Song Help Request Help with duets for Ukulele and Clarinet

Altrove

Reaction score
My best friend plays clarinet and I wanted to know if there are some duets already arranged to play together. Level intermediate, we both can read scores not only tabs. Preferably classic music but not exclusively. Even your own compositions if you have any.

I know that I can just arrange the guitar part, but I hope to find something “ready to play”. Thank you :)

Just an idea: since the flute is in the key of C, maybe look for clarinet and flute duets? Or piano and clarinet duets?

It would be amazing if there were clarinet and ukulele duets already available, but it seems unlikely. Maybe you are the one who will begin that!

Thanks for asking, @Altrove! I don’t know the answer but am also interested in this topic. Somewhere I heard, read or dreamed that sax players (possibly all brass instrumentalists) prefer the key of Bb. Is there any basis to that?

Concert Bb and Eb are generally the keys that you will find for beginning band. It falls fairly comfortably for most of the band instruments. Certainly, as players develop and improve they play in a wide range of keys.

As to the original post, is the desire to find single line melody for both instruments or for the clarinet to play a melodic line while the uke is strumming accompaniment?

If you lower your ukulele one whole step, you will have what in this situation might be called a Bb ukuleke. Since the clarinet is a Bb instrument, you and your clarinet friend will be able to play melodies and chords as written on lead sheets. The clarinet would play the melody and you would play the chords.

In case an example would help, consider the opening of Matilda (or My Zelda, for Allan Sherman fans) in the key of C:

The opening three notes of the melody will be written C E G (Ma-til-da) and the accompanying chord will be C major. When a clarinet plays these C E G notes what we will hear is Bb D F. As the accompanist, you can transpose in your head as you play, always playing the chords a whole step lower than what is written. Or as I suggested above, you can tune your ukulele a whole step lower than usual and just play the chords (the fingering) as you are used to playing them. When you play the fingering that usually produces a C chord, it will now sound as a Bb chord. All of your other chord fingerings also will produce chords sounding a whole step lower, matching the clarinet, eliminating the need for you to transpose as you go along.

If you are planning to play as equal partners (rather than soloist and accompanist) and play from existing sheet music (such as the Teleman duets for violin or recorder) one of you will need to transpose your part to match the sound (pitch) of the other. If you want to play duets from sheet music written for two clarinets, you will need to transpose your part down one whole step (or use a "Bb ukulele" as described above). Etc. Etc.

Last edited:
You could pick something from here:

The chords are for C instruments, and the dots are for Bb! Most are pretty good.

Enjoy!

The ten or so duets that I checked had chords for C instrument and notation also for C instrument. This is an example of where tuning your ukulele down a whole step to F-Bb-D-G will allow you to play together with a clarinet without either of you having to transpose.

If you were to try to play these duets (at least the ones I checked) without retuning your ukulele, either you would need to play chords that are a whole step lower than what is written or the clarinet would need to play notes one whole step above what is written.

Thank you so much for your comments, hints and music! 🙂
Me and my friend are starting to try something.
For those who asked I would prefer the melody for ukulele, even if that it’s harder to match with the clarinet that’s an instrument that usually plays the melody too.

@dancephoto it’s intriguing the fact about retuning the ukulele, to be honest I didn’t think about that.

Top Bottom