I bet you'll find the cause.
Maybe you have a loose tuner??

That certainly is aggravating, I know. Keep troubleshooting, I bet you'll find the cause.
Maybe you have a loose tuner??
Tightened up the tuners and even the buttons, no difference.

The buzzing seems to come directly out of the sound hole.

I feel like I've exhausted literally every possibility, and at this point I have to wonder if I just got bad strings... But it's happening to 2 of them. Do Fremont black lines have a reputation for bad strings or something?

The only other possibility that I know of is that there are loose wires inside. I guess I'll check that next. Shifting the positions of the wires doesn't seem to change anything, although I can barely touch them without taking the strings off.

Freemont Black Lines seem pretty floppy to me. I took em off one of my ukes and tossed em in the bin. Have you put a straight edge on top of the frets to see if one or more is/or high?

I only have a couple of ukes with electronics and they both vibrate and buzz occasionally. there is a little hook glued to the inside of one that supposedly holds all the slack wires, but i can still hear it sometimes.

I have never intentionally bought an acoustic instrument with wires inside, and likely will not ever install electronics in any of my other instruments, partially for this reason.

I do get buzzing from bad left hand technique all the time tho!

So I'm debating between just buying some new strings or trying to fix the slightly loose wires inside. First of all, what solutions would you recommend for internal wires being loose? I could get twisty ties or zip ties to hold them together, or I could glue them, but I'm not really sure what the best option is.

I also want to ask, how likely is it that it's the wires, considering that it's only a single string that buzzes? That makes me think that it's just that one string being faulty. However, changing the physical orientation of the instrument changes how loud to the buzzing is, which makes me think it's the internal wires. I'm really not sure. What do you think?

Changing the physical orientation of the instrument changes how loud to the buzzing is, which makes me think it's the internal wires. I'm really not sure. What do you think?
Just a long shot, but if it happened after you changed the tuners, it could be a loose nut. Been there, done that...
Can you locate it?
Does it happen when you tip the neck down?

Troubleshooting= where was I before it happened?

Just a long shot, but if it happened after you changed the tuners, it could be a loose nut. Been there, done that...
Can you locate it?
Does it happen when you tip the neck down?

Troubleshooting= where was I before it happened?
I only had it for a couple days before I put the new strings on it, so I don't know if it happened with the original strings or not. It did happen before I replaced the tuners. I was hoping that replacing them might fix it, but it clearly didn't. The source of the sound seems to be the sound hole itself, which doesn't really tell me anything about whether it's the string or the wiring as far as I know.

I also didn't notice it for the first several days. Now maybe I just didn't notice it, or maybe it wasn't happening at first, I don't know.

This definitely sounds like a case of a loose pickup wire vibrating against the top or back of the instrument. Most pickups come with little stick-on clips to hold the loose wires in place. A guitar shop may be able to take care of that for you or you can try gluing or taping the wire in place. All depends on how accessible the wire is and how big are your hands!

Can you hold one of the tuning pegs still while you pluck the string? If not, can you enlist someone to hold the pegs still (one at a time) while you pluck the string? I’m trying to propose a test that checks for a loose nut or peg.

A loose wire, or a wire resting lightly/loosely against wood can indeed be the cause, or a raised fret wire can be a cause, and a poorly glued or cracked brace inside the ‘ukulele can be the cause, but since you changed the tuning pegs I would look there.

I once had an electric ‘ukulele with steel strings and an adjustable/intonatable bridge. A poor adjustment caused a buzz from the bridge.

Can you hold one of the tuning pegs still while you pluck the string? If not, can you enlist someone to hold the pegs still (one at a time) while you pluck the string? I’m trying to propose a test that checks for a loose nut or peg.

A loose wire, or a wire resting lightly/loosely against wood can indeed be the cause, or a raised fret wire can be a cause, and a poorly glued or cracked brace inside the ‘ukulele can be the cause, but since you changed the tuning pegs I would look there.

I once had an electric ‘ukulele with steel strings and an adjustable/intonatable bridge. A poor adjustment caused a buzz from the bridge.
Gave this a shot and even tightened the nut further. No change in buzzing whatsoever. Everything's pointing to those internal wires, but they look well maintained. They're all bundled up with some tape, and there's two wires running from the electronics in The sound hole to the strap button, which is the cable jack. I can see how the wire running to the Jack might be touching the top or bottom, but it's very hard to tell.

Last edited:
This is an Enya uke? Through bridge with their little washer thingies that you tie to the ends of the strings? I got buzzing from one of those working into a position where I think it basically rattled against the top.

Yeah it's an Enya with that style of bridge, with beads, but I just didn't bother putting the beads back in, and just tied the strings in a knot. The Nova tenor didn't have beads, so I just did what I already had experience with.

Yeah it's an Enya with that style of bridge, with beads, but I just didn't bother putting the beads back in, and just tied the strings in a knot. The Nova tenor didn't have beads, so I just did what I already had experience with.
It might still be worth twiddling with the knot - a pokey end could also rattle (and may have been my issue rather than the bead).

Top Bottom