Hello from Florida!

smspears17

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm Staci, 32F, and I've recently gotten into the ukulele. It is so not good for my time management and wallet! Long time guitar player, and I was looking at switching it up and decided to pick up the mandolin. Cue instant frustration - that appears to be an ongoing battle. Someone mentioned to me that if I play guitar I might like ukulele, so I started that around the same time and to say I'm hooked is an understatement. This is an amazing little instrument and has brought the joy back into music for me. It has so quickly become my go to instrument for learning new songs and whenever I want to play for fun. UAS has hit me hard-core and I love every single one. Ukulele also led me to guitaleles and small scale guitars (parlour guitars) and it turns out my struggles with guitar have a little to do with practice and technique, and have everything to do with the fact that I'm playing instruments that are just a bit too large for me. I found the joy in music again and it is thanks to this amazing little instrument.

Welcome to UU, Staci!
I'm so happy that someone suggested trying the uke, and that it is such a perfect little fit for you. I hope you'll continue to develop and grow your musical skills, and that you may spread joy all around you!

Staci, I'm glad you figured this out relatively early in life. It took me until age 72 to discover that the uke was more agreeable to me than those big ol' dreadnoughts I'd been lugging around for decades.

Plus you can stick 6 or 8 of 'em in a corner and hardly notice the loss in square footage. I do, however, hang onto a mandolin to remind me there are still challenges ahead.

Happy uking.

Jim

Hi Stacie,
Welcome to the UU Forum. It's awesome that you enjoy playing the ukulele, and your uke helped you to realize that your guitar was just too big for you. You will have the best of both worlds with your parlor guitar and ukulele.

What size ukulele did you settle on? I'm just curious if you went for the traditional soprano. Which is very different from the guitar. Or, did you go for a baritone with similar tuning and sound to a parlor guitar?

Regardless, keep playing and having fun.

Welcome Staci, from another lifelong guitar player. I too have found a love for ukes, especially guileles. Have fun and enjoy your time here.

Welcome to UU Staci!

Welcome—yes, the jumping flea will addict you!

Hi Stacie,
Welcome to the UU Forum. It's awesome that you enjoy playing the ukulele, and your uke helped you to realize that your guitar was just too big for you. You will have the best of both worlds with your parlor guitar and ukulele.

What size ukulele did you settle on? I'm just curious if you went for the traditional soprano. Which is very different from the guitar. Or, did you go for a baritone with similar tuning and sound to a parlor guitar?

Regardless, keep playing and having fun.
So I started with soprano, but i usually am most comfortable with a concert, although I do really like tenor. Honestly not super interested in baritone, because if I want to go that low, I'll just swap over to guitar.

Top Bottom