Hello from Maryland!

Pissodes

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hi All!

I figured it was time to introduce myself as I've started to post after being silent for several months.

Im new to the ukulele having started in January of this year. My young daughter decided that she wanted to play and I figured I'd join her. She has moved on now, but I'm hooked!

I previously played guitar for a bit so stringed instruments aren't foreign to me. I do have one other instrument that I've been playing for over 30 years now. I'll let the below pic do all the talking.

Looking forward to our future discussions!

Best
Jared

1000003527.png

Yay! A piper!

Welcome to the forum, thanks for introducing yourself. And super glad that you're still hooked with the uke, it's an engaging instrument :)

We'd love to see your uke(s) whenever you feel like sharing. One of our favourite topics is looking at ukes, and commenting on gorgeous ukes.

Yay! A piper!

Welcome to the forum, thanks for introducing yourself. And super glad that you're still hooked with the uke, it's an engaging instrument :)

We'd love to see your uke(s) whenever you feel like sharing. One of our favourite topics is looking at ukes, and commenting on gorgeous ukes.

I also know that I'm far from the only fan of bagpipes here, so we'll need happy to hear if those figure into the adventure somehow! 😁

Thanks so much for finding us, and for jumping in!

Thanks! I'd love to share some pics when I think my little collection is noteworthy. I'm good at buying things and UAS got the best of me at the beginning but I'm looking to thin out the herd of 4 to just two (for now...).

Thanks! I'd love to share some pics when I think my little collection is noteworthy. I'm good at buying things and UAS got the best of me at the beginning but I'm looking to thin out the herd of 4 to just two (for now...).
Lol have you spent any time here?! 🤣🤣🤣

Any ukulele is worthy of it's own portrait here on the UU forum! Even if it's not a keeper, we still wanna see!

Welcome to the UU Forum, Jared, and thanks for the great photo. I love the pipes! Having grown up in Nova Scotia, bagpipes were a frequent year-round feature at events large and small throughout the province. It was not uncommon for the Annual Natal Day Parade in Halifax to have at least 8-10 different pipe bands playing. Quite a stirring experience. The sheer force of the musical sound waves would often bring tears to my eyes. (Unfortunately, there are others who also cry at the sound of the pipes … but for a different reason. :) ) I do miss the sound of live bagpipes. Pipers are few and far between in most parts of Oregon (where I now reside.)

Hello, @Pissodes ! Are you anywhere near Rockville, MD? One of my fave uke players (and teacher) lives there, Ms Elizabeth Brinker. She is fantastic!

Hi Pissodes, I am new too! Welcome.

Do you think we might be able to get a bagpipes + ukulele arrangement of a song in the future? I am curious how that might sound!
Hi samsamteacher!

Interesting question that I hadn't considered. I just searched for bagpipes and ukulele which did result in some hits including a pipe tune that I know. Now just need the uke tabs to go along with it.

Hi Jared, welcome to the UU Forum.

I've known several bagpipe players over the years. I'm always in awe. Maybe that just the Scots ancestry coming out in me.

There is a Swedish big band jazz musician Gunhild Carling. She has several videos on YouTube playing swing music on the pipes instead of her more usual trombone or trumpet. Gunhild Carling in NY Central Park
Carling Big Band playing Bagpipe Blues:

If she can make the pipes work for jazz, a uke / bagpipe composition should be a snap. I think Leon Redbone would have approved.

Hi! I work in Rockville, but I live 30 miles away in Frederick. I could use some good instruction. May have to scout her out.

Cheers!
I think Liz Brinker is one of the best teachers and performers out there. She's an ace singer and songwriter, too. This is an original song she wrote about her neighborhood in Rockville.

Top Bottom