Have you ever given a Uke to someone else?

JackLuis

Reaction score
Three years ago I had surgery and the Drs said I may never play Uke again, cause they cut my left arm up to get a piece of bone to fix my Skull. Well I had a nine Uke collection and lots of Nephews, so I gave my two sopranios to the two youngest 5 & 8 yer olds Grand nephews, a Concert to my 20 yer old nephew, and a Tenor to my older 21year old nephew. I also gave a Guitarlele that I couldn't play to my Nieces Husband and father of my Grand Nephews.

Well after two months and a lot of pain, I was able to chord again and used the uke to regain flexibility in my fingers. I still don't play as much as before but I'm trying to play every day.

So far they have all learned to play at least a little and next Thanksgiving at my niece's annual dinner I'll try to get them all together to play and record a video. I'm thinking to play the Beatles, "With a little help from my Friends" which isn't to hard or to much of a stretch to sing would be good.

So I'm happy to have given the gift of music to my family and love of the Uke as well.

A long, long time ago they used part of my pelvic bone. So, at least I have an excuse for being half-assed. I'm told they now use cadaver bone, but I'm not at all interested in pursuing it further. Once is plenty.

With you. I had radiation treatments in 1973 for Hodgkins Disease, chemo was not invented yet. Over the years the radiation has taken it's toll, killed my thyroid, damaged my coronary arteries requiring quintuple by-pass. Then years after, had to have another open heart surgery to replace two heart valves. I also had bladder cancer, but the worst of it is damage to my spinal cord nerves at my neck, which makes it difficult to hold up my head (neck braces make it worse), forces me to sit while playing and makes it uncomfortable to play standard depth ukes. I'm slowly raffling off those styles to my uke group, with proceeds going to The Ukulele Kids Club, and now play only thinlines.

Last edited:
I’m with you, too. I’ve passed all of my ukuleles except two, down to each of my five grand children. My Santa Cruz Om/Pw guitar and Deering Eagle II banjo went to my youngest son, a Taylor 414 to my oldest son. All of the instruments I’ve owned and played over the years have been passed down to my kids and grand kids except my two ukuleles of my ukuleles, a Kamaka HF2, a Martin 0 tenor sinker hog and my Martin D-18, and they have been spoken for when I croak. I feel that as a grandpa that the greatest gift that I can give to my children and grandchildren is the love of God, the love of making music music, more importantly, the love of family, and the love others, and the love for one’s self unconditionally.

Tom

Last edited:
Three years ago I had surgery and the Drs said I may never play Uke again, cause they cut my left arm up to get a piece of bone to fix my Skull. Well I had a nine Uke collection and lots of Nephews, so I gave my two sopranios to the two youngest 5 & 8 yer olds Grand nephews, a Concert to my 20 yer old nephew, and a Tenor to my older 21year old nephew. I also gave a Guitarlele that I couldn't play to my Nieces Husband and father of my Grand Nephews.

Well after two months and a lot of pain, I was able to chord again and used the uke to regain flexibility in my fingers. I still don't play as much as before but I'm trying to play every day.

So far they have all learned to play at least a little and next Thanksgiving at my niece's annual dinner I'll try to get them all together to play and record a video. I'm thinking to play the Beatles, "With a little help from my Friends" which isn't to hard or to much of a stretch to sing would be good.

So I'm happy to have given the gift of music to my family and love of the Uke as well.
Good to see you back on the forum. I’m sorry to hear of your health issues but at least you’re on the mend. We tend to take good health for granted but it can disappear overnight.

I’ve given a lot of cheaper instruments away. One went to the wife of an acquaintance to allow her to play to her children, she was so pleased and that made the gift worthwhile - spread and give the gift of music. Many more have gone to a friend who has a Uke group that plays, at a support centre, to Cancer sufferers and their families. All the instruments were cheapies, mostly second hand, and well set-up to play nicely - spread the joy of Uke. I’m not a wealthy man but I can give a little to good causes.

My own family have no interest in Ukes, but I’m OK with that because parents and the older generation have to let the young find their own path (whilst we still watch out for them).

Keep getting better and here’s hoping that you’ll have much happy playing yet to come.

A long, long time ago they used part of my pelvic bone. So, at least I have an excuse for being half-assed. I'm told they now use cadaver bone, but I'm not at all interested in pursuing it further. Once is plenty.
It (cadaver bone) does work. A very good friend of mine (that I shamefully sold a uke to before his accident) had to do it after a bad fall on his arm/shoulder. He's nearly back to normal... about 2 years now. The uke is helping him recover.

Last edited:
I MIGHT have . . .

Several years ago I took up the ukulele and it was an absolute disaster. I tried for six weeks to learn to play, but had a complete brain-freeze and couldn't remember a single chord - so I gave up. Shortly after that, my ukulele just seemd to disappear. To this day I can't remember if I sold it, traded it or just gave it away . . . .

I gave several concert Shark ukes to the Boys and Girls Club. They were brand new. (One of our members sent a flight concert to donate as well.)
Our uke club was teaching the kids how to play. Then COVID happened.

I donated a couple of tenors for auction to benefit the club.

I offered to send tenor ukes to my grand-niece and nephew. Neither was interested.

Several given to different students at my school over the years... This one kid I've given two. He's a good player and enjoys it. I give him one, and then after a while he doesn't seem to have it anymore. And then he workes up the nerve to ask for another one... and he's playing around school for a few months...

I haven't seen him playing for a while... I bet he's working up the nerve to ask again. I think I'm going to send him home with one of my loaners for the summer.

And another one in the fall, if the pattern holds!

I actually started to play when my granddaughter asked her mom for one. I thought I'd be able to develop a relationship with her using the Ukes. My next door neighbor is a guitar player in a gig band and taught me a lot about chords and rythem playing. Gary and I played on Seasonistas, a the Sunburst Singers for a couple of years until my cancer and radiation ruined my hand and stamina.
I play mostly cheap Caramel Ukes thouh I have a nice Rosewood and cedar top Ohana, but Rosie stays in her case and my Carmel hang on the wall next to my computer so I can grab one of them eazily. I really like Baritone and Bari-Tenor, but have two C tuned Concerts. I need to get my music out nd start playing different tunes to expand my familiarity with more chords.

I’ve given each of my two sons soprano ukes. One stuck with it and still plays, one switched to guitar. I think learning some ukulele first gave him a skill base that helped with guitar. My daughter played guitar for a few years before I even started uke. She has little interest in standard tuned ukes, though lately my baritone has been living in her room. She did admit that for one song, at least, standard uke sounded “pretty”, though, so that’s a step. If she ever really got to liking gcea tuning, I’d give her my spruce top tenor uke.

Reactions: TBB
I have given a uke to my brother Bob. It was an inexpensive $60 uke that had been around the house for ages.
When I bought my newest uke, I took my sister Sharon with me and an Oscar Schmidt tenor uke that I was gonna trade. It listed at about $180, but when they only offered me $50 on a trade, I gave it to my sister. She has a couple of guitars and said she's like to give the uke a try too.
I have given banjos, a mandolin and a guitar to folks as well.

Yes. 7 of them come to mind. And a Ubass.

Reactions: TBB
Top Bottom