Have you picked up a ukulele today?

Did weekly humidifier management.
Tried to play through my Hawaiian Mele but neither my brain nor my fingers wanted to play.

On a side note, yes I’ve been trying to get levels to the sweet point to get my electric pono going thru my guitar pedal board. Even with a preamp, all the pedal settings need to be tweaked and optimized. .
If I may ask… what sort of pickup do you have in your Pono, and how do you like it?

Nope! But we did a show yesterday for a room full of ALF residents and tourists. I'm good.

Started a new Daniel Ward arpeggio meditation (Nebula. Nope I’m not doing them in order!). I really like that they’re so easy to memorize. Now I’m measuring and plotting and figuring out which ukulele gets some setup improvements first.

Finished an arrangement yesterday, Today I practiced chords in 5ths tuning, did a bit of machete work, and continued progress on a Gceg arrangement of Gaspar Sanz’s Clarines Y Trompetas. Also did some guitar arrangement experiments in the early am. Briefly tried some concepts for a Canarios arrangement for Gceg, also.

It looks like a fair bit when I write it out! Mostly feels like doodling when I’m doing it.

Went to a jam with my regular tues morning group - had a few new people which made it more interesting. Practice sched with another group tomorrow for July concerts. Feeling a bit under the weather so may not go.

My wife just tested positive for Covid; me neg. Thought for sure I’d be positive cuz we shared food yesterday.

Last edited:
Did more Bach today.
I'm sure Johan is laughing,
I think old Bach would have gotten a huge kick out hearing his stuff played on ukulele.

Starting a low G arrangement of the Faure Pavane.
Tom, I love your delicious arrangement, and you've given me permission to share it with other fans of the Pavane. I’m not up to playing it for others just yet, but I’m working on it! Here’s the file, everybody:

Attachments

• UKE Faure Pavane (Tom McArdle).pdf
    38.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
If so, what did you play? Whether it was a practice routine, a song you've mastered, a song you're trying to master, or just noodling...share what you're working on!

If you haven't picked up a uke today...it's not too late! Go grab one and strum a couple chords 😁

Here's a little tune I've been noodling with on my Kamaka HF-3L strung with low octave GCEA.
View attachment 174745
I've been playing my Martin 5K as much as my bum shoulder/neck will allow!

I'm currently hacking-and-slashing my way through that metal favorite, "Twinkle. Twinkle, Little Star." (I believe All That Remains is about to release their cover any day now...) My transitions are either too slow, too early, or too awful, but I'm having fun w/ each time I get G7 right more often than wrong, so what's not to love?

I've been playing my Martin 5K as much as my bum shoulder/neck will allow!

I'm currently hacking-and-slashing my way through that metal favorite, "Twinkle. Twinkle, Little Star." (I believe All That Remains is about to release their cover any day now...) My transitions are either too slow, too early, or too awful, but I'm having fun w/ each time I get G7 right more often than wrong, so what's not to love?
Best advice I got from a competent strummer friend was to land the new chord on time, even if you have to head there two beats early and strum open strings on the way. This is also possibly how a lot of metal gets played 😁

Best advice I got from a competent strummer friend was to land the new chord on time, even if you have to head there two beats early and strum open strings on the way. This is also possibly how a lot of metal gets played 😁
It took me at least three reads of the above before I realized what was going on. I thought the emoji was just for the last sentence. Yeah, I ain't the sharpest pencil in the box. Hahahaha! Que chiste!

Yesterday I sanded the saddle and nut slots on Blue, a little Enya laminate concert. Currently wearing baby baritone strings, and much easier to play, now! First time that I’d messed with a saddle, so now I’m feeling braver about making more minor adjustments on my fancier sopranos.

Here’s what those strings sound like on a concert, if anyone is curious! (With apologies because I haven’t figured out how to make less extraneous noise on fat strings, yet 😆)
View attachment Blue LB chords.m4a
View attachment Blue chords.m4a

Last edited:
I'd never heard a concert uke before. I love the mellow tone! I also liked how rich the lower notes were, but the high-register notes came through quite clearly - no muddiness at all.*

Hoo boy, am I looking at yet another uke? Yah, I kinda am. o_O

If the above is actually gobbledygook with no basis in reality, my wife has a bunch of stories to back up that assessment of my critical thinking skills...

I'd never heard a concert uke before. I love the mellow tone! I also liked how rich the lower notes were, but the high-register notes came through quite clearly - no muddiness at all.*

Hoo boy, am I looking at yet another uke? Yah, I kinda am. o_O

If the above is actually gobbledygook with no basis in reality, my wife has a bunch of stories to back up that assessment of my critical thinking skills...
This is not a standard concert uke!!!! 🤣

I basically have baritone tuning set up on a concert ukulele. It’s a $60 instrument and I use it for fun experiments like this. If you like those mellow tones, take a listen to some baritone ukuleles :)

Top Bottom