Hawaiian Phrase Ideas, Anyone?

faithtruthlove07

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am looking at getting a tattoo that I designed in the shape of an 'ukulele. A treble clef makes up the neck of the uke and goes into the body of it as well. I'll try to get a picture of it uploaded here sometime soon.

Anyways, I'd like to get some kind of hawaiian phrase about music in flowing lines above or below the 'uklele. Could you guys give me any ideas? I exhausted my artistic ability on the drawing haha :eek:

Thanks, friends!

What do ukulele's mean to you? Try to think of a phrase or comment that speaks to you and maybe someone can translate it or you can just put it in whatever language you like.

The most important thing is that your tattoo speaks to you and who you are, imho.

The most important thing is that your tattoo speaks to you and who you are, imho.

That is very true !
You need to discover what is right for you

Just go for the uke and leave the text out. In 99% of the cases it does not have the impact of a graphic, and many times it is awkward for a real native. Language is a difficult thing. Too many people out there with stupid Chinese/Japanese characters on their body that don't mean sh*t... Just a thought ;)

Just go for the uke and leave the text out. In 99% of the cases it does not have the impact of a graphic, and many times it is awkward for a real native. Language is a difficult thing. Too many people out there with stupid Chinese/Japanese characters on their body that don't mean sh*t... Just a thought ;)

i agree 100% with the ninja on this one. there are whole websites dedicated to the misinterpretation of chinese/japanese characters on tattoos. it's funny, sad and permanent!

i agree 100% with the ninja on this one. there are whole websites dedicated to the misinterpretation of chinese/japanese characters on tattoos. it's funny, sad and permanent!

Haha yes!
I watched Miami Ink, and a customer walked in with a japaneese character on his neck, and Joji was just like "What thee??" it truly didn't mean what he though

Hey! I take offense to that! I have a kanji Japanese character on my arm and I know exactly what it means because I researched it and had a friend who knew how to speak and spell in Japanese. :p

Thanks so much guys for your opinions. :cool: As for the whole chinese/japanese symbols, I agree, never liked them much cos with my luck some dude probably would have a huge sense of humor and put something totally wrong if I ever wanted one. No offense to those who have researched and have friends who speak/write the language =P

Here's the tat I drew, I'm a horrible artist though, so the tat artist will have to embellish a little =) lol

Last edited:
Hey! I take offense to that! I have a kanji Japanese character on my arm and I know exactly what it means because I researched it and had a friend who knew how to speak and spell in Japanese. :p

He is saying people who don't do what you did... People who go to the parlor, go "I want a tatoo, what should I get? Hmm this one looks cool" and instead of saying faith or something it says hello. So no need to take offense :)

Thanks so much guys for your opinions. :cool: As for the whole chinese/japanese symbols, I agree, never liked them much cos with my luck some dude probably would have a huge sense of humor and put something totally wrong if I ever wanted one. No offense to those who have researched and have friends who speak/write the language =P

Here's the tat I drew, I'm a horrible artist though, so the tat artist will have to embellish a little =) lol

I think that will be cool!

He is saying people who don't do what you did... People who go to the parlor, go "I want a tatoo, what should I get? Hmm this one looks cool" and instead of saying faith or something it says hello. So no need to take offense :)
I was only joking. If I cared what people think about what I do, I wouldn't get a tattoo, lol. ;)

Please post a picture of the tattoo. In my experience, and I bet the ninja will back me up here, kanji tattoos on westerners are often odd if not jibberish. Even when the meaning isn't off, the calligraphy looks like either the Japanese equivalent of Times New Roman or like it was drawn by a fourth-grader. Hopefully yours is an exception.

I spent a number of years in Japan but never saw a dude with English "strength" on his arm or a chick with English "peace" on her ankle.

Please post a picture of the tattoo. In my experience, and I bet the ninja will back me up here, kanji tattoos on westerners are often odd if not jibberish. Even when the meaning isn't off, the calligraphy looks like either the Japanese equivalent of Times New Roman or like it was drawn by a fourth-grader. Hopefully yours is an exception.

I spent a number of years in Japan but never saw a dude with English "strength" on his arm or a chick with English "peace" on her ankle.
I don't want to turn this thread into something like that. I already know what it stands for and have had many Japanese people comment on it.

I don't want to turn this thread into something like that. I already know what it stands for and have had many Japanese people comment on it.

Did you consider that maybe they were just being polite? I am not giving you a hard time here, but most people are not going to walk up to you and say "oh that is jibberish". Ok, I do that to strangers but I am outside the mainstream that way.

(I don't say it if the person is a burly thug)

Did you consider that maybe they were just being polite? I am not giving you a hard time here, but most people are not going to walk up to you and say "oh that is jibberish". Ok, I do that to strangers but I am outside the mainstream that way.

(I don't say it if the person is a burly thug)
Ok, maybe you are right. It looks like this:

i-love-you-kanji.jpg

Top Bottom