Help With Fret Dot

about2

Reaction score
Whoops. My lovely 67 year old Favilla Baritone is missing a fret dot. I just noticed it this morning.

Not sure where I lost it - but I'm afraid it's gone.

Any idea where I can find a replacement?

I have a white bead I might file down to fit . . . but perhaps there's a better way.

Attachments

• IMG_2019.jpeg
    IMG_2019.jpeg
    128.3 KB · Views: 14
I have replaced dots by buying mother of pearl dots on ebay, OR cutting off a piece of a plastic rod, OR for vintage autenticity, made celluloid dots out of Fender heavy guitar picks with a tool for making holes, which I can't find an english name for.

huggepiber-roede.jpg

Whoops. My lovely 67 year old Favilla Baritone is missing a fret dot. I just noticed it this morning.

Not sure where I lost it - but I'm afraid it's gone.

Any idea where I can find a replacement?

I have a white bead I might file down to fit . . . but perhaps there's a better way.

Commiserations.

I suggest Googling: luthier supplies fretboard markers . I got quite a lot of results and something might suit.

A hollow punch might be quite expensive and I think that they’re really intended for relatively soft materials - some will cope with tougher stuff but …

As a temporary measure, and if you can still buy it, I’d be tempted to mask and fill the hole with typex.

I’d have thought that getting a colour match will be difficult but hopefully someone will chime in with material sources for a near match.

I have bought proper fret dots from Amazon. You will need to know the exact diameter in millimeters

....they’re really intended for relatively soft materials ......

I wouldn't suggest it if it didn't work!! See my photo of a 1947 ukulele with nice dots, cut out of celluloid picks with a hole punch!!

Thank you all. Good suggestions. Amazon does have some that will work, I think.

I can climb back from the ledge now.

StewMac.com usually has them in certain common diameters.

Just an update . . . I ended up just filing the hole with some spackling. Was too easy not to try. Seems to be working well.
That’s genius!

Top Bottom