Help identify this Kamaka Ukulele and looking for luthier/repair near Los Angeles

Slackinaround

Reaction score
My grandpa passed and I got this ukulele, it was stored for awhile and I guess it must have got too hot and the strings pulled off the bridge.

Questions I have:
What's it worth?
What decade is it from?
What would be a fair price to get it fixed and restrung so I can play it?
Any luthiers near the Los Angeles area you can recommend?

Mahalo!

Attachments

• IMG_1686.JPG
    IMG_1686.JPG
    250.8 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1687.JPG
    IMG_1687.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 94
This is from the Kamaka website: https://kamakahawaii.com/support/dating-your-uke.html
Gold labels were used in the 1950s and 1960s. These ukuleles did not have serial numbers like the modern ones, so dating to a specific year is very difficult.

You can look on Reverb or Ebay to estimate current value. Condition matters a lot. Re-gluing the bridge shouldn't be too expensive for a professional luthier. Damage like cracks or warps can be very expensive to repair. Vintage Kamakas in very good condition often sell for $400 and up.

Those tuning pegs do not look original. Modifications like that can effect your value.

My grandpa passed and I got this ukulele, it was stored for awhile and I guess it must have got too hot and the strings pulled off the bridge.

Questions I have:
What's it worth?
What decade is it from?

Mahalo!
Don't know about luthiers in Cali but I have one of that era and they are wonderful little ukes. I'd say well worth restoring. Hope you find a luthier and enjoy that awesome uke!

I use 13th Street Guitar in Huntington Beach, and I've been pleased with them. They work by appointment only, so call first. Island Bazaar, just a couple blocks away is a great shop, but I have no experience with their luthier. McCabe's in Santa Monica is often recommended. I believe that McCabe and Island Bazaar are both official Kamaka dealers. @KohanMike likes Eric's likes Eric's Guitar in the San Fernando Valley, but I have no experience with them either.

Last edited:
Where are you located near LA? As Ailevin mentioned, I've been going to Eric's Guitar repair in Van Nuys, CA near Roscoe and the 405 for over 7 years. Eric and Billy are great, and good people. If you go there, please say Michael Kohan sent you.

Hey everyone, I appreciate all the replies! I'll look into your suggestions and I already have plans to take a beginner class with my friend who runs a hula studio in my area. They play and sing songs in hawaiian, I'm very much looking forward to it.

Questions I have:
What's it worth?
What decade is it from?

Mahalo!
Very cool Soprano/standard uke! Maybe you can send it to Kamaka? It shouldn’t be too bad to reflux the bridge. You can also ask them to put new tuners on. Are there any other cracks? Sorry about your grandfather.

Condolences on your loss, and consider that little uke a connection your grandfather. Do you remember him ever playing it?

You’ve come to the right place. Welcome to UU, and I hope you have many happy years playing thar sweet little instrument.

Hey everyone, I appreciate all the replies! I'll look into your suggestions and I already have plans to take a beginner class with my friend who runs a hula studio in my area. They play and sing songs in hawaiian, I'm very much looking forward to it.
Hi. I'm in L.A. and new to ukes, too. Just wondering if you have any updates on the luthier? Where did you go, and how did it work for you? Also, I'm curious about your lessons and whether your kumu friend is open to having other students. I'm interested in learning Hawaiian music. Thanks!

I have also had good work done by Lyndon Johansen, a luthier working through Island Bazaar in Huntington Beach.

Top Bottom