Hello from Vancouver Island :)

modwitch

I was dared to misbehave
UU VIP
Reaction score
Oops, I probably should have posted here first. I’ve been lurking for months (and not signing up because I have a book to finish and no self-control with internet distractions 🤣). Got a $47 Enya uke in December, strummed a little, discovered fingerstyle, discovered Sam Muir and Lute to Uke, discovered Rob Collins (most of that was discovered lurking here). I adore my Rob Collins soprano and it’s teaching me so much. Happy to be here. Pretty sure it’s going to get expensive. (I uncloaked because of a uke for sale in marketplace…)

Hey ModWitch, welcome from SW Florida!!!
Anxious to see a pic or two of the Robert Collins soprano.

Hey another Best Coaster!! Welcome! I'm in the Cowichan Valley.

FYI we have two super well respected luthiers right here on VI:

Not to enable or anything 🙃
Hello!!!

And lol I know but I can’t afford either of those guys. I saw a Lone Tree guitar in person the other day though, and the sound. Guh. (I don’t play guitar, but the person drooling over it fortunately did.)

Hello!!!

And lol I know but I can’t afford either of those guys. I saw a Lone Tree guitar in person the other day though, and the sound. Guh. (I don’t play guitar, but the person drooling over it fortunately did.)
My music teacher has a tenor ukulele by Steve Doreen before he became Lone Tree. It's lovely. That's probably as close as I'll get to one!

My music teacher has a tenor ukulele by Steve Doreen before he became Lone Tree. It's lovely. That's probably as close as I'll get to one!
Yeah, they were a lot less expensive even a few years ago. Much credit to them and their gorgeous craft and I’m glad they can make a living from their work. I’m just glad there are luthier-made instruments I can afford. It’s magic to hold and play something someone else made.

Your Rob Collins soprano is gorgeous! I look forward to your posts over on the Classical thread so that we can hear its voice.
It will be a few days - I just changed strings and it’s currently going out of tune every 4.5 seconds 😆

It will be a few days - I just changed strings and it’s currently going out of tune every 4.5 seconds 😆
Lol yeah I just did that with my Moon Bird last night (the E was starting to fray so it definitely wanted changing). Lots of playing, tuning, playing, tuning... I want it mostly settled by my next lesson on Tuesday so I'm really trying to get it there!!

You have more varieties of stringed things than I do! (I come from violin and also accidentally acquired a mandolin before stumbling on ukulele).

Rob’s photos do this little uke more justice than mine: View attachment 173028View attachment 173029
This is a real pretty instrument!!!
I've always played strings exclusively, though I'm not sure why.
Have some fun with that gorgeous uku!

Welcome, modwitch, from another Canadian. I’m from Nova Scotia originally, but before moving to the U.S (now currently in Oregon), I lived in Vancouver BC for a number of years. My brother is still there, and we have relatives in the Victoria area, so the connection to my homeland is still strong. Lots of Canucks on the UU Forums, so pull up a chair and make yourself at home. :)

Welcome, modwitch, from another Canadian. I’m from Nova Scotia originally, but before moving to the U.S (now currently in Oregon), I lived in Vancouver BC for a number of years. My brother is still there, and we have relatives in the Victoria area, so the connection to my homeland is still strong. Lots of Canucks on the UU Forums, so pull up a chair and make yourself at home. :)
I spent a year in Nova Scotia, several in Oregon, and some in Seattle, so lots of overlap locations! Happy to see so many Canadians around :)

Welcome to UU, modwitch!
I'm late catching up with new members, so by now I actually have a feeling I'm starting to know you a bit already. I've come across so many threads wehere I've seen your input. Keep it up!

Welcome to UU, modwitch!
I'm late catching up with new members, so by now I actually have a feeling I'm starting to know you a bit already. I've come across so many threads wehere I've seen your input. Keep it up!
Haha - chatty, I am! I lurked for months (knowing full well I’d find it an excellent time sink to actually be able to post here), so it was easy to jump right in.

Better food selection. There is amazing food on Vancouver Island, especially in the Cowichan Valley (yes, I am biased). But the selection of food, especially international selection, is outstanding in Vancouver.
Fair, lol. But that international selection is my food happy place.

Top Bottom