Hello!

Ferjenny

Reaction score
Greetings! I’ve been playing ukulele for a couple years, and have read many posts on this forum looking for advice. I figured it was time to say hi.
I had never played a stringed instrument before. I’m still trying to decide which size is right for me. I started with baritone, and have gone down the line and landed at soprano. I still have one concert, but I rarely play it.
Does anyone on here bounce between sizes?
Thanks!

Tenor and soprano, but mostly soprano now. But LOTS of members here play different sizes, different tunings, etc regularly.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for introducing yourself!

What kinds of music do you enjoy playing or that you would like to learn how to play on the ukulele?

Tenor and soprano, but mostly soprano now. But LOTS of members here play different sizes, different tunings, etc regularly.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for introducing yourself!

What kinds of music do you enjoy playing or that you would like to learn how to play on the ukulele?
Hello!
I mostly like folk tunes, blue grass, or 60s classic rock.
Soprano seems to be mostly associated with ragtime-type tunes, but I’m not interested in that kind of music. So I’m hoping to pick up some other styles.
I’ve strung up one of my sopranos with a low g to get a more “bluesy” sound, if that’s possible!

Greetings! I’ve been playing ukulele for a couple years, and have read many posts on this forum looking for advice. I figured it was time to say hi.
I had never played a stringed instrument before. I’m still trying to decide which size is right for me. I started with baritone, and have gone down the line and landed at soprano. I still have one concert, but I rarely play it.
Thanks!
Hi, and welcome to the forum.
I bounce between concert, U-bass, banjolele and a mandolin banjo.

Hi. Welcome. I played mostly my old Harmony baritone but my nephew gave me a soprano that belonged to his dad, my little brother, after he died and my interest in ukes was rekindled. I recently got a very playable tenor, low G. These instruments are fun. I play a lot of old songs from the 1920's - 1950's. I do not think that the uke is limited to any musical forms, just play what you like.

Welcome Jennifer. I've switched between tenor and baritone, and uke and guilele. Nice thing.....all sorts of flavors! Enjoy the fun!

Soprano seems to be mostly associated with ragtime-type tunes, but I’m not interested in that kind of music
I play early and classical music on a linear tuned (low G) soprano. No need to stereotype ukuleles, just find the size, tuning and voice that works for the music you want to play and make it happen 😊

Welcome JenniferJS. Thanks for joining. Many of us lurked before joining the Forum.

I play tenors exclusively. I prefer the sound for what I mostly play: folk, blues and some pop music. Baritone might be better for some, but I have a hard enough time remembering the chords and notes for gCEA and GCEA, without having to switch my mental pictures for DGBE.

After playing chords for a few years, I'm learning the fretboard for picking. But it's a slow process for me.

I did get a tenor banjolele for some of the folk and bluegrass songs I play that just cry out for a banjo sound. I'm working on training my right hand for that method of playing as well.

I found my niche and scale that I love. As others have said, play what speaks to you. There is no "correct" size, stringing, materials, design, etc. Just what you enjoy.

Hello!

I am a soprano player too. I have a baritone which I use when I'm playing with other musicians - it is an easy way to change key. But if it was just me, my preference will always be exclusively sopranos.

You definitely grow into soprano ukes. :)

Thanks!
Hello!

Yes I “bounce” from 8 string Tenor, to concert figure 8, banjolele and reso, to Soprano and Soparino. All the Ukes for all the jobs, if I can’t use it I won’t keep it I’m no collector.
I should be a lot better after 17 years but I’m not.

Top Bottom