Hello from a 76 year old Montana newbie! My name is Susan Westphal

MontanaSue

Reaction score

So great that I found this forum. My Ukulele instructor recommended that I join this forum..so here I am!
I have been plucking away now for almost a year and have perty much taught myself with tons of practice from UTube tutorials. It took me few months before I could play and sing at the same time. I didn't give up and kept pressing on. Now I have joined group/jam sessions here in Belgrade Montana and also in Santa Rosa Beach, Florida with the snowbirds while we winter for 3 months. Playing my uke makes me happy and brings me so much joy! Much like my passion for linedancing!
I am now looking to upgrade my Ukulele that would be a good fit for me. Also I know I will need to spend extra money to get a good one. . I have done alot of research and received many recommendations from my teachers. I am looking at a Koaloha Opio concert, Pono Acacia concerts and some Cynthia Linn Mahogony series. Any suggestions and thoughts 🤔 any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 20220907_181252.jpg
    20220907_181252.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 17
So great that I found this forum. My Ukulele instructor recommended that I join this forum..so here I am!
I have been plucking away now for almost a year and have perty much taught myself with tons of practice from UTube tutorials. It took me few months before I could play and sing at the same time. I didn't give up and kept pressing on. Now I have joined group/jam sessions here in Belgrade Montana and also in Santa Rosa Beach, Florida with the snowbirds while we winter for 3 months. Playing my uke makes me happy and brings me so much joy! Much like my passion for linedancing!
I am now looking to upgrade my Ukulele that would be a good fit for me. Also I know I will need to spend extra money to get a good one. . I have done alot of research and received many recommendations from my teachers. I am looking at a Koaloha Opio concert, Pono Acacia concerts and some Cynthia Linn Mahogony series. Any suggestions and thoughts 🤔 any help would be greatly appreciated!
Welcome Sue! If possible I would try those ukes in person. The feel and sound of various brands can be quite different. The only one I have first hand knowledge is the Opio. I have a tenor in low g and like it. I also have a Kanele’a in high g. Each has a different sound and feel. I like both for different things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Warm welcome from Wisconsin. You'll love being a part of this forum. Great people, great advice, great Ukes!! My favorites are the Tenor size Ukes, and the brands I like are KoAloha, Romero Creations, Pono, and now the Oli brand on the Ukulele site. Enjoy your adventure in Uke hunting...warning...it gets addictive 🤣🤣🤣

Welcome, Susan, from Atlanta!
Santa Rosa Beach (and Walton County, FL in general) has been one of my family’s favorite destinations for over 30 years.
Here’s a short cover of an old favorite in honor of your last name & your love of dancing (not line dancing :giggle: but dancing just the same):

Last edited:
Welcome, Susan! You two make a very handsome couple, I must say! I had a colleague in the newspaper business named David Westphal, from Iowa. Any relation?

You’ll like it here on UU. Lots of friendly, encouraging, nonjudgmental people willing to share their expertise and advice. Have fun!

Welcome to the UU forums! I'm glad you're enjoying your ukulele journey so much. I agree if there's any way you can test drive some that you're interested in, that's the way to go. Enjoy the search! And we look forward to a NUD (new ukulele day) post when you finally bring a new one home!

Welcome to the UU Forum, Susan. Glad to hear how much fun you’re having on your ukulele journey. I have a KoAloha Opio concert and it’s my uke of choice for group jam sessions. Well built, easy to play, excellent tone, and lots of volume - I can actually hear myself when playing in a large group of people! Just a great all-round workhorse, at a reasonable price.

Welcome I hope that you enjoy your playing and your time here.

I suspect that any of the Ukes that you mention would serve you just fine and suggest that, if at all possible you try before you buy. The set-up of a Uke is quite important too, I’ll leave you to research on that.

You don’t mention what instrument you have at the moment, it might well be something that’s still perfectly adequate for your needs for a year or two ahead. Just like buying a racing car doesn’t make us into stars of the racetrack so buying an expensive Uke doesn’t make us into star players. Unfortunately skill can’t be bought easily but we can have fun whilst we improve and you don’t need to be good to have fun on a Uke. The important thing is to play and, if you can, to take lessons when you can from a teacher who suits your needs; sounds like you’re doing those things already.

My preference is for mahogany over acacia, I think that the former has a more rounded sound. The Cynthia Linn models might well appeal to the ladies and how you feel about your Uke is important - does even just looking at it lighten your heart, etc. Of course ‘bling’ doesn’t make any sound and it does cost money, but that can be OK; and it being an Ohana model means that it can be bought from Mim who has a pretty good reputation here. I’ve got a CK35 and am pretty pleased with it, it’s not the best but it’s good, it looks plenty smart enough, and I don’t need any extra bling 😉.

CK35 at Mim’s https://mimsukes.com/products/ohana-concert-ck-35s-all-solid-mahogany-matte-ukulele-u988 $260
CK35 CL at Mim’s https://mimsukes.com/products/ohana...ance-solid-mahogany-cutaway-ukulele-case-s810 $500 inc case.

I hope that those thoughts help. Good luck.

Last edited:
Welcome, Susan, it sounds like you’re already pretty well established with this fun little instrument! I don’t play concerts so I’m not in a position to offer you any advice, but all the ukes you’ve mentioned are well regarded on here. As others have mentioned, trying before you buy is a good idea, the feel of the neck etc. can have such a huge impact on whether you actually want to pick it up and play. Whatever you decide to do, enjoy the journey!

Welcome sue! Always best to try before you buy, if you can. I live too remote to find a decent ukulele, so I have to listen on YouTube. Good luck!
~Bob

Welcome, from another Susan!

Welcome to UU, MontanaSue!
It sounds as if you're having fun, learning lots and planning for more musical projects (or at least a new uke). I love the sound of mahogany, but I would love to try an Opio if I ever have the opportunity.

MontanaSue, I am a new member as well. I love Pono ukuleles. I have more than my share and plan to post a few soon.

Welcome Susan! There will probably be quite a difference in sound from mahogany to acacia so if you can play the two woods that people might have in your group you might be able to tell which sound you prefer.

Great!

My first "real" uke was a Pono AT-CR... after I had been playing plywood Kalas for a couple of years. A great uke that can be had for about $400 used. Highly recommended!

Welcome aboard and one word for a new ukulele Koaloha, Koaloha, Koaloha, ok three words. First off you are getting a K brand, although not made in Hawaii it has the DNA. I owned a Koaloha Opio concert and a made in Hawaii all koa Koaloha concert at the same time. I eventually sold the koa and kept the Opio. Both were great but bang for the buck Opio can't be beat

Welcome, Susan, from Atlanta!
Santa Rosa Beach (and Walton County, FL in general) has been one of my family’s favorite destinations for over 30 years.
Here’s a short cover of an old favorite in honor of your last name & your love of dancing (not line dancing :giggle: but dancing just the same):

Yes, we love Santa Rosa Beach too! . Have been wintering on 30A for past 13 years. Thank you for the video. Love it!. In fact I do linedance and teach a class down by us. Also teach back home as well.

Top Bottom